Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Carplay doesn't connect automatically

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoeyR7
hi not sure I’m replying correctly sorry if not - my car actually told me to unlock the phone to connect - this has happened to me a few times. The suggestion was based on my experience. Thanks.
Hi, thanks, if that's true, does that mean I should take off the phone from my pocket and face-unlock it each time I get in to the car? Pretty poor user expérience 😐 thanks
Old 02-28-2022, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Hi, thanks, if that's true, does that mean I should take off the phone from my pocket and face-unlock it each time I get in to the car? Pretty poor user expérience 😐 thanks
You don't need to unlock the phone to use Carplay
Old 02-28-2022, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by websterab
You don't need to unlock the phone to use Carplay
That's what I was thinking :-)
Old 02-28-2022, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do we agree that the best way forward with this intermittent BT connection is what billbak proposed in another thread here (I paste below), praying for the BT connection to become stable - and ideally go to the dealer ?

Originally Posted by billbak
FWIW, I found a reproducible way to get it to connect this afternoon. Not sure why anything changed this week, the phone and the car have not had any recent updates. Or more accurately, it worked fine since the last iOS update but then failed recently.
  • Start the car.
  • Wait for the signal that BT has connected, this is taking between three and five minutes now, it used to take far, far less time.
  • Go into settings on the phone, wireless, pick the car's 5G connection. Get the error message, "Hotspot login cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server." This is a big clue -- is there a cert somewhere that expired? Maybe the WWDC presentations will tell me about that.
  • Press OK on the error message.
  • Wait a few more minutes for the phone to connect to the car's hotspot. (I know, it said it can't but it does...)
  • Then press the "Phone Apps" icon on the main MMI screen. That tells me I need to be connected to the car's hotspot.
  • Press the "Goto connected devices" button. (I may have the exact wording of that wrong)
  • Select my phone.
  • CarPlay starts.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry, pasting the right message below from DirkM :

There have been various reports of wireless CarPlay issues if the phone gets connected to the car's WiFi hotspot. It's better to connect the phone via BT only and let it switch to its "private" WiFi connection for CarPlay. Once the phone is connected to the car's WiFi, it will always try to establish The WiFi link first before trying BT. That's why there may be more noticeable delays after starting the car.

Short of doing a factory reset on the MMI I would suggest the following:
- delete the phone from the car (both BT and WiFi clients)
- delete the car from the phone (both in BT as well as WiFi)
- connect the phone to the car via BT only, this will cause a prompt on the phone asking if you want to use this connection for CarPlay, confirm with ok or yes
- the phone will then establish a "private" WiFi connection to the MMI to use for CarPlay but the initial pairing after starting the car is done via BT

The main difference is that with an initial BT connection, your phone uses its data plan for Internet and not the car's.
If the initial connection is via WiFi, the phone will use the car's WiFi for Internet which will stop working without Audi Connect Prime (unless WiFi Assist is enabled in the phone).
Old 03-08-2022, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just asking. In order my iPhone to connect via Bluetooth on car ignition - should my iPhone have WiFi activated AND not being connected to any WiFi network?
After resetting network setup on phone and and MMI, being on a place without active WiFi connections, my phone successfully connected on car ignition 5 times in a row. Hence my question 😊
Old 03-08-2022, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

should my iPhone have WiFi activated AND not being connected to any WiFi network?
At least not to the MMI Wifi. When I get in the car, my phone is still connected to the home Wifi. But once it connects to the car via BT, Wifi will disconnect from the home and connect to the MMI.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Anyway I guess the phone won't try to connect to the MMI's Wi-Fi unless purposely setup in the wireless settings? And give "priority" to establishing connection via Bluetooth.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Anyway I guess the phone won't try to connect to the MMI's Wi-Fi unless purposely setup in the wireless settings? And give "priority" to establishing connection via Bluetooth.
That is my understanding about how it works.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a Q5 since October.
The MMI won't connect automatically with my iPhone around half of the time, and I can't isolate the reason :
- When first setting up MMI, I entered my audi id and chose phone Bluetooth with Carplay as the way to go
- No phone around with Bluetooth (which may trigger conflict)
- Tried to reset factory settings on the MMI, updated my IOS, reset network settings on my phone.... A few times... Same issue
When my iPhone won't connect to MMI, I try to connect manually with phone and MMI but next time driving the same error appears...

Thanks for your help! I really thoight automatic instant connection between my Q5 and my phone would go without saying. Especially for a brand like Audi!
I think you can check whether your phone and CarPlay are connected to the same network. After the first successful setup of wireless CarPlay, it can automatically connect every time you start the car, and your phone can be placed anywhere in the car.

Quick Reply: Carplay doesn't connect automatically