Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Connect "A connection error occurred."

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by fljoemon
Yes .. therein lies the issue .. the original plastic piece that was supposed to come with the car is lost .. dealer never found it as car was transferred from another local dealer. So the dealer ordered another one, but unfortunately he did not tie the code and make it unique to my car VIN. I have 6 more attempts left. I have contacted audi connect care and hopefully they will resolve it next week. If not, I will take a picture of the display where it says "wrong code" and post it.
When any parts department orders a replacement plastic keytag, it can only done via VIN. They only come VIN specific from Germany, the dealer does not tie the # to the car. So it sounds like either the keytag ordered was wrong (easy way to tell, the last few digits of the VIN are on the portion that is not a scratch off), or, the email being used to make you the key user is mis-spelled, or mis-keyed in (try it in all caps fyi)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
When any parts department orders a replacement plastic keytag, it can only done via VIN. They only come VIN specific from Germany, the dealer does not tie the # to the car. So it sounds like either the keytag ordered was wrong (easy way to tell, the last few digits of the VIN are on the portion that is not a scratch off), or, the email being used to make you the key user is mis-spelled, or mis-keyed in (try it in all caps fyi)
Looks like the wrong keytag is ordered as the last 4 digits does not match my VIN. What a PITA.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by fljoemon
Looks like the wrong keytag is ordered as the last 4 digits does not match my VIN. What a PITA.
It sucks to deal with, but it's not too difficult for them to solve.

I would call the sales manager at this point, and explain the situation to him. They can get a new keytag inside of a week and overnight it to you. From there I can walk you through the final activation
Old 07-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a call from Audi USA. They are going to contact my dealer and sort this out with them. Hope to hear back on Wednesday. @SCarGuy .. appreciate your offer for help. Once everything get sorted out, I will ping you. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue with new A5

Originally Posted by Bigrayyan
Hello everyone,
I just recently got this 2018 Q5 and I like everything in it but the audi connect does not work and the dealership technician could not figure it out as well. They had to contact technical helpline and we are still waiting for their response. It seems to me to be a simple connection problem? I completed the sign up process on my.audi and had the dealer verify my contract and then when I go into the car and open up the MMI, i get this message when I try to register the key user.

Any of you guys seen something like this before?

Many thanks!
I have exactly the same issue with my new (UK) A5 Sportback delivered on Tuesday 19th March. I tried, unsuccessfully to set up Audi Connect on my car and received the same "A connection error occurred" as you. I tried several times in case I was entering the code incorrectly, then gave up. Next day, I telephoned my delivery dealer and he told me there was an issue with Audi Connect, they weren't accepting new connections and it should be sorted by Friday or Monday at the latest. I tried, unsuccessfully, again on Monday so then Audi Digital services and the [very helpful] guy on the phone talked me through doing it while I was in the car, but still no success so, he suggested I contact the dealer. I took the car to the dealer the next day and, after a 20 minute wait, they got their "Audi Connect expert" to help. We both sat in the car and went through various things all to no avail. He suggested I contact Audi UK and explain the issue to them. I will give this a go today, but am not optimistic and pretty pissed of at the amount of time this has cost me. I had a similar facility in my previous car (a BMW 640) and while I didn't use it frequently, it was useful when e.g. you realised you'd forgotten to lock the car, or wanted to use Google "send to car". I'm going to phone Audi shortly, but am not overly optimistic.😒.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

I got that error all the time. I solved it by not renewing my Audi connect
Old 03-30-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue with new A5

Originally Posted by ribeye
I got that error all the time. I solved it by not renewing my Audi connect
Thanks, but I've only had the car 12 days and have Audi Connect included for three years. The issue has been lodged with Audi UK Technical Support and they've promised to get it resolved. I will post the outcome here (hopefully in the not too distant future).
Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bigrayyan
Hello everyone,
I just recently got this 2018 Q5 and I like everything in it but the audi connect does not work and the dealership technician could not figure it out as well. They had to contact technical helpline and we are still waiting for their response. It seems to me to be a simple connection problem? I completed the sign up process on my.audi and had the dealer verify my contract and then when I go into the car and open up the MMI, i get this message when I try to register the key user.

Any of you guys seen something like this before?

Many thanks!
I am having the same problem. Audi Connect support had me try entering the key user information several times but there doesn't seem to be communication with the Audi Server. It has worked since we got the Q5 18 months ago but the last update on the app is from 8/20/2019. I have a case opened with Audi but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That will be my answer also if Audi doesn't get more helpful.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anybody tried downloading the myAudi App and setting your 4-digit PIN in "User Management" first, then going back the the car and setting the Key User with the 10-character Vehicle Code? I'd be curious to know if that works.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect "A connection error occurred."