Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

B&O crackle/pop noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraguy64
havent tried it off explicitly. It is present regardless of source tho.

will try with phone off and report back. I kinda doubt wireless interference from Bluetooth or WiFi would be the cause. But who knows.
The issue might not be Bluetooth or WiFi, but the phone communicating with the cell tower. It's a shot in the dark...
Old 07-15-2021, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tired playing music from different source: usd, wired and wireless CarPlay. All of them exhibit the same issue, I think the issue is either a bad connector, or the amplifier(A few years ago I experienced similar issue with my home audio, after some diagnostic it turns out to be a bad connector). On the bright side if the music is loud enough it covers up the noise, guess I’ll have to live with that until Audi has a fix.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrexLex
One thing in common with your car and the loaner is presumably your mobile phone. Does the clicking noise happen when the phone is off (and that means any/all phones within the vehicle)?
Even if this is the cause, it should not be something that should happen and is definitely not acceptable. Its interfearance of some kind from what i can tell, probably bad filter caps, bad filter design in general or bad grounding. Probably an easy redesign that audi has already done with B&O but is trying to figure out how to avoid fixing old units as it would just be a complete replacement.

All just a guess, but better than what the dealer has come up with.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So I did a little testing of my own today, just to see if I could affect any change on the issue with different sources. I tried sine waves at different frequencies and even a blank audio file.

Couple interesting tidbits:
1. Playing a sine wave at just about any frequency, I used
, definitely makes it easier to pick out than with the talk radio.
2. It doesn’t change until you hit
, around here I can’t hear sine wave at all any longer, nor can I hear the issue UNTIL you turn the radio volume up all the way, then you can hear it, but it’s much more apparent than at the lower volume. A much louder pop/crackle. Which is interesting, as usually volume doesn’t have the effect of amplifying it. (Remember to turn the volume back down if you try this yourself)
3. If you play a
track, issue is not present. Even at full volume.

the common element for all of us seems to that we all have 2020/2021 models with the b&o “3D Premium Sound System” not the higher end, “3D advanced sound system”

unless there is anyone out there with the upgraded higher end bang also exhibiting this issue? is there anyone out there that does have this system and is confident the issue is NOT present for them?

also fyi, there do seem to be two threads about this issue. The other one is here.

headed down to try and show them issue now, wish me luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by cameraguy64:
-peterp- (08-12-2021), NT01 (07-16-2021), Smurfey002 (03-03-2022)
Old 07-16-2021, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I did a little testing of my own today, just to see if I could affect any change on the issue with different sources. I tried sine waves at different frequencies and even a blank audio file.

Couple interesting tidbits:
1. Playing a sine wave at just about any frequency, I used 1khz, definitely makes it easier to pick out than with the talk radio.
2. It doesn’t change until you hit ~16khz, around here I can’t hear sine wave at all any longer, nor can I hear the issue UNTIL you turn the radio volume up all the way, then you can hear it, but it’s much more apparent than at the lower volume. A much louder pop/crackle. Which is interesting, as usually volume doesn’t have the effect of amplifying it. (Remember to turn the volume back down if you try this yourself)
3. If you play a silent track, issue is not present. Even at full volume.
I played that 16 kHz file into an audio analysis tool and here's what I see from the 'scope:

Notice the waveform envelope is not stable. I suspect you are hearing the level discontinuities in the source rather than clicks produced by your B&O system. Try playing the file in your computer directly to speakers or headphones. If the clicks are audible, it's not B&O's fault.

Here's the 1 kHz file -- it is stable:

the common element for all of us seems to that we all have 2020/2021 models with the b&o “3D Premium Sound System” not the higher end, “3D advanced sound system”
unless there is anyone out there with the upgraded higher end bang also exhibiting this issue? is there anyone out there that does have this system and is confident the issue is NOT present for them?
I have the B&O premium 3D system and can confirm FWIW that I have not heard clicks from SD card, Sirius/XM, or Navigation.

The following 2 users liked this post by DrexLex:
festball (03-01-2023), Smurfey002 (03-03-2022)
Old 07-16-2021, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

oof drexlex you are right. you beat me to it, I meant to check this with headphones once I got home, and hadn't done it yet. Sorry folks, got a little ahead of myself.

I did try it with another youtube sine wave @16khz at the same time earlier today, which I just checked does not exhibit the same choppy unstable transitions in the waveform like the one I linked, and got the same results. You are right though, some of the popping I was hearing with the volume up on the 16khz with the above linked video was just baked into the clip though.

Regardless, I think the big takeaway is for those trying to replicate or show the dealer the issue, it's easier to notice if you use a constant sound like a sine wave. Anything within audible frequency will do just fine.
The following users liked this post:
DrexLex (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrexLex

I have the B&O premium 3D system and can confirm FWIW that I have not heard clicks from SD card, Sirius/XM, or Navigation.
Can confirm the amp part number is indeed the same for your q5?

I'm unclear whether my "booster" as they call it is part number: 4N0035223C or 4N0035223B. I'm guessing it's one of those two because 4N0035223A is the most expensive, and I don't have the upgraded BO system.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can confirm the amp part number is indeed the same for your q5?
Here's the amp in my car. Link to Part Number: 80A035223A.

I'm unclear whether my "booster" as they call it is part number: 4N0035223C or 4N0035223B. I'm guessing it's one of those two because 4N0035223A is the most expensive, and I don't have the upgraded BO system.
Correct. If you do not have B&O, it's a different unit altogether.

Very easy to access without disconnecting any connections to see the label. Just 2 Torx screws holds it in at bottom (for the Q5 anyway).

If you are near Idaho, I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot. ;-)

[ETA: I see you have a 2021 A6 Allroad. I'm confused as to whether you have B&O or not, as you previously wrote: "the common element for all of us seems to that we all have 2020/2021 models with the b&o “3D Premium Sound System” not the higher end, “3D advanced sound system”". AFAIK there is just the B&O 3D system, or the non-B&O systems.]

Last edited by DrexLex; 07-16-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: my confusion
Old 07-18-2021, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is really interesting...
I just got a 2021 SQ5 I don't believe I have the B&O system.
I was sitting in the car in my driveway idling texting on my phone. and suddenly POP... I looked up thought something hit the car...
Didn't see anything odd and went back to my phone.
a few minutes past and POP again...
The radio was not on. so it's really interesting to see this post... it was a loud POP as if over the speakers.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bspurloc
This is really interesting...
I just got a 2021 SQ5 I don't believe I have the B&O system.
I was sitting in the car in my driveway idling texting on my phone. and suddenly POP... I looked up thought something hit the car...
Didn't see anything odd and went back to my phone.
a few minutes past and POP again...
The radio was not on. so it's really interesting to see this post... it was a loud POP as if over the speakers.
Do you happen to have a water bottle in the car? They can make a nice snap when partially empty.

Quick Reply: B&O crackle/pop noises