Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

UK: Audi Q5 2018 FY rear bumper light removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UK: Audi Q5 2018 FY rear bumper light removal

Hi guys, I’m having trouble removing the rear bumper light block from my Audi Q5 2018 FY (TFSI) model. I can’t seem to locate the screw that holds the light block in. Some guys put it on a ramp and said they didn’t see anything and that I might have to remove the bumper to get the light - not sure that’s right nor would I want to do that.
Is there a change to clips or am I looking in the wrong place for the screw. Is it Torx (25) or Philips.
Help ... please!
Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

I believe if you go to youtube, you'll find a couple of videos.......
Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ronsal
I believe if you go to youtube, you'll find a couple of videos.......
The YouTube show people sticking screwdrivers up the area the user guide directs the user to. But I can’t see any screw access nor did four vehicle mechanics I visited. An Audi garage put the car on the ramp but could see no screw access (they should know - right!) but suggested the lower rear lights were clipped on. Further, I should remove the bumper but I’m not in the least imagining that is the solution.
The user pack has a double-ended torx screwdriver but neither seem to grip on anything when I poke it up the suggested location. But I read elsewhere that a Philips screwdriver is what is used... any further suggestions.
(Really, has anyone removed (changed) the rear bumper lights on a 2018 FY(B) Audi Q5 TSFI (Uk Model).

I’m trying to get at the reverse light to fix in a reversing camera device.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think I might have found some directions here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...light-2904758/

I’ll see what I find and come back here.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Awright, I'm going to try to do this from memory (if you want to trust the memory of a geezer, and an old geezer at that.)
A while back a fellow on this site posted a video of a UK Q5 with the light block being swapped out. What I remember was him removing that small piece from the
bumper, and then using a torx driver which was about a foot long going up into that void. Removing the bolt loosened up the entire rear light assembly and he pried it out with a plastic tool. When it came out, he just unclipped the old harness, plugged in the new assembly, and refitted the new unit. It will fit into a notch, slide in and then rescrew the torx.
The whole process took only a matter of minutes and looked easy.
Sorry I could not find the video, so I can't help you with size torx driver you'll need
Old 09-06-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Seems like I’m going round in circles. Yes, thanks for all contribution but it seems like you are posting everything I’ve already tried. I will have another go with the TorFX 25 as supplied in the car kit. Maybe I didn’t lock the torx in the right place as no one says there’s anything other than that methods.

Simple task - so hard to execute - Frustrating!!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is such a pain...I finally figured it out and took some pictures. You really need a long T-25 driver, and it goes at a weird angle. One of the pictures shows the driver stuck in the threaded end on the car so you can get an idea of where it needs to go.

Hope this helps. You really can’t see it, just have to feel it out.

The following 5 users liked this post by joeyalex:
kingofqueenz788 (11-27-2022), Ladislav G. (05-29-2021), Moffacake (08-30-2022), PatrolUK (06-20-2020), Rrrr1234 (05-03-2021)
Old 09-07-2019, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow, thanks, JoeyAlex... I definitely give that a go today.

I’m surprised that this hasn’t been shown before. I searched and searched and visited garages (as I said before) but no joy!

Many Kudos to you if it works.

The following users liked this post:
kingofqueenz788 (11-27-2022)
Old 09-07-2019, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoapySuds11
Wow, thanks, JoeyAlex... I definitely give that a go today.

I’m surprised that this hasn’t been shown before. I searched and searched and visited garages (as I said before) but no joy!

Many Kudos to you if it works.
Good luck, it’s definitely tricky. You have to get the angle just right...you can see the scratches around the screw on mine from me trying to get it. Once you get the screw loose it stays in the housing. Then you just pop it out with a plastic trim tool, as there’s a clip on the outside edge.

Most of the things I found online assumed the 2018+ was the same as the older Q5, which is not the case. Same basic idea, but you can’t see the screw and it’s at a different angle.
The following users liked this post:
kingofqueenz788 (11-27-2022)
Old 09-08-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished changing out the reverse light to LED, and finding that screw is a real pain! Espucally where you think you found the screw where it’s impossible to feel if you got the screw or not.

But it I found a easier way to locate, if you look under the bumper where you kick for the open door feature you will see the side of the red thing that you are suppose to look for. When you find it and stick the torx screw driver you can stick you arm in there and guide the screwdriver.

By the way, does the rear bumper light wiggle a little? I noticed that after I finished installing and you move the light up and down it moves a little. Should of checked before removing the housing. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gizmo607; 09-08-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: UK: Audi Q5 2018 FY rear bumper light removal