Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Automatic Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Parking Brake

For those drivers that "always" use the Parking Brake, our good friend in Canada "rbreeze" found a thread on the A4 Forum that, with the use of an OBDeleven, will make the Parking Brake apply automatically when the engine is turned off with the transmission in gear. Once updated, all one has to do is touch the "Start/Stop" and the engine turns off, the transmission is placed in Park, AND the Parking Brake is applied (the light on the switch goes on). Here's the OBDeleven info:

Details:

Brakes (03) / Adaptation / Automatic Parking Brake -> Activated

Security code: 40168 (It was the first in the list of suggestions in OBDEleven and was accepted. Haven't tried others.)

Interesting, for the vehicles in Canada, depending on the software version/build date, this feature is already active!

Last edited by TomTX; 04-30-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My SQ5 has always set the parking brake when I turn mine off. But that’s after I put it in Park. I’ll have to see what happens if it’s in gear.
Edit: Mine sets the brake and puts the car in Park if I turn it off in gear. They must come that way at least in the US. I have changed a number of other settings but not that one!

Last edited by Ron.S; 04-30-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S
My SQ5 has always set the parking brake when I turn mine off. But that’s after I put it in Park. I’ll have to see what happens if it’s in gear.
Edit: Mine sets the brake and puts the car in Park if I turn it off in gear. They must come that way at least in the US. I have changed a number of other settings but not that one!
Mine is a Q5 Prestige built in Nov '17 for the U.S., so maybe that is the difference. Mine did not have this feature active until I activated it. interesting...
Old 05-01-2018, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice find.
I've had my UK 2018 Q5 for a week and noticed yesterday that the parking brake wasn't being set.
I'm expecting my OBDEleven today, so I'll add this to the list.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My B9 S5 is a US model also built in Nov 2017 and the default was "not activated". I really don't know why automatically setting the brake isn't the default, so maybe they accidentally changed it at some point.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
My B9 S5 is a US model also built in Nov 2017 and the default was "not activated". I really don't know why automatically setting the brake isn't the default, so maybe they accidentally changed it at some point.
^ rccoleman, that was a great find you made on audi-sport.net. Thanks for posting the coding change info/instruction in the A4-B9 forum > 2017 A4 coding tweaks thread. Link to post: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25145655
Many owners will be happy making this change. As it turns out my Canadian model 2018 MKII Q5 came with the feature activated, and for me it's not even possible to get into/alter the setting in parameter "Automatic Parking Brake" in Brakes (03) / Adaptation with my OBDeleven. But no matter - the feature is working and all is good.
/R

Last edited by rbreeze; 11-28-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On our Prestige, when I park, and hit the Start button to turn the car off, it automatically sets the transmission to PARK. If I have parked on an incline (don’t know what angle) it also sets the parking brake. Also, of course, after starting up and setting transsmion to D or R, once I press the accelerator, the parking brake is released.

Last edited by Badger56; 05-02-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine was built in late May 2017. Maybe a change was made later. I wonder what would happen if you turned the car off while still moving? It might cause damage or create a safety issue if it went to park and set the brake.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Mine was built in late May 2017. Maybe a change was made later. I wonder what would happen if you turned the car off while still moving? It might cause damage or create a safety issue if it went to park and set the brake.
The manual addresses the procedure to turn off the engine while moving in an emergency (press the start/stop button twice in a row or hold it down), but I have to assume that it does no more than that. Putting the car into park while moving immediately locks the wheels and would be much worse than engaging the e-brake. The manual makes it seem like a completely different state than turning the car off normally. Try it and see!

Regardless, some cars already seem to behave this way, and I suspect that we're just doing the same thing through coding.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman

The manual addresses the procedure to turn off the engine while moving in an emergency (press the start/stop button twice in a row or hold it down), but I have to assume that it does no more than that. Putting the car into park while moving immediately locks the wheels and would be much worse than engaging the e-brake. The manual makes it seem like a completely different state than turning the car off normally. Try it and see!

Regardless, some cars already seem to behave this way, and I suspect that we're just doing the same thing through coding.
Nice to know that’s covered in the manual, after 10 months I haven’t read very much of it. My speculation is that if you are rolling to a stop and turn it off like you would while stopped then what will happen? I’m not going to try it but I can see someone doing it accidentally. If newer builds have it turned off and early builds had it turned on there could be a reason for the change. It could also just be an anomaly.

Quick Reply: Automatic Parking Brake