Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Carplay takes over Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carplay takes over Radio?

2018 Q5 Technik (CDN)

This only started happening a few months ago (not sure if I can correlate to iOs versions) - but here's the gist.

Listening to Radio. Plug in iPhone (8Plus iOs 11.2.5) - and within 1 minute or so- the MMI shuts off the Radio and switched to CarPlay as audio source (even though there is nothing playing)
If I exit back to MMI - or hit the Radio Button adjacent to the track pad on the car - it will switch to Radio as desired- but will flip back to Car Play as audio source- again and again and again...so unless I use Tune-in or Radio Player Canada I cannot listen to Radio in my Luxury SUV.. seems kind of wrong.

Any word from the community on when / if we will get Google Earth / maps on the MMI here in Canada with a SIM card inserted in the glove box? Very disappointed that we can't get traffic data on the beautiful Virtual Cockpit display.

As an aside- the windows express opening when I go to close them if they are cracked open a touch is also very annoying.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’ve had this issue too...where hitting radio button doesn’t stick and it goes back to CarPlay. I resolved it by unplugging and replugging my phone.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thxguy
2018 Q5 Technik (CDN)

This only started happening a few months ago (not sure if I can correlate to iOs versions) - but here's the gist.

Listening to Radio. Plug in iPhone (8Plus iOs 11.2.5) - and within 1 minute or so- the MMI shuts off the Radio and switched to CarPlay as audio source (even though there is nothing playing)
If I exit back to MMI - or hit the Radio Button adjacent to the track pad on the car - it will switch to Radio as desired- but will flip back to Car Play as audio source- again and again and again...so unless I use Tune-in or Radio Player Canada I cannot listen to Radio in my Luxury SUV.. seems kind of wrong.

Any word from the community on when / if we will get Google Earth / maps on the MMI here in Canada with a SIM card inserted in the glove box? Very disappointed that we can't get traffic data on the beautiful Virtual Cockpit display.

As an aside- the windows express opening when I go to close them if they are cracked open a touch is also very annoying.
2018 technik Q5 here too...

haven’t had the problem with the radio, only time I find it switches to the iPhone is in the initial plug in then once I put it back to radio it stays. Is it possible that your phone doesn’t have a good connection? And it keeps reconnecting?

The window thing drives me crazy too! Especially when there’s snow on the window so you don’t want it all the way down so it all falls in. Seems if you have it down for a period of time then hit the up button it works? I don’t get why it wouldn’t just go up in the first place, not down