Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

A/C Smells like acetone/nail polish/checmical

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default A/C Smells like acetone/nail polish/checmical

For the last few months I have been noticing a chemical smell in my car when first starting the engine / AC that reminds me of nail polish remover. Digging through the forum, it seems that replacing the cabin air filter is the typical fix. My car had the 40k service back in February and the dust filter should have been changed per the maintenance schedule. Is the dust filter the same as the cabin air filter on the SQ5? I am wondering if the dealer skipped changing it or if something else might be the cause.
In most cars I would just pull out the filter to inspect but it looks like it might be a touch aggravating to get to in the q5 line?

Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Don't know about the smell, but the cabin filter is not that difficult. It is in the passenger side foot-well under the glove compartment. Regarding "Dust Filter", this is the cabin air filter that should be replaced every 20k. The engine air filter is replaced every 60k.

This
shows replacing the Dust / Cabin Filter pretty well.
The following users liked this post:
rhranac (04-26-2021)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Generally speaking, a chemical smell is not going to be the cabin filter. Do you smell it when the A/C is off? You may have an A/C coolant leak.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:14 AM
Banned

Oh no, that is no good! I can notice a slight hint of it when I first get in the car after it has been closed up for a while and before starting the engine. Once I start the engine and turn on the a/c it will be very strong for the first minute or two and then dissipate and not really noticed the rest of the day even if the car sits for an hour or two in between errands.

The odd thing, although I cannot say for certain, is that is almost seems worse if I have the a/c off with the car set to pull in outside air. Does this still sound like a potential leak? I am hesitant to take it in because I feel like my dealership is very dismissive of any thing that can not be replicated immediately and even sometimes things that can be replicated.

@spindlewood , thanks for the excellent video!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210526-0001.pdf

Last edited by 4ringsnewbie; 06-07-2023 at 04:00 AM. Reason: updated TSB
The following 2 users liked this post by 4ringsnewbie:
Jonathan Clayton (07-11-2020), lowjdml (07-10-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this same nail polish odor on my previous Audi a MK1 Q5. I would get the smell after vehicle sat in rain/ humid conditions . Dealer replaced cabin air filter and performed vent cleaning service. No explanation for the source of odor was given, but my theory is the windshield washer fluid vapors contaminate the filter.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:19 AM
Banned

Super helpful, thanks!
The following users liked this post:
4ringsnewbie (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We had a similar experience with our Q3. It was resolved with just replacing the cabin air filter.

I think it was "acetone-like" to our noses but not necessarily the same chemical. Ours shifted over time and conditions to sometimes seem a little more like vinegar. One time, I swear it smelled like mushrooms, and I suspect that may be closer to the truth... some kind of fungal growth in the filter.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Mann FreciousPlus Cabin Filter
Old 08-16-2020, 08:22 AM
Banned

Finally made the trip to the dealer on Thursday. They kept the car over night to diagnose the smell since it typically only occurs on a cold start up. Thankfully they did notice the smell but traced it back to possible moldy cabin air filter. They changed the filter (on my dime) and i was able to get them to do the TSB referenced above as a courtesy even though it only applies for 12k miles. I am not sure if it was the TSB or air filter that fixed it, but the smell seems to be gone so far. If anyone else is having this, it might be cheaper and easier to try a cabin filter on your own before heading to dealer.

Quick Reply: A/C Smells like acetone/nail polish/checmical