Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Winter Wheel and Tire Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 397 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Audi Winter Wheel and Tire Package

I have been pouring over the Post your winter wheel/tire setup! thread and Tire Rack's site trying to choose my winter wheel setup. Since I live where I often have to drive through deep snow and especially on sheets of ice downhill, traction is of primary importance. Based on what I understand, having the narrowest tires combined with the best gripping tires will give me the best performance. I am used to driving a Toyota Sienna on 17x7 wheels with Blizzak WS80 and it has exceptional grip. I have control on snow and ice far and above most cars on the road - and I credit this to the narrow and exceptional tires (and give the Sienna credit too). I don't want to experience worse handling on my new SQ5.

After reading about different quality wheels, I limited my search on Tire Rack to 1 pc. Low Pressure Cast (ruling out the cheaper gravity cast).
The narrowest wheels available on Tire Rack are 19x8 and the wheels I prefer based on looks and price are 19x8.5 BBS SX at $1500.
The tire I would use for the new wheels is the Blizzak DM-V2 - 235/55 R19 at $650 (including balancing)

The Audi Winter Wheel and Tire Package NPN071070 gives 19x7 wheels with MichelinŽ Latitude AlpinŽ LA 2 AO winter tires measuring 235/55 R19 but at a cost of $3200 !!!
Scouring the web, I couldn't find any 19x7 wheels anywhere - aftermarket wheels are almost exclusively 19x8.5.

According to Tire Rack:
The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".
So the same tire on the Audi 19x7 wheels would be 6/10" narrower than with BBS 19x8.5. How significant 6/10" of extra width is hard to say - but I'd like every advantage I can get.
The downside of the Audi package is cost and especially that the tires are Performance Winter / Snow - which I understand to mean they will sacrifice some of the ice/snow grip for dry handling. There are only a total of 2 reviews on Tire Rack for these tires, so there is little to go on.

My questions:
Does anyone have experience with the Audi Wheel and Tire package in extreme conditions?
If I go with the Audi package, which will impact me more - gaining grip on snow / ice with a 6/10" narrower tire or losing grip with the Performance Winter / Snow tire?

The Audi package is over $1000 more and at first I didn't even remotely consider it. Yet, I know how much it means to me to drive with confidence.
The two worst case scenarios
1) I get the Audi package and don't like the performance - and I feel I have to spend another $650 and swap out the new tires for the Blizzaks
2) I don't get the Audi package and don't like the performance - and always wonder what if I had.

Best case scenario, the SQ5 is amazing regardless...
Looking forward to hearing your experience and ideas.

Last edited by spindlewood; 01-13-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I am in the same boat. New SQ5 is coming in two weeks. I am on tire rack and have in my cart BBS SX Crystal Black 19 x 8.5 wheels (My SQ5 is Moonlight blue) with Blizzak LM-80 255/50/R19 tires. I've been exclusively Michelin but I read a very good review from an SQ5 owner and they seem to be higher rated than Michelin X-ice. The audi wheel package you are referring to has me looking at that as well. With Audit Club membership I think you get 15% off or something like that but still the cost differential is big but you have OEM rims which I have to believe will wear better. I've done three winter and tire packages for my our cars. Two for sienna's (we had 09 sienna limited and now have 17 Sienna Limited) and one winter and tire package for my Audi S6 and really no complaints except one RIM became slightly dented but I didn't have as good of wheels as the BBS. My S6 with high performance Michelin Alpin winter tires are awesome. Driven through real snow and blizzards on trips back to Erie, PA and had no problems.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I would go with the Tirerack recommendations as Blizzacks seem to be top rated - had them on my Q5, Allroad, wife's Outback. Or look at getting a set of Nokian Hakkapelitas - which seem to be in a class by themselves - though TR does not sell them. It would be helpful for you and us if you post what state/country you reside in.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in the polar vortex center of the universe.
it’s been -20C or colder for the last 25 of 28 days.

I went with RS6 19” replica wheels and Hankook i*cept tires for my SQ5.

Compared to my 17” continental winter’s on our CX3, the hankook’s are amazing. Quiet. Great in all conditions so far.

