Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Driveline Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driveline Vibration?

I have noticed recently a vibration in the steering wheel, and sometime felt in accelerator pedal a vibration at certain speeds and RPMs. Most of the vibration is when in D, and the RPM is around 1500, regardless of speed. At higher RPMs it goes away and in S mode it is rarely felt or more muted. I know that this wasn't present when I first purchased, so wondering if any one else has experienced this?
Old 12-19-2017, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe I have experienced this vibration as well. It is faint, but noticeable. I need to pay closer attention to it and note the circumstances before I get the dealer involved. I believe, in general, the engine runs at higher RPMs when in S mode so that may be why the vibration isn't as noticeable then.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same complaint. Has anyone got this resolved. My dealer just wrote it off to engine vibration.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah. Sold it and got an A4.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:40 PM
RLL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the vibration at 1300 to 1400 rpm. My dealer gave me the standard "couldn't replicate the problem" diagnosis. It's not a periodic occurrence, it is constant, so replicating the issue should not be part of the conversation. I was in no mood to get into a debate, so I will try again another time. At least now I know it's not just me.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

This is simple if you think about a manual transmission. In Auto or Comfort, at around a steady 40 to 50 mph the engine will be turning as low as 1200rpm. There is no torque converter in a dual clutch transmission, so that when you add slight power you feel a bit of vibration from lugging. When you add slightly more gas, it shifts to the next gear up smoothing the vibration out. It's exactly what would happen with a manual transmission at those low rpms. It's absolutely not an issue as the low rpms contribute to good gas mileage. You can go to Sport or drive more aggressively, never feel the vibration and burn more gas.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 AM
RLL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patmurphey
This is simple if you think about a manual transmission. In Auto or Comfort, at around a steady 40 to 50 mph the engine will be turning as low as 1200rpm. There is no torque converter in a dual clutch transmission, so that when you add slight power you feel a bit of vibration from lugging. When you add slightly more gas, it shifts to the next gear up smoothing the vibration out. It's exactly what would happen with a manual transmission at those low rpms. It's absolutely not an issue as the low rpms contribute to good gas mileage. You can go to Sport or drive more aggressively, never feel the vibration and burn more gas.
Thanks for this. I suspected this was a characteristic of the dual clutch transmission, and your explanation was exactly what I wanted from the dealer as confirmation.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I get this vibration at 1200-2100 rpm I think. This is normal characteristic of this car? My wife's Q5 is 2 days old, had 12 miles on it when we bought it.

Its very light but noticeable only when accelerating esp. at Lower rpms. Seems to go away around 2500 rpm and dynamic driving mode also makes it hardly noticeable.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It's normal when the engine is loaded just before down shifting. RPM vs load is the cause just as it would be with a manual transmission in the same circumstance. Dual clutch has no torque converter like in a conventional automatic.. Shift points are likely programmed for economy. Dynamic (or sport) will usually avoid it, but burn more fuel.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's normal when the engine is loaded just before down shifting. RPM vs load is the cause just as it would be with a manual transmission in the same circumstