Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Apple Carplay Disconnects Phone

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by gAy5
I'm having the same issues in my 2021 A4 with an iPhone Xs. On longer trips the CarPlay disconnects repeatedly. I thought maybe hooking it up to the cord might help but it's just the same, but I think I've discovered that that is operator error given that I recently read you need to disable the bluetooth for the corded version of CarPlay to work correctly. It's all very frustrating and I can't figure out if it's me, the phone or the car.
Could be the phone. Wireless CP was a hit and miss proposition with my Xs to the point where I hardwired all the time and turned off the WIFI in the car. Recently moved to an iphone 12 and wireless CP has been rock solid.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, NABS4. I really don't want a new phone but I guess if that's what if takes to fix this then I may have to relent. I'm just afraid I'll get the 12 and then have the same issues. I love the car and can't figure out whether to curse the car or the phone and I don't want to make an unscheduled trip to the dealer. If it persists after a new phone I guess I'll have the dealer look at it during the 10K service and prepare myself for the "could not duplicate" response.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the latest Iphone and am having cannot connect issues along with carplay black screen... SOOOO frustrating! Its not the phone.. its the app, also where is the flight info on the MMI??? Guess we lost it!
Old 08-22-2021, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an update to my issues with the CarPlay disconnecting with my iPhone XS in my 2021 A4. I decided to try a different phone to troubleshoot my issue so I bought a new iPhone 12 Mini but kept my old XS. After a few days with the new phone I took an extended drive, given that this was typically when the CarPlay would disconnect. Sure enough, after about a 45 minute drive with the new Mini in the wireless charger it disconnected. I looked at the phone and it displayed a thermometer and said the phone had overheated and would be disabled until it cooled down.
I took the 12 Mini back to the Apple store and reconnected my old XS. I thought maybe the issue might be the wireless charger cooking the phones so I disabled the wireless charger in the settings. I took a 200 mile, 4 hour trip yesterday with the phone in the cupholder and wonder of wonders the old XS didn't disconnect once. I'm not 100% convinced it was the wireless charger all along but it seems that way. I'll tell the dealer about it when I get the 10K service in a few months. Meanwhile, I'm a lot happier with the system. Knock on wood, brushed aluminum, high gloss piano plastic, et al.

Last edited by gAy5; 08-22-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I totally agree with your assessment, had the same issue with my Iphone XS on the wireless charger. My issue now is that it takes time for the iPhone to connect to the MMI, once connected, while driving, I press apple car play and the screen is black. I believe the buttons are there but just not visible. The only way to correct the problem is to stop and restart the car which is not always practical.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lisakc
I totally agree with your assessment, had the same issue with my Iphone XS on the wireless charger. My issue now is that it takes time for the iPhone to connect to the MMI, once connected, while driving, I press apple car play and the screen is black. I believe the buttons are there but just not visible. The only way to correct the problem is to stop and restart the car which is not always practical.
I've had the same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro. Disconnects for no apparent reason after playing fine for 15 or 20 minutes, or screen goes black, or will not respond to Siri voice commands to send texts or access music.
The solution has been to reset the MMI (push down the volume/on-off switch on the center console) for ten seconds until it all reboots.
The only thing is, once you do it, you'll have to log back into AudiConnect on the smart phone!
Old 08-23-2021, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gAy5
I have an update to my issues with the CarPlay disconnecting with my iPhone XS in my 2021 A4. I decided to try a different phone to troubleshoot my issue so I bought a new iPhone 12 Mini but kept my old XS. After a few days with the new phone I took an extended drive, given that this was typically when the CarPlay would disconnect. Sure enough, after about a 45 minute drive with the new Mini in the wireless charger it disconnected. I looked at the phone and it displayed a thermometer and said the phone had overheated and would be disabled until it cooled down.
I took the 12 Mini back to the Apple store and reconnected my old XS. I thought maybe the issue might be the wireless charger cooking the phones so I disabled the wireless charger in the settings. I took a 200 mile, 4 hour trip yesterday with the phone in the cupholder and wonder of wonders the old XS didn't disconnect once. I'm not 100% convinced it was the wireless charger all along but it seems that way. I'll tell the dealer about it when I get the 10K service in a few months. Meanwhile, I'm a lot happier with the system. Knock on wood, brushed aluminum, high gloss piano plastic, et al.
TSB regarding overheating. Audi recommends this accessory as a "solution".
Old 08-23-2021, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

The overheating issue is not specific to Audi, it happens with any QI charger that is not properly centered. That's one reason why MagSafe is the way to go. Another reason is that MagSafe can charge and iPhone 12 with 15W instead of the 7.5W Mac for QI.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is the Audi wireless charger mag safe?
Old 08-23-2021, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by lisakc
Is the Audi wireless charger mag safe?
No.

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay Disconnects Phone