Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Apple Wireless CarPlay doesn’t work Q5 2021

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple Wireless CarPlay doesn’t work Q5 2021

Hello folks,

I’ve just received my new Q5 2021 S-Line from the dealership today. Everything is working normally except for the Apple CarPlay Wireless. When i set it up, i get the prompt on my phone to enable wireless carplay but on the Car’s screen it says that i have to plug my phone via cable in order to enable carplay and the icon is greyed out and it says my phone has carplay on the Audi Smartphone Interface but when i click it nothing happens. From what I understand, all new Q5 2021 has wireless CarPlay as a standard feature. I have a 12 Pro Max. I tried my friend’s 11 Pro but i get the same issue. When I test drove the car(a test drive car) it worked flawlessly without any issues. I brought this to the dealership attention and they said some models doesn’t support Wireless carplay which i think is bogus. The hotspot on the car is switched off, does it have to do with not being able to connect wirelessly?

Can anyone help?
Old 05-05-2021, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not experienced your issue, but perhaps this could be useful:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...89148-0001.pdf
Old 05-06-2021, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use an iPhone 12Pro, and had a similar problem until discovering that you have to turn Car Play on in the iPhone settings.
On the iPhone, go to Settings/General/CarPlay and click on the car's network. An on/off button should appear. Make sure it's 'on.'
Then go to Connected Devices in the MMI and see if your iPhone shows up. I've found the MMI to be slow to find the phone when first starting the car, so give it a minute.
Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
jakirk2011 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 192 Likes on 151 Posts

I also had a problem when I first connected my IPhone (8+). The first time it connected no problem via Bluetooth. Connected my wife’s phone and mine wouldn’t connect any longer. Checked settings on both phones and they were identical. I deleted the info from both my phone and the Audi and retried it. Worked fine and I haven’t had an issue since. Both phones work fine now.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Proshifter
Hello folks,

I’ve just received my new Q5 2021 S-Line from the dealership today. Everything is working normally except for the Apple CarPlay Wireless. When i set it up, i get the prompt on my phone to enable wireless carplay but on the Car’s screen it says that i have to plug my phone via cable in order to enable carplay and the icon is greyed out and it says my phone has carplay on the Audi Smartphone Interface but when i click it nothing happens. From what I understand, all new Q5 2021 has wireless CarPlay as a standard feature. I have a 12 Pro Max. I tried my friend’s 11 Pro but i get the same issue. When I test drove the car(a test drive car) it worked flawlessly without any issues. I brought this to the dealership attention and they said some models doesn’t support Wireless carplay which i think is bogus. The hotspot on the car is switched off, does it have to do with not being able to connect wirelessly?

Can anyone help?
I haven’t had any problems with my iPhone 12 and CarPlay. You might want to try deleting the phone and starting over.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply guys. I literally tried every solution but I couldn’t get it to work. I still however get the prompt on my phone to connect to CarPlay wirelessly but nothing happens. I don’t know what to do.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 240 Likes on 176 Posts

Hello folks,

Can anyone help?
Just this morning, I got the same message, that I needed to have the phone connected by wire. But then it started working normally. I'm guessing they failed to take the warning about needed to be wired out of the software. Sounds like yours goes even one step farther though, and you really do need to have it plugged in. I have an iPhone 8 Plus with the latest iOS.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is the message that I get, check the attached pictures. Notice how my phone is greyed out without plugging the cable from the first initial setup via Bluetooth.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 240 Likes on 176 Posts

This is the message that I get, check the attached pictures. Notice how my phone is greyed out without plugging the cable from the first initial setup via Bluetooth.

Yes, I got exactly the same thing for a second or two, then it connected wirelessly.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve tried the wireless car play and have found it to be flaky and it takes a while to connect. Have been running the wired version and it’s just easier, more reliable, faster, etc… Yeah, the USB cable isn’t the best from an aesthetics pov, but it’s just that much better.

Quick Reply: Apple Wireless CarPlay doesn’t work Q5 2021