Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

B&O crackle/pop noises

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 04:34 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by william1998329
Yes, I think most of the people here are experience the popping issues over the entire car but mostly in the front three speakers.

I am just wondering, is everyone who is experiencing the noise have a 2021 model? Mine is a 2021 Q5 with B&O. And I am seeing mostly 2021 owners experiencing the issue.
My 2022 Q5-PP (October 2021 build date) doesn't have this issue.
I don't know if they changed something, used components from a different lot number or if I'm just lucky.

Last edited by Harplayr; 01-29-2022 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

My 2021 doesn't have this issue either. Manufactured 11/20.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2022 S3

Hi everyone. I've been following this thread for a while because I have also noticed these problems on my 2 month old 2022 S3. I noticed the sound the second day I owned the car and brought it into Audi in Temecula, CA. They told me "I can't hear anything, can you record the sound and come back." I was also told it's probably insulation expanding and contracting, and they could put padding around the front speakers. As I think we all know, this would do nothing to solve the issue.

Just let you know that it is happening on brand new 2022 models.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also been watching this thread...my '21 Q5 Prestige (w/B&O), built 4/21, has had the crackles and pops from day 1. On my first drive home from the dealer new, I thought I was unlucky and getting a bunch of small rock chips on the windshield, but was confused with no other traffic around... To me, it sounds like occasional static discharge snaps/pops and it happens at least across multiple front speakers. Ranges anywhere from doing it a lot (a couple pops every second or two), to several minutes between noticing any. Speakers sound crisp and clear otherwise at all volumes I've used. Does not happen with volume turned all the way down (silent but not muted), but starts with the first volume level up, popping at a constant loudness, and continues the same at all audio volume levels until the audio drowns out the popping sounds...so, easiest to notice the popping at lowest audible volume level. Mine is across all audio sources I use (android auto spotify, FM, XM), and yes, also at night/in garage with no sun. Engine running or not, ignition on or not, no difference.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

So I may have heard this for the first time and would describe it as a faint "click" sound.
  1. Only have heard it on a quiet track - the click is faint but there
  2. Have not noticed it on the road or louder tracks
  3. CarPlay was active when it occurred
In my case the track that was playing had been converted from DSD to Apple Lossless, but the data rate and sample frequency was above what is cited in the allroad manual. While it played. the clicks remind me of clock related errors. I have not heard the clicks on other sources. I have converted the DSD to 44.1 and then used this a a source for the Apple Lossless file. This puts the data rate and sample frequency within spec. I will also try with and without CarPlay enabled.

More to come on my investigation. Also, does anyone know if these audio system uses Class D amplifiers?

Old 02-14-2022, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by linndude
Also, does anyone know if these audio system uses Class D amplifiers?
Based on these press releases, it looks like Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound Systems use their BeoCore Class-D amplifiers by ICEpower.

https://news.harman.com/blog/harman-...es-to-iaa-2019
https://news.harman.com/releases/har...this-years-iaa

The following users liked this post:
sQ5Atlanta (02-15-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has there been any update on this from Audi USA or anyone's local dealer? I've been dealing with this issue for a few months now and my dealer is completely clueless about diagnosing and fixing it. my car has been there for a few weeks recently and they still have no idea what's wrong. Just wanted to see if this was being recognized officially as a known issue so hopefully there is a remedy soon. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2022, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No update, and i'm frustrated.

Only hope is that update coming end of quarter one maybe fixes it. But they are dragging their feet on it.

I'm gathering paper work to request a buyback. I'm about done. So many other issues with this car they cannot figure out.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by linndude
So I may have heard this for the first time and would describe it as a faint "click" sound.
  1. Only have heard it on a quiet track - the click is faint but there
  2. Have not noticed it on the road or louder tracks
  3. CarPlay was active when it occurred
In my case the track that was playing had been converted from DSD to Apple Lossless, but the data rate and sample frequency was above what is cited in the allroad manual. While it played. the clicks remind me of clock related errors. I have not heard the clicks on other sources. I have converted the DSD to 44.1 and then used this a a source for the Apple Lossless file. This puts the data rate and sample frequency within spec. I will also try with and without CarPlay enabled.

More to come on my investigation. Also, does anyone know if these audio system uses Class D amplifiers?
Any update on what you've been testing? Interested to hear if you've discovered anything!
Old 03-26-2022, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just chiming in for awareness. I reported higher up in this thread how I have '21 SQ5 with B&O and the snap crackle pops randomly coming from mostly the dash speakers. It's mostly annoying if volume is low, the track has quiet sections, or listening to an audio book. I have confirmed it happens on all audio sources and doesn't matter if phone is even in the vehicle. Dealer replaced B&O amp back in December with a revised part that has the suffix "A" added to the end of the part number, and the noises went away and was so relieved ...for about a month. Now it's back. I'm pretty convinced it's the amp since it went away replacing it for a while. Dunno if bad components inside or some kind of software leak issue. Really hope they come out with a fix, but I'm sure it's one of those that unless they're aware it's a big deal no resources will get thrown at it.

Quick Reply: B&O crackle/pop noises