Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Connect "A connection error occurred."

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I had a similar problem. For me it was actually a two step process. I had to log in on the MMI Audi Connect Options screen (using my login credentials from my "myaudi" account (email and password or the 8 digit numeric MMI code listed in my on-line account). I then went to the Audi Connect Management page to set up the key user - using the 10 digit alpha key-ring scratch off code. The first time I did it, I only did the second step and got a connection error message.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaBaCaPa
Has anybody tried downloading the myAudi App and setting your 4-digit PIN in "User Management" first, then going back the the car and setting the Key User with the 10-character Vehicle Code? I'd be curious to know if that works.
I too am having the 'A connection error occurred' issue. The last vehicle contact was 8/20/2019. When I called the Audi Connect issue 800 number, there was a message that they were having issues. When I got a person on the helpline, she didn't know of any global server issues. She opened a case and had me do some resets on the car computer but I was unable to log in after entering the user name and vehicle code multiple times. She has had me try several things since and each time I ask if she is sure there isn't a more global audi server issue, that it appears the vehicle isn't connecting to the audi server. Finally she wanted me to take the Q5 to the dealer for assistance. I called the dealer and was told that YES, there is a global issue with cars talking to the audi server. He said they are even delivering cars with the app not working, that some people care and others do not. He had no eta for a fix either. It's hard to imagine that a global company would be so relaxed about an issue that affects so many. The dealer did tell me that some people are having success by changing their audi connect password, I did not. I have reset the my audi password, the audi connect password, and the PIN. This may have worked if she hadn't had me reset the car computer for the first troubleshooting step. Maybe it will work for someone else though. Since I reset the passwords and PIN the last vehicle contact is now never. Audi help has left another message for me wondering what the dealer said, I haven't called her back yet, too disappointed in their lack of knowledge and communication within audi. I guess it doesn't matter if a person doesn't use a smart phone and the audi app to check the car status but I am not one of those people!
Old 10-04-2019, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common issue that Audi apparently has no solution for resolving.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having the same issue- Just picked up a 2018 from a dealer last weekend and did not get the key code (didn't know I needed it).... They made me order a new one... got that yesterday and now i'm getting occasional "The vehicle code entered is incorrect"... or mostly "A connection error occurred". Spent over an hour on chat with one of the reps who went back an reset/re-verified my user agreement - the guy was trying hard to be helpful and not dismissive at all.

I must have entered the code 15 times at this point- got the "..code entered is incorrect" twice (i'm sure it was correct)… my cell phone has good signal strength in the car (also on AT&T) - so it doesn't appear to be a signal issue. Also opened an incident … now waiting to hear back.... Will take a drive later today and see if there's something with my location.. I know TMobile service in my area is spotty....

Anyone know if there's a way to check what carrier the unit is set up for?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

JIMHO - all 2018 Audis go through AT&T cell network. Try downloading the myAudi App and logging in with your internet website credentials. Once in the app, go to >> Bottom Right Profile Icon >> Account Settings >> PIN >> Set PIN...this is a 4-digit PIN. Make sure it goes through without coming back with an error message. Then go back to your car to set the Key User--use the keyboard to select the 10 characters by pushing down on the rotary ****. When you click OK, you should get a positive message that you're the Key User. In about 5-7 minutes, you can try refreshing your app to see if connects.
The following 5 users liked this post by MaBaCaPa:
James Park (01-07-2020), jimho (10-04-2019), Matthew Polus (12-04-2019), RadicalModerate (12-06-2019), tlaz (10-07-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JIMHO - all 2018 Audis go through AT&T cell network. Try downloading the myAudi App and logging in with your internet website credentials. Once in the app, go to >> Bottom Right Profile Icon >> Account Settings >> PIN >> Set PIN...this is a 4-digit PIN. Make sure it goes through without coming back with an error message. Then go back to your car to set the Key User--use the keyboard to select the 10 characters by pushing down on the rotary ****. When you click OK, you should get a positive message that you're the Key User. In about 5-7 minutes, you can try refreshing your app to see if connects.
That did the trick- SOLVED!

Funny - set the PIN online with the rep i was working with right after we did the owner verification - When i checked the app on the phone it wasn't set up.... That was all it took. 15 seconds after entering the Key Code i had the confirmation on the screen. Now downloading map updates. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by jimho:
Matthew Polus (12-04-2019), tlaz (10-07-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimho
That did the trick- SOLVED!

Funny - set the PIN online with the rep i was working with right after we did the owner verification - When i checked the app on the phone it wasn't set up.... That was all it took. 15 seconds after entering the Key Code i had the confirmation on the screen. Now downloading map updates. Thanks!
The system has to communicate with the servers in Germany and, apparently, the website(s) use a different method/channel than the app. Glad it worked for you. Something in the system changed about 3-4 weeks ago and I've had to use this workaround several times to get people's Key User access working so that the app works.
The following users liked this post:
jimho (10-05-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This was it. Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had been trying to activate my Audi Connect on my 2019 S5 for a week now and would get the same error msgs as the others in this thread. The fix posted by MaBaCaPa worked THE FIRST TIME! Don't know how you figured this out but thanks a lot!
Old 01-07-2020, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Brilliant! My service advisor had no idea. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Audi Connect "A connection error occurred."