Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Cold Weather Package - Auto Headlight Washers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cold Weather Package - Auto Headlight Washers?

Greetings,

Can someone with the Q5/SQ5 Cold Weather Package confirm for me that they have automatic headlight washers on their vehicles? And by this I mean confirm they have seen them deploy and squirt their headlights?

The Automatic Headlight washing system is designed to work when the headlights are on and deploy a spray of windshield wiper fluid after every 5th pull back of the windshield wiper stalk. However, I learned yesterday that my Prestige SQ5 does not have automatic headlight washers and the little cover in the bumper is just that, a cover. This came as a complete shock to me, but after getting a print out of the build sheet, Code 8X0 'Without Headlamp Washer System', it was confirmed.

I was under the impression that the Q5/SQ5 Cold Weather Package added heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel (eliminated the flat bottom on SQ5's wheel). But I now also think (though totally not documented in any literature I've read) that the Cold Weather Package is the only package that includes the headlight washing system.

Thanks, David
Old 11-10-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know, I'll have to see what's on mine, but I for one HATE those things. I detail my own car and it makes an absolute mess. I hope they don't work on mine. I haven't and usually avoid pulling the stalk. HATE it. Only once in my life did I need it and that was when in the car, in the snow, for 3 hours.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I Have a 2018 Q5 prestige with cold weather. I have the headlight washers and I believe they function but never checked. I too wish they could be controlled separately as I assume they make a mess.

Ill try try and play with them this weekend and let you know if they function.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bmiletta
I Have a 2018 Q5 prestige with cold weather. I have the headlight washers and I believe they function but never checked. I too wish they could be controlled separately as I assume they make a mess.

Ill try try and play with them this weekend and let you know if they function.

Thanks. The headlight washer feature doesn't seem to be listed on ANY version of the Q5/SQ5 on Audi's website and this makes absolutely no sense to me. Though I don't disagree that it's rather an annoying feature for those of us OCD car detailers, I'm just curious how it's possible that I have basically a fully loaded car (sans Cold Weather Package) and this capability ISN'T on my car.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Canadian vehicles seem to be equipped with the functionality. US cars are not.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Canadian vehicles seem to be equipped with the functionality. US cars are not.
Just went on the Canadian Audi configurator webpage, and even your versions don't specifically call out headlight washers. Now, to your point, there is also no such thing as a 'Cold Weather Package' (as IF Canada gets cold, haha), so quite possibly all Canadian vehicles have Cold Weather package by default, thus headlight washers. But, I cannot believe ALL USA models have the headlight washer covers, and no headlight washers.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Just went on the Canadian Audi configurator webpage, and even your versions don't specifically call out headlight washers. Now, to your point, there is also no such thing as a 'Cold Weather Package' (as IF Canada gets cold, haha), so quite possibly all Canadian vehicles have Cold Weather package by default, thus headlight washers. But, I cannot believe ALL USA models have the headlight washer covers, and no headlight washers.
I'm in the US, and regrettably, we get the covers and no washers. Welcome to the world of Audi. I retrofitted them on previous vehicles. Certain models, like A4 and A5, don't even have the covers.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If true, I for one am f’n thrilled.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Damn. Got my SQ5 a couple of months ago. Was assured by the sales guy that it had headlight washers, but when the snow and slop started a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t get them to work. Returned to dealership and found out the hard way that no Canadian Q5s or SQ5s are equipped with them, despite the look of the little covers. They lied to me.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jprouette
Damn. Got my SQ5 a couple of months ago. Was assured by the sales guy that it had headlight washers, but when the snow and slop started a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t get them to work. Returned to dealership and found out the hard way that no Canadian Q5s or SQ5s are equipped with them, despite the look of the little covers. They lied to me.
I’m due to pick up my Q5 in a week or two and also specifically asked about headlight washers prior to making my order. The salesman assured me that Canadian Q5s have the headlight washers in front and a nozzle to clean the rear camera as well. Can anyone in Canada confirm whether this is true or not? It’s ridiculous how uninformed and/or untruthful the sales staff are. I expected far better from a luxury brand. What are we paying for???

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Package - Auto Headlight Washers?