Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Connect "A connection error occurred."

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Connect "A connection error occurred."

Hello everyone,
I just recently got this 2018 Q5 and I like everything in it but the audi connect does not work and the dealership technician could not figure it out as well. They had to contact technical helpline and we are still waiting for their response. It seems to me to be a simple connection problem? I completed the sign up process on my.audi and had the dealer verify my contract and then when I go into the car and open up the MMI, i get this message when I try to register the key user.

Any of you guys seen something like this before?

Many thanks!
The following users liked this post:
041320 (09-24-2019)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that same error and I called the dealership and they told me it was because I wasn’t verified yet after I got the “go the dealership “verification email. I’m guessing from your post that thats hogwash.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Is it just the key user part that is generating this error? Do the other online functions work (Google Earth, etc etc)?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything works except what’s required of key user eg valet, parking, key lock out, etc...
Old 07-10-2018, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I can walk you through it tomorrow if that is ok
Old 07-10-2018, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 347 Likes on 273 Posts

Where are you located? That's the standard message for Canada since we cannot connect to the Audi servers (yet they still allow us to try....)
Old 07-12-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have tried it yesterday and it worked fine without having to do or fix anything, I was able to lock and unlock the car with my phone.

Turns out to be just another random connection error? Anyways thank you guys for the help, usually with new buggy gadgets like this the technicians themselves do not know what it going on. I find it much more useful to ask the forums
Old 07-13-2018, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same issue .. mine is related to dealer losing the original plastic keyfob with the code and then ordering a new keyfob, but not registering it to my car. I tried 4 times to connect and only have 6 more attempts left. Dealer was completely useless .. dropped the ball on this .. I had to contact Audi Connect customer care and they have escalated the issue and I am waiting for a resolution after 3 business days.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by fljoemon
I have the same issue .. mine is related to dealer losing the original plastic keyfob with the code and then ordering a new keyfob, but not registering it to my car. I tried 4 times to connect and only have 6 more attempts left. Dealer was completely useless .. dropped the ball on this .. I had to contact Audi Connect customer care and they have escalated the issue and I am waiting for a resolution after 3 business days.
Not sure why you would need a call from anyone...dealer should have explained this.

The plastic piece is car specific - the code is unique to your car. All that info is for is to make you the key user for purposes of the app.

Describe specifically what the car is showing you, and I can walk you through it from there (though not today likely, as it's a busy day)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Not sure why you would need a call from anyone...dealer should have explained this.

The plastic piece is car specific - the code is unique to your car. All that info is for is to make you the key user for purposes of the app.

Describe specifically what the car is showing you, and I can walk you through it from there (though not today likely, as it's a busy day)
Yes .. therein lies the issue .. the original plastic piece that was supposed to come with the car is lost .. dealer never found it as car was transferred from another local dealer. So the dealer ordered another one, but unfortunately he did not tie the code and make it unique to my car VIN. I have 6 more attempts left. I have contacted audi connect care and hopefully they will resolve it next week. If not, I will take a picture of the display where it says "wrong code" and post it.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect "A connection error occurred."