Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

DIY: 2018-2020 Q5/SQ5 and B9 A4 Retrofit Real Red Door Edge Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
Default DIY: 2018-2020 Q5/SQ5 and B9 A4 Retrofit Real Red Door Edge Warning Lights

Back in 2017, I was disappointed that Audi elected to remove the red warning light on the edge of the inside of the door. I retrofitted OEM Audi parts source kit from a member here in Canada named Eric. He's a good guy (and at the time, sold another OEM sourced parts kit to add a second trunk light in the A4). The original thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...b9-a4-2915685/

When it was time to turn in my leased A4, the same issue popped on the 2018-2020 Q5. It just didn't look right. After eyeballing lens size on the A4 and Q5, they appeared to be the same. So that got me to think- perhaps, I could remove the red lighting kit from the A4 and move it into the Q5.

Although taking a door panel off isn't that big of a deal, I'd rather not if I didn't have to. I did not for the A4 and was not planning on doing this to the Q5 either.

Be careful to remove the existing red reflector. Using a small flat screwdriver, carefully lift the top edge of the light off. The plastic clip tabs on it are very easily broken. (I think 2 out of the 4 were broken partially).

The same for the white puddle lights- these tabs seem to be more robust and resistant to breaking as easily. Unclick, the puddle light bulb housing from the wiring harness.

Taking the OEM sourced wiring harness, I taped it to a straightened metal coat hanger since I lent my wiring fish tape out. I used Scotch tape to wrap around the edge of the hanger so that I would not cause any scratches from the sharper edges. With a little patience, you should be able to thread it from the vertical door opening (reflector side) down thru the door panel to the puddle light opening. Take your time and it should be fairly straight forward without causing any snags/damage. Once you've reached the puddle light opening, you should be able to hold one end of the harness and untape the coat hanger (or simply withdraw it and holding the wire with the other hand).

Click the wiring harness to the car side plug and the other end into the puddle light. Replace the puddle light.

Lastly, click the OEM Red light to the wiring harness at the vertical door opening and then, gentle, but firmly insert the red light housing downside (wires facing down was easiest for me) and then attempt to put the top edge into the opening. It's a pretty tight fit. I had to remove the red light housing several times and it took a little finessing of to fit the red light's lens into the Q5 opening (required using a small screwdriver as act as a blunt file to remove some of the excess edges of the door panel material into the lens opening), eventually, it can fit without breaking anything.

Last edited by calbear92; 12-17-2019 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AndyM001 (05-07-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice.
Do you have part #(s) for the harness, housing and lens?
Old 12-17-2019, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I got the OEM sourced kit from ekyp.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all,
i know this is a few months old thread. Soooo i'm really kinda irked about these puddle lights. I just picked up a new 2020 Sq5 with the beam rings factory installed only in the front doors. Yes the doors have the red reflector but no lights, BUT the biggest issue i have it that there are no puddle lights in the rear doors!!!! The hole isn't even cut out. I'm wondering if anyone here with a 2020 SQ5 US spec has the rear puddle lights.
I've been reading that the rear door puddle lights are absent if 1: you have the beam rings opted from the factory, or 2: you have the B and O system.
Id like to get the red and the rear puddles working. Has anyone cut the hole open to install rear puddles?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Did your SQ5 come with the B&O option? Do a search and I think you might find some relevant discussion.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Have a 2020 SQ5 US car. Has the Beam Rings on the front doors and regular lights installed on the back doors. All factory installed. Also have the B&O sound system.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by patmurphey
Did your SQ5 come with the B&O option? Do a search and I think you might find some relevant discussion.
Yes I did a pretty good search and all I saw was the exception in a6 and a7 with b and o like the Audi website says. Some people are saying they have the rears and some don't with b and o. So that's why I'm confused. I'm wondering if the rings didn't come factory then u would get all 4 standard puddle doors.
When I went back to the dealership all their 2020 sq5s had the rings option and no rear puddle lights. Couldn't find any with it.

Missing rear puddle lights. 2020 sq5 bought in California
Old 05-11-2020, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BarneyM
Have a 2020 SQ5 US car. Has the Beam Rings on the front doors and regular lights installed on the back doors. All factory installed. Also have the B&O sound system.
Hi Barney. Where in us did you get your car? I'm still really stumped at this. I'm tempted to contact corporate and ask.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Curios, could it be related to the difference in trim levels? Premium, vs Premium+, vs Prestige?
Old 05-11-2020, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by baurat88
Hi Barney. Where in us did you get your car? I'm still really stumped at this. I'm tempted to contact corporate and ask.
I ordered from and was delivered by Walters Audi, Riverside CA.

Quick Reply: DIY: 2018-2020 Q5/SQ5 and B9 A4 Retrofit Real Red Door Edge Warning Lights