The Audi dealer offered me a package at $700 a corner..... local tire shop was miles below that figure.
nothing wrong with reps. Mine come with a 3 year finish guarantee as they are sold specifically for winter wheel packages.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
I would go with the Tirerack recommendations as Blizzacks seem to be top rated - had them on my Q5, Allroad, wife's Outback. Or look at getting a set of Nokian Hakkapelitas - which seem to be in a class by themselves - though TR does not sell them. It would be helpful for you and us if you post what state/country you reside in.
I'm in the northern Idaho Panhandle - ususally anywhere from 3 - 8 feet of snow per winter. It will often thaw then refreeze - then snow on top of the layer of ice. In winter conditions, my drive to work can be an adventure. Last winter I slide down my 300' driveway into the bank where it makes a 90 degree turn. Then slid down the following 300' of road doing a complete 360 in the process. Granted, I should have sanded first... but in my Sienna, I didn't mind crashing into the banks to stop myself. Pop the fender back in - ignore the scratches, move on... I think I'll have a different attitude with a new $70k car.

The Nokian Hakkapelitas look amazing except for potentially wearing early. I'm slowly convincing myself that 7" rims are the way to go. Then I can make a decision on whether the Michelin tires which come with it are good enough after that. If not, swap for Blizzaks or the Nokian Hakkapelitas.

I really wish Audi would sell the winter rims without the packaged tires. Don't understand why they don't give us the choice of which tire to use with it.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
I'm in the northern Idaho Panhandle - ususally anywhere from 3 - 8 feet of snow per winter. It will often thaw then refreeze - then snow on top of the layer of ice. In winter conditions, my drive to work can be an adventure. Last winter I slide down my 300' driveway into the bank where it makes a 90 degree turn. Then slid down the following 300' of road doing a complete 360 in the process. Granted, I should have sanded first... but in my Sienna, I didn't mind crashing into the banks to stop myself. Pop the fender back in - ignore the scratches, move on... I think I'll have a different attitude with a new $70k car.

The Nokian Hakkapelitas look amazing except for potentially wearing early. I'm slowly convincing myself that 7" rims are the way to go. Then I can make a decision on whether the Michelin tires which come with it are good enough after that. If not, swap for Blizzaks or the Nokian Hakkapelitas.

I really wish Audi would sell the winter rims without the packaged tires. Don't understand why they don't give us the choice of which tire to use with it.

I agree with you on being able to just buy the wheels and then be able to add the tires we want. On the Nokian, I wonder what the road noise is like?
Old 01-13-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you found Hakka’s in stock somewhere???
I’ve had them before, but the Hakka2’s are sold out continent wide (otherwise I would have them instead of the Hankook’s)

so road noise may not be a concern because you can’t get Hakka2’s if that’s the tire you are after......

Hakka3 will be out next year, so no carryover of Hakka2 is what I was told from the supplier network.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spindlewood

If I were in an area with the amount of snow/ice that you are in I would not hesitate in getting the Hakka's - shorter wearing or not. But the Michelin and Blizzaks ain't too shabby either.I would also opt for the smallest wheel too since its about winter grip and safety, looks take second place.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
I agree with you on being able to just buy the wheels and then be able to add the tires we want. On the Nokian, I wonder what the road noise is like?
The noise could be a bit louder than some others - maybe. But then again my new Blizzaks are supposed to be loud, but I think its just marginally louder than my Michelin Sport A/3's.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
Man I am in the same boat. New SQ5 is coming in two weeks. I am on tire rack and have in my cart BBS SX Crystal Black 19 x 8.5 wheels (My SQ5 is Moonlight blue) with Blizzak LM-80 255/50/R19 tires. I've been exclusively Michelin but I read a very good review from an SQ5 owner and they seem to be higher rated than Michelin X-ice. The audi wheel package you are referring to has me looking at that as well. With Audit Club membership I think you get 15% off or something like that but still the cost differential is big but you have OEM rims which I have to believe will wear better. I've done three winter and tire packages for my our cars. Two for sienna's (we had 09 sienna limited and now have 17 Sienna Limited) and one winter and tire package for my Audi S6 and really no complaints except one RIM became slightly dented but I didn't have as good of wheels as the BBS. My S6 with high performance Michelin Alpin winter tires are awesome. Driven through real snow and blizzards on trips back to Erie, PA and had no problems.
Thanks for the tip on Audi Club. It inspired me to ask my dealer about the Costco program discount as well. They are not a Costco Partner and will ask the parts dept what discount they can give and get back to me. If not 15%, I'll ask about Audi Club. I am convinced now that going for the narrower 19x7 rims is the best insurance for winter performance. I'm glad to hear your experience with the Michelin Alpin winter tires was awesome. It's only one review (there aren't many), but it's something. I'm almost ready to remove the BBS wheels from my Tire Rack cart - just waiting for a decent discount.

Quick Reply: Audi Winter Wheel and Tire Package