Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Wireless CarPlay, what actually happens? - AudiWorld Forums
The following users liked this post:
Centerfield13 (02-27-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkM
There is no need for the iPhone to be unlocked to connect to CarPlay. Older iPhone are less compatible but anything 11 or newer should work if the newest iOS is installed. The iPhone must be near the center console, ideally in the charger or tray under the armrest, having it in the left shirt/jacket/pant pocket works less reliable.

if there are issues, delete the phone form the car (under TEL/BT devices) and the car from the phone (under BT as well as WIFi/WLAN), restart MMI (hold volume button until MMI restarts) and phone. Make sure BT and WIFi are on on the phone.

Then find the car with the phone via BT. Once connected via BT the phone will prompt you whether or not to use wireless CarPlay. Say yes to make it work. Start over if you do not get the prompt.
Hi, I doubt a phone in the pocket might connect less reliably then under armrest or on the charger... Bluetooth's reach is far greater and I sometimes got a few meters outside car and Bluetooth connection didn't interrupt.
I have tried to reset phone and car connections (though did not reset MMI), that helped but after 3-5 successful automatic connections when igniting the car the problem appeared again on next ignition :-(
I really don't understand what's going on there, the erratic nature of the issue makes it hard to grasp !
Old 02-26-2022, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Wireless CarPlay does not use BT, it uses low power 5GHz WLAN. And the WLAN in all Audis is focused on passenger locations but not the driver.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wireless CarPlay does not use BT, it uses low power 5GHz WLAN. And the WLAN in all Audis is focused on passenger locations but not the driver.
Thanks - OK so it means BT is needed to "start" the connection though it works via WLAN, am I correct ? (FYI, sometimes when connection won't start automatically, I can see the message on driver screen : "no bluetooth connection" - which is weird since my BT is always on)
If the WLAN module is located on the passenger side as you write, then this should still be OK if phone in my pocket isn't it ?
Do you think then it might be an issue with my Wi-Fi settings ? Conflict with other connections ? In my Wi-Fi settings I have "Ask to join networks" as "Off" (I guess should be like this) and "aAuto-Join Hotspot" as "Ask to Join" (I never changed this one).
FYI I recently tried to reset network settings, I could auto connect successfully on ignition 5 times, and after, same issues
Old 02-26-2022, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

You are not joining the Audi WiFi hotspot with your iPhone, you connect via BT to the MMI which then establishes a private WiFi connection between the MMI and the iPhone. So you should not see the Audi hotspot under WIFI on your phone, only under BT.

As a test, I would put the phone somewhere in the center console and see if reliability improves.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You are not joining the Audi WiFi hotspot with your iPhone, you connect via BT to the MMI which then establishes a private WiFi connection between the MMI and the iPhone. So you should not see the Audi hotspot under WIFI on your phone, only under BT.

As a test, I would put the phone somewhere in the center console and see if reliability improves.
I confirm I also had some autoconnect issues when phone on the charger or on passenger seat.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Intermittent Airplay connection problems is a known issue mentioned in other threads, it connects but sometimes you get a blank screen. You can still skip music using the steering wheel controls or the **** on the console, so Airplay is connected

For me it happens about every 1 in 4 times and is quite annoying, The workaround is to toggle Wi-Fi off and on the phone and it will then connect and show the screen.

I mostly keep my phone in my left pocket and there are no issues with the actual Wi-Fi connection just the blank screen sometimes
Old 02-26-2022, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

I’m curious as to what you guys are using for the music source? XM, phone, etc. I only ask because my IPhone 8+ connects about 99% of the time wirelessly. Every once in awhile the Audi app opens just before CarPlay and sort of blocks it out. I just manually reconnect the phone on the MMI and all is good. My music source is almost always an IPOD plugged directly in using the smaller USB cable so I’m not using the phone for music (kind of my point for asking above). Occasionally I will use Spotify and Tidal for music from the phone but mostly I just use nav, text or calls from the phone itself. Probably doesn’t help much but thought I’d share my set up.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I use Apple Music on my iPhone, works well with Siri also.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hi not sure I’m replying correctly sorry if not - my car actually told me to unlock the phone to connect - this has happened to me a few times. The suggestion was based on my experience. Thanks.

There is no need for the iPhone to be unlocked to connect to CarPlay. Older iPhone are less compatible but anything 11 or newer should work if the newest iOS is installed. The iPhone must be near the center console, ideally in the charger or tray under the armrest, having it in the left shirt/jacket/pant pocket works less reliable.

if there are issues, delete the phone form the car (under TEL/BT devices) and the car from the phone (under BT as well as WIFi/WLAN), restart MMI (hold volume button until MMI restarts) and phone. Make sure BT and WIFi are on on the phone.

Then find the car with the phone via BT. Once connected via BT the phone will prompt you whether or not to use wireless CarPlay. Say yes to make it work. Start over if you do not get the prompt.

Quick Reply: Carplay doesn't connect automatically