Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pchansen
Good reply, Cakasky.
I too am very leery of spending any extra cash at this point. And given that the offer had a $250 deductible and that it’s not a “no questions asked” warranty like the factory warranty (yes, I know the factory warranty isn’t like that either but I’ve had very good luck with my local Audi dealership with my previous two cars) I am declining the extended warranty at this point in time. I can aways purchase extra protection later. This will give me a chance to get a good feel for the car.
As far as AudiCare goes, it seems to me that these are glorified oil changes. I have always done my own changes and as such, I have tentatively declined AudiCare. Am I missing something?
For my B9 S5, AudiCare not only covers the oil changes, but also includes 2 brake fluid flushes, spark plug replacement at 45K, air filters and cabin A/C filters all for $869 (and the S5 uses the new 508/509 Castrol EDGE® Professional® 0W20 Long Life IV engine oil really only available at the dealer right now at about $8 a quart). So a lot depends on what your model requires. The Q5 uses the 502 Castrol EDGE® Professional® 5W40 oil so it's not as big of an issue, but the Q5 has the spark plugs, air & cabin filters, and 2 brake flushes required like the S5, and those would all be covered by your local Audi dealer with AudiCare. I like doing my own maintenance too, but for $869 I figured I would be over $500 in parts alone over the 50,000 miles (I stick with OEM parts even when I do my own work) so I opted to buy the coverage and let my local dealer take care of it for me for the first 50,000 miles.

Last edited by heisnuts; 10-18-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@pchansen
Are you seeing a trend yet?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to throw in my $0.02. I ended up purchasing AudiCare and skipped out on the extended warranty care (~$4000/100k or whatever.) It's a betting game, and I'm betting I'll get to 100k much faster than the car starts breaking down and forces me to use extended.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cakasky
Just my two cents and this is very subjective and a personal choice. If you really want extra insurance then by all means get the Extended Warranty. Having owned a couple and about to trade up, I have never opted for the extended warranty (extra insurance). However, I have gotten Audi Care for each one which I do recommend. This again is subjective and is very different than the extended warranty which just overrides your existing factory warranty.

From my understanding the whole time you are under factory warranty the extended warranty is pretty much meaningless. So you paid for something you won't use. Then by chance you go out of your normal warranty and are in the extended timeframe. Your dealer would still need to go seek approval if something did go wrong with your vehicle to see if it were covered. If so and its under (extended) warranty which only covers certain things then you got lucky. Oh by the way, I should have mentioned, not only does Audi have to agree its covered, but so does that third party vendor 'Dealer Owned Warranty Company'. Lastly, any diagnostic fees will not be covered.

It's truly a gamble and honestly not worth it in my humble opinion. However, if getting the coverage gives you extra piece of mind then spend the extra $$$. PM me and I can give you a PO Box to send a commission fee to me as well while you are at it!
Thanks for all the thoughts. First time German car owner. Not sure about the quality of the car after the 4y/50k manufacturer warranty expires. Especially with all the high tech electronics, such as virtual cockpit, which will be needed for basic driving. We usually own the car 7-8 years.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Neaud
Thanks for all the thoughts. First time German car owner. Not sure about the quality of the car after the 4y/50k manufacturer warranty expires. Especially with all the high tech electronics, such as virtual cockpit, which will be needed for basic driving. We usually own the car 7-8 years.
I’m trading in an Audi 2010 Q5 SLine (7 years old) with 69500. At the time it was cutting edge and all. Have I had issues, of course but nothing the standard Audi warranty didn’t cover.

The biggest reason for me to own an Audi is it’s safety and quality engineering. If I find something better at a reasonable price point then my attention will be drawn to that. However none exist that I am satisfied with today.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cakasky
I’m trading in an Audi 2010 Q5 SLine (7 years old) with 69500. At the time it was cutting edge and all. Have I had issues, of course but nothing the standard Audi warranty didn’t cover.

The biggest reason for me to own an Audi is it’s safety and quality engineering. If I find something better at a reasonable price point then my attention will be drawn to that. However none exist that I am satisfied with today.
Cakasky,
I know its a little off topic, but what did you get for your 2010 trade? Just curious how well it held its value over 7 years.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plumber212
Cakasky,
I know its a little off topic, but what did you get for your 2010 trade? Just curious how well it held its value over 7 years.
I’ll PM you.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok a little update. We canceled our Q5 order at the last minute and bought an SQ5 with almost all the options checked. With all the goodies like air suspension, I had second thoughts about owning this car long term without some sort of warranty. So I was able to get the Audi extended warranty included for about $3200. This is a 7/100000 deal with a $100 deductible. It made it both my wife and I feel better as we’ve had a few Audi models in the past that have had their fair share of issues. It seems like you can’t walk through the door and not spend $800 at Audi service. So it’s done. For better or worse.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Where did you get the warranty from?

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I paid $3k for a 4yr/100k with $0 deductible if that helps.
I am going to buy a Q7 2018 and am being quoted $4300 for 120 months/ 120000 miles