Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Drive system fault 2017 SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive system fault 2017 SQ5

I keep getting this error popping up every now and then. So I did take it to the dealer and gave them the printout. Since they cannot replicate the issue they say that they cannot fix it, even with the readout. Anyone have any ideas?

Trouble codes:
P227900 - Intake Air System Leak
static
Date: 2019-09-14 18:52:24
Mileage: 24064 km
Priority: 2
Malfunction frequency counter: 14
Unlearning counter: 255
Engine speed: 662.50 1/min
Normed load value: 5.9 %
Vehicle speed: 4 km/h
Coolant temperature: 100 °C
Intake air temperature: 57 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1020 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.100 V

Old 06-23-2020, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 397 Likes on 282 Posts

Have you gone the Google route? For example:
https://www.obd-codes.com/p2279

Some options:
First document every time it happens.
  • if you're under warranty, keep taking it to the dealer for documentation purposes. Sounds like a pain, but you will hopefully get them to take you seriously and Lemon Laws kick in after 3 visits for the same thing.
  • Ask AOA to get involved on the 3rd try.
  • You could perform diagnostics on your own or pay an indie shop to do it for you.
  • If you're still under warranty, ask the dealer to pay for repairs once you know what the problem is.
Also, you should post in the MKI forum if yours is a 2017 model. This is the MKII forum. 2018+
The following 2 users liked this post by spindlewood:
funguf (06-23-2020), Sandroad (02-12-2022)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:57 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

If you are going to try and tackle this on your own...and you suspect no other actual intake leaks.
Check the oil fill cap is sealed properly.
Check the oil dipstick tube (if it still exists) has the cap on it.
Check voltage at map sensor connector:
IGNITION: ON
• DISCONNECT: Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor connector
• CHECK: Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor connector terminals 1 to 3 for voltage
• SPECIFIED VALUE: About 5.0 V
Check/replace the MAP sensor.
The following users liked this post:
funguf (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's a MkII (B9) SQ5, probably one of the earlier ones. The Virtual Cockpit should have been a giveaway :-)

I had Googled before I came here, so my post is only really a last resort.

So it's at the dealer at the moment for an interim service which includes an oil change. It had a couple of issues that had been lingering for a while and I'd hoped to get them all resolved before the warranty runs out in July. If the dealer cannot replicate the issue, then I'd have to try and resolve it myself before getting someone else to take a look...but at cost.

I had Audi run the car for 20 mins idle, which would usually be enough for the warning light to come on but when they did this today, nothing happened. So I wonder if it was a loose oil cap after all...let's see if the error goes away after I get it back else I'll try the MAP sensor next. I just hope it is in an accessible location!

Thanks for the pointers!
Old 06-23-2020, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 397 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by funguf
It's a MkII (B9) SQ5, probably one of the earlier ones. The Virtual Cockpit should have been a giveaway :-)
Makes sense. I've never seen the word "workshop" before on the display. Usually it's "service". What country are you in?

Originally Posted by funguf
I had Googled before I came here, so my post is only really a last resort.

So it's at the dealer at the moment for an interim service which includes an oil change. It had a couple of issues that had been lingering for a while and I'd hoped to get them all resolved before the warranty runs out in July. If the dealer cannot replicate the issue, then I'd have to try and resolve it myself before getting someone else to take a look...but at cost.

I had Audi run the car for 20 mins idle, which would usually be enough for the warning light to come on but when they did this today, nothing happened. So I wonder if it was a loose oil cap after all...let's see if the error goes away after I get it back else I'll try the MAP sensor next. I just hope it is in an accessible location!

Thanks for the pointers!
Murphy's law that it won't throw the code while at the dealer. Intermittent stuff can be a bear. At least you've got it registered as a problem before warranty expires. Likely they'd cover it after warranty once it is repeatable. Good luck and let us know how this gets resolved.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Nothing to add other than i had a similar experience in my '18 SQ5. This happened early one morning in March, restarting the car cleared the error and i have not seen any other indication of trouble (Except the chemical smell I mentioned recently which i doubt is related) . I have been holding off on taking in to the dealership because I am sure they will be unable to replicate and will blame on a dirty sensor etc. I'd be interested to hear how this plays out at your dealer. I plan to mention when I take it in for my last under warranty service in a few months.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in the UK. Hopefully, they will cover it if the problem gets more severe.

Will come back with an update in a month.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan Clayton

Nothing to add other than i had a similar experience in my '18 SQ5. This happened early one morning in March, restarting the car cleared the error and i have not seen any other indication of trouble (Except the chemical smell I mentioned recently which i doubt is related) . I have been holding off on taking in to the dealership because I am sure they will be unable to replicate and will blame on a dirty sensor etc. I'd be interested to hear how this plays out at your dealer. I plan to mention when I take it in for my last under warranty service in a few months.
Do you have anything to scan for the error code? The warning I get comes on very infrequently and seemingly random.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatever came of your code p2279?