Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Drive System Malfunction/Car Dying & Check Engine Light in 2019 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive System Malfunction/Car Dying & Check Engine Light in 2019 Q5

Hello All,

I’ve got a 2019 Audi Q5 that I’ve had for about 6 months and it has been driving perfectly up until a few days ago when I took it in for an oil change. I picked it up and drove 7 minutes from the dealership/shop to my gym where I sat in the parking lot on the phone leaving the car to idle for around 10 minutes. After that time, I get prompted with the “drive system malfunction” error. I do some quick google searched and most results say it’s nothing to worry about, so I disregard and let my car idle for a minute or so while I’m on the phone. Following that minute my car suddenly starts to shake, not aggressively, but still shaking and dies shortly after. Check engine light now on. The car does not start so I decide to have it towed. An hour and a half goes by and I try to start the car to move it into an area the tow truck can reach and it starts again.

i have the car towed back to the shop that performed the oil change and they state that the issue is unrelated to the work they performed and that the diagnostic code they are receiving is related to the fuel pump. They did not give me the actual code to verify on my end if what they were saying was the truth.

Later that day I decide to pick the car up and bring it home so at least I can decide what to do next. The car makes it 20 minutes from the dealership to the final turn before my home and the same “drive system malfunction” pops up and seconds later I lose all power and the engine dies. At this point I call Audi and book the soonest appointment I can which is two weeks away. Later that evening I go back to my car, start it, and get it home.

Today I decide to turn the car on and let it idle in the drive way to see if the issue still persists and sure enough after about 10 minutes of idling I get the same error and the car dies and refuses to start.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? I am extremely confused and can’t seem to find any related stories online anywhere. While I wait for Audi to take me in,
I hope someone would be able to help me out in this forum.

I am purchasing an Opd2 reader so I can verify the code the shop got.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

It is not unheard of for a rookie mechanic to drain the trans, and overfill the oil. If this was the case there would have been a message at some point to remove some oil. Was the first dealer a quick change place, or experienced Audi shop?
Old 05-04-2023, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It was a licensed hyundai dealership. I purchased the car used from this dealership and the only reason I took my car there for an oil change is because they gave me 6 free ones. I’m getting my OBD reader today, will update the forum when I read the codes.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Those symptoms can be caused by a wide range of things, including coilovers and injectors. I had the same issue and had all the injectors replaced and one coilover. Nothing worked. Finally, one of the dealership mechanics scoped the engine and visually saw a cracked intake valve spring. They replaced the spring, and 7,000 mi later the car is still going strong. Incidentally, it happened at around 61,000 mi.
Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I got the following codes, any suggestions on how to deal with them or best solutions? I’ve got an appointment with Audi on the 16th but I’d like to figure this out sooner.

P025A
fuel pump module control circuit/open

P0148
fuel delivery error

P228C
Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Exceeded Control Limits - Pressure Too Low
Old 05-05-2023, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

I think it will be either the fuel pump or its control module. Either could fail with the symptoms you have: running for a few minutes and then failing. You might try a search on here or Google for those codes.

I’m puzzled by a possible connection to the oil change. Did they use a cleaner or treatment in the gas?
Old 05-06-2023, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sandroad
I think it will be either the fuel pump or its control module. Either could fail with the symptoms you have: running for a few minutes and then failing. You might try a search on here or Google for those codes.

I’m puzzled by a possible connection to the oil change. Did they use a cleaner or treatment in the gas?

I’m not sure whether they used any treatment or cleaner. It’s definitely odd as the car was having no issues when I dropped it off, but issues immediately after picking up.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Your oil change is probably a red herring. If you wouldn't have taken it in, this would most likely have happened anyways. That looks like a HPFP failure.

Last edited by Wires; 05-06-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

Similarly I had this issue with a VW Passat, It would drive fine for 5-10 minutes then randomly cut out and sputter to a stop. It ended up being the fuel pump control module, kept overheating. Very cheap fix if you find the part and do it yourself, worth a shot.
The following users liked this post:
Wires (05-07-2023)