Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Carplay doesn't connect automatically

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exarheas
I think you can check whether your phone and CarPlay are connected to the same network. After the first successful setup of wireless CarPlay, it can automatically connect every time you start the car, and your phone can be placed anywhere in the car.
Not sure what you mean here. How can phone and carplay (both on the phone) be connected to a different network?

I'm also wondering. Can the way I turn off my car each time play a role too? When I stop my car, enter the "N" position, I can either press the "P" key which turns off the engine (I think) or press "start/stop" which yields the same thing. Just wondering.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry but no amount of fiddling with connections or how the phone connects to the MMI resolves wireless CarPlay issues. The integration here is a disaster. Half the time mine won’t connect, other times I get a black screen. It’s just awful to the point where I want to throw something at the screen.

I’m not at all impressed with the quality control of this vehicle especially considering it’s an old design they’ve had years to master. Squeaky seals around the doors when the temperature gets warm outside, squealing wheels when reversing without applying my brakes, they had to replace my rotors at 15,000km service. Had rattle in tailgate that needed to be fixed. And the latest issue is my tailgate randomly opening by itself when parked. This has happened a half dozen times already.

im ready to ditch this vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
baz-mtl (03-17-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

For me it was an issue with the Audi app on my phone. The toggle wasn’t switched to auto connect. I changed the toggle and all was good.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Strictly
For me it was an issue with the Audi app on my phone. The toggle wasn’t switched to auto connect. I changed the toggle and all was good.
Interesting. I had never noticed this options screen in the Audi app. Thanks for this.
The auto connect toggle so far was off on my end as well.
I'll let you know if that changes anything with the connection behavior.
Last days my phone was auto connecting ~95% of attempts. Would that be the key for the 5% remaining? 😄
Anyway, just wondering in that case why is the phone still connecting automatically (though not always) with the auto connect toggle off...
Old 03-21-2022, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't even see that option in my Audi app on the iPhone. Is this perhaps a setting for the Android App? I've checked through the various settings screens within the app, don't see any mention of automatic login on MMI.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JagStyles
I don't even see that option in my Audi app on the iPhone. Is this perhaps a setting for the Android App? I've checked through the various settings screens within the app, don't see any mention of automatic login on MMI.
Got an iPhone as well. Just click on the "person" icon on the bottom-right corner, then "Vehicle connection" which is under "Services". I got it in another language but I guess that's more or less this.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uninstalled my audi app.
Useless app!
Old 03-23-2022, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just gave my car back to the dealership. They offered to give me $3k to take back my leased vehicle. Pickup my 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio on Friday, hoping to have better luck with that vehicle - nothing but issues with my Q5 which is shocking considering it's not a new design by any means. I realize the Stelvio isn't perfect but no SUV drives like the Stelvio.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Interesting. I had never noticed this options screen in the Audi app. Thanks for this.
The auto connect toggle so far was off on my end as well.
I'll let you know if that changes anything with the connection behavior.
Last days my phone was auto connecting ~95% of attempts. Would that be the key for the 5% remaining? 😄
Anyway, just wondering in that case why is the phone still connecting automatically (though not always) with the auto connect toggle off...
Just a quick update. Everything still (surprisingly!) working well
I didn't even have to disable the "Private IP address" as advised on the WiFi network settings page.
Let's see. As I believe in Murphy Law - I can bet within 1-2 days the connection will start messing again