Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Drive Select

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Also, in case it isn't clear. Audi offers two different steering racks. The standard steering and the optional dynamic steering. The latter is only available on certain trims. The video above shows how the dynamic steering works and behaves in the different modes. The standard steering is different. It only changes the weight of the steering slightly from 'comfort' to 'dynamic'. Many feel the standard steering is numb, especially in dynamic mode. The added weight in dynamic has the downside of taking away feedback.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As always, good follow-up SuperSwiss!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I've discovered in my '18 Q5 that if I set the engine/transmission parameter to "Dynamic" in drive select INDIVIDUAL mode (which immediately changes normal D mode to S sport mode while I'm operating the vehicle), on the next engine restart the system defaults to normal D mode, despite the fact the engine/transmission parameter remains in Dynamic in INDIVIDUAL and my drive select is still set to INDIVIDUAL. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why this is happening? Software bug? Or purposely done this way by Audi for fuel economy reasons?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rbreeze
I've discovered in my '18 Q5 that if I set the engine/transmission parameter to "Dynamic" in drive select INDIVIDUAL mode (which immediately changes normal D mode to S sport mode while I'm operating the vehicle), on the next engine restart the system defaults to normal D mode, despite the fact the engine/transmission parameter remains in Dynamic in INDIVIDUAL and my drive select is still set to INDIVIDUAL. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why this is happening? Software bug? Or purposely done this way by Audi for fuel economy reasons?
That's by design. Regardless of your last used mode, the powertrain is required to start in the mode that the EPA tested the car for fuel economy and that's always D. Just pull back on the shifter to put it back to S.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's by design. Regardless of your last used mode, the powertrain is required to start in the mode that the EPA tested the car for fuel economy and that's always D. Just pull back on the shifter to put it back to S.
^ Interesting - thanks for that information. So this applies to ANY last used Drive Select driving mode, including full-on Dynamic.
This (EPA driven) requirement kind of makes the Engine/Transmission setting in Individual mode largely redundant.
It's odd there's no mention of this "forced reversion to normal D mode" requirement (on shutdown/re-start) in the owner's manual.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Interesting - thanks for that information. So this applies to ANY last used Drive Select driving mode, including full-on Dynamic.
This (EPA driven) requirement kind of makes the Engine/Transmission setting in Individual mode largely redundant.
It's odd there's no mention of this "forced reversion to normal D mode" requirement (on shutdown/re-start) in the owner's manual.
Correct, it applies to all Drive Select modes, and yes, setting engine/transmission to 'dynamic' in 'individual' if you always leave it in 'individual' is pointless. You'll have to manually put the powertrain back in 'dynamic' every time by pulling back on the shifter to go into S after restarting the engine. I don't remember if there's anything in the owner's manual, but it is something that both my sales person and the delivery person in Germany during European Delivery pointed out.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct, it applies to all Drive Select modes, and yes, setting engine/transmission to 'dynamic' in 'individual' if you always leave it in 'individual' is pointless. You'll have to manually put the powertrain back in 'dynamic' every time by pulling back on the shifter to go into S after restarting the engine. I don't remember if there's anything in the owner's manual, but it is something that both my sales person and the delivery person in Germany during European Delivery pointed out.
^ Superswiss, thanks for confirming & elaborating - great info/good to know.

/R