Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

B&O crackle/pop noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by asklenar7
I took mine in twice and after my tech replaced the full center speaker, he discovered there is an open ticket with AudiUSA. There is a known issue with some B&O sound systems in a few models for “interference” that Audi is aware of and allegedly working on a fix. The crackling and popping. I’m waiting to hear back on the ticket this week to see if there is a fix. I’ve been waiting a month since first taking it in. Hoping they find a resolution. But mine was happening since day one of ownership, so is their loaner A5 and an SQ5 they have on the lot.

This is disheartening. Do you have a ticket number for the case with audiusa by any chance? That would be very helpful for my appointment in a week.

mine has also been happening from day one. I suspect it’s either software or amp related.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Does the cracking only happen when the car is moving? If not, the does it happen with the engine off?
I would say it happens all the time. Car in park and engine or, car in park and engine off, car in drive.

all sources.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hoping

I took mine in twice and after my tech replaced the full center speaker, he discovered there is an open ticket with AudiUSA. There is a known issue with some B&O sound systems in a few models for “interference” that Audi is aware of and allegedly working on a fix. The crackling and popping. I’m waiting to hear back on the ticket this week to see if there is a fix. I’ve been waiting a month since first taking it in. Hoping they find a resolution. But mine was happening since day one of ownership, so is their loaner A5 and an SQ5 they have on the lot.
I am literally dropping off my 2021 A6 55 now for this issue as well as the constant creeking and cracking of the dash. Im going to have them try to lookup this ticket and get the details off it. Its good to know at least audi is looking for a fix rather than ignoring it. I almost sold my A6 5 days after getting it new due to the lack of quality control and quality materials it seems to be now. My 2018 A5 was a golden era car i think.
The following users liked this post:
ATC69 (07-19-2022)
Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

please keep us posted because you are absolutely right, this is two separate issues that sort of present in the same manner:

- clicking/pooping/interference through speakers on dash
- creaking of trim panels everywhere, but on dash in particular. seems to be worst with temperature changes, but it's unacceptable for a vehicle of this caliber.

On the latter, I'd be tempted to try and remedy myself, but I found a video that shows how to start to remove that trim, oh boy it's more than I'm comfortable with.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Felt

I thought the same thing on the dash issue. I have rolls of felt tape just for this issue but im afraid id end up breaking a plastic clip or something that will wind up costing me $2700 for a new dash piece and no more warranty on interior noises and parts, which is only 1 year to begin with. I dont want to be "that guy" that the dealership hates and doesnt really look for issues with, but given the price of the car and the fact it was new, im gonna keep taking it in until its fixed.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky I found this post as I’m researching the same issue on 21 S6. Have the same issue since delivery, random static popping noise from the speaker. Hopefully Audi will have a TSB for this issue soon.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NT01
Lucky I found this post as I’m researching the same issue on 21 S6. Have the same issue since delivery, random static popping noise from the speaker. Hopefully Audi will have a TSB for this issue soon.
So do i, but i wouldnt hold your breath. I suspect it will be a year of research and a new amp design required and will be 18 months from now for a fix. In which case ill be out of the car by then. Even the service manager made a comment that audi's quality of build and QA has gone down hill in the last few years. I think im starting to see that.

To add to the list, my backup and 360 cameras went out randomly. An mmi reset fixed it but aparently its a memory overrun error with no good fix. Along with them having to replace my entire dash skelton due to several issues at install in the factory, im not very happy. However, they are working on it, so there is that.

Seems to be the price to pay for a covid built car.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

How did this go?

I dropped mine off Monday for a handful of what SHOULD be minor issues. They all went about the same way. But here is where I've gotten on this static popping noise at the moment.
  1. day 1 drop off the car the intake service guy says he can hear the noise. great!
  2. day 2 they call me and say they found a tsb, but the tsb doesn't give a resolution, only a few things to try, which haven't worked. they give me tsb number. Again, so far so good.
  3. day 3, the intake guy calls with the service manager on the line. it didn't go so well. he spews all sorts of nonsense, changes his story and contradicts himself like 5 times. First says that they were able to hear noise, then changes story and says he isn't able to hear noise. Back and forth ensues, where he tries to weasel out of trying to do anything at all. I realize I'm not dealing with someone reasonable. Convo ended with him telling me he never actually heard the noise at all, which is bs, but whatever. So I'm going in today to show them the noise, but I really don't know why because he made it pretty clear they have no interest in doing anything.
    1. Highlights include:
      1. Opening by saying yes they hear it. but that they believe it's normal.
        1. Already not happy. I counter by saying how could it possibly be normal? I could buy a $15 bluetooth speaker from walmart that wouldn't do this.
      2. Telling me that the tsb says it's normal.
        1. I counter that the day prior the intake guy had said the tsb had no resolution but did list things to try to attempt to fix issue. nevermind that the mere existence of a TSB indicates it's not normal. And no resolution on the tsb, also obviously doesn't translate to it's supposed to do this. unreal.
      3. That they can't just replace the amp without some confidence that it'll fix it, because audi won't pay for it.
        1. I counter that maybe they could try swapping an amp off of a vehicle that doesn't do this. He says they don't have any A6 Allroads. I counter that it's the same amp that's in A6's.
      4. Short of it is they won't do anything about this.
      5. After suggesting that they get ahold of the field service engineer if they aren't sure how to fix this issue, because it seems like that's the next step to getting something like this addressed. He tells me that the field service engineer only comes out for serious issues, not petty garbage like this. Again, unreal.
      6. He also says that the only way they have to contact audi usa is to call a hotline number. I know this to be bs.
      7. I finally say, "ok well I just want to confirm that you have been able to reproduce this noise, and are acknowledging that this is abnormal"
      8. His response is no, we actually can't reproduce it. ---_--- This is after we've spent about 30 minutes going back and forth about things they could try, and basically why he isn't interested in doing anything. again. Unreal.
      9. Tries to get me to take it to another dealer. I ask why he is trying to offload the problem unto someone else.
      10. That he can't give me a copy of the tsb. Even though they all eventually become public information, and this very dealer has given me printed copies of tsb's before. They had already given me number though, and after googling, it sounds like this is an old tsb that is very wide reaching and is updated to include all models every year, and honestly doesn't quite apply. Link here and here.
Overall a very frustrating experience. I'm so sick of being gas lighted by these people when they don't know how to address something. I'm very reasonable in these situations until the other person is no longer at the table in good faith.

I think the next step is to try and find a vehicle that doesn't have this issue and swap out the amp or just replace the amp altogether. They responded to this suggestion by saying "well who is going to pay for the labor or for the replacement amp, we can't get audi to pay for something they are confident is going to fix something" I pointed out that if they had some other ideas I'm open to solutions, but not doing anything isn't going to work for me. And that the amp isn't a hard thing to swap, it's not like it's hard to get to.

The A5 loaner vehicle I have at the moment exhibits the same issue. I'm going to try and capture a video of it.

Smurfey002 (03-03-2022)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraguy64
The A5 loaner vehicle I have at the moment exhibits the same issue. I'm going to try and capture a video of it.
One thing in common with your car and the loaner is presumably your mobile phone. Does the clicking noise happen when the phone is off (and that means any/all phones within the vehicle)?
jaims (09-20-2022)
Old 07-15-2021, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrexLex
One thing in common with your car and the loaner is presumably your mobile phone. Does the clicking noise happen when the phone is off (and that means any/all phones within the vehicle)?
havent tried it off explicitly. It is present regardless of source tho.

will try with phone off and report back. I kinda doubt wireless interference from Bluetooth or WiFi would be the cause. But who knows.

Quick Reply: B&O crackle/pop noises