Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Extended warranty? Do I need to have one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Extended warranty? Do I need to have one?

Hi guys, it has been 3 years and 10 month since I purchased my Q5 in 2018. it has a 32k miles age so far. DO I need to purchase the extended warranty to protect it do not bring me a large fixing bills in the future?(I saw someone in this forums have a 30k bills from the dealership which from a 4 years q5 either.)

I drive this car to pickup my kids and go to the grocery store, and I prefer no to spend more money in the next 3-5 years on automobiles. I also un familiar at exted warraty costs, and how to and where to buy it , is there a 3rd party warranty or it is also from the audi dealership

Is powertrain warranty is sufficient? or it need a more comprehensive warranty which can cover more?

Thx for the suggestions.

Last edited by zclbobo; 07-26-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Extended warranties are insurance policies. In most cases you are ahead of the game not having an extended warranty. If that was not so there would be no extended warranties available. The companies selling them make money. They wouldn't be around if they didn't make money.
It is a personal decision and essentially you betting against your car and to have peace of mind. At the pace you are putting on miles you will be below 90K miles in 5 years. Audi's are pretty good to 90K miles in our experience if well maintained (including 5K mile oil changes with the correct oil)
90K miles is a good number to aim for, usually few issues and sell/trade value maintains pretty well until then as well.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

My answer to these questions used to be no, but now it's yes. Times have changed and parts/service are obscenely priced, especially on luxury brands. I have a lot of mechanical and electrical experience with vehicles and up until just a couple years ago I was happy to be basically self-insured. Now, with cars being pretty much computers with wheels, I don't think that's a good idea anymore. With luxury vehicles especially, almost all repair parts are proprietary and not available aftermarket. That means the manufacturers can charge whatever they want. Price out policies appropriate for your situation, bargain like a crazy person, and invest.
The following users liked this post:
Terrible_One (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recalled in an earlier thread there was a person recommended to purchase extended warranty from a guy that’s sells both Audi direct or 3rd party but can’t remember the thread and comments
Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 2016 A6 3.0 with 29,500 miles. I purchased it brand new in August 2016.
I have spent out of pocket for repairs about $3500 since the warranty expired.
$1850 for water pump and now $1600 for Electronic Parking Brake module.
Car is on it's 3rd water pump. One was replaced under warranty.
Will probably replace the car next year. I like how the Audi drives and looks but am a bit soured on their reliability.
I have had nothing but German cars since 2012.
I miss the reliability of Lexus. I just they were fun to drive and didn't look like they belonged in a Transformers movie.
Don't know what to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by dudley@07726:
hammergjh (08-03-2022), Universe93B (08-15-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted the $30k to replace the engine in my 2018 SQ5. What's the old saying hindsight is 20/20? Before this I never purchased an extended warranty, but my next car I probably will.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive
I recalled in an earlier thread there was a person recommended to purchase extended warranty from a guy that’s sells both Audi direct or 3rd party but can’t remember the thread and comments
That is what I am looking for, thx!
Old 07-26-2022, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

I passed for a couple of reasons. A real eye opener was reading through dozens of BBB complaints for the major plan administrators (FYI, the underwriter you pay and sign up with has another company - most likely one of the big three - to manage claims). Reading these very detailed complaints and the administrator’s detailed denial will give you a real world insight into how the exclusions written into these policies may apply. Some scary ones to name a few: damage or breakdown from overheating …even when caused by a defective covered component; any kind of damage if any water or moisture intrusion is found to be a contributing cause; any malfunction that can be tied to a prior repair using the broadly applied (contrived in some cases) “pre-existing condition” exclusion.

These policies make money for the insurance companies because premiums exceed payouts for repairs. A strong contributor to that surplus is the administrator’s (often delayed) vigorous, intense scrutiny of the mechanical problem and, in so many cases, invocation of an exclusion ….many times on an absurdly broad interpretation. All warranty companies engage in this business practice. But auto warranty companies take this to another level and are compelled to do so given the exorbitant repair costs of these luxury cars.

The other reason I passed was that I am willing - and can afford - to ride the odds, so to speak. I’ve set aside - in my mind anyways - the $4950 I was quoted for a premium policy. If a $8000 repair comes my way, I won’t be opening a vein because of a $3000 savings I would otherwise have enjoyed with a policy. As to a much costlier repair, I’ll ride out the odds of that not happening.

They’re not terrible odds, IMO. I wouldn’t have purchased an Audi if I thought they were.

Last edited by jaims; 07-26-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey @zclbobo here is some extended warranty information from you from both of our top tier providers, Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, both are accepted at Audi dealerships and licensed independents for repair across the country. If you have any questions or would like to see the example contracts that explain coverage for both providers you can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333

2015 Audi Q5 w/ 32k miles:

Fidelity Platinum: Link to example contract:
36 months / additional 36k miles:
$100 deductible
-$3,634
$250 deductible
-$3,427

48 months / additional 48k miles:
$100 deductible
-$4,242
$250 deductible
-$4,022

Freedom Warranty Complete Manufactures Extension:
48 months / up to 100k miles
$0 deductible
-$3,670
$100 deductible
-$3,520

60 months / up to 100k miles
$0 deductible
-$3,835
$100 deductible
-$3,685
Old 07-27-2022, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I purchased the extended warranty when I bought my 2018 and havent needed it so far. 46k miles.

Quick Reply: Audi Extended warranty? Do I need to have one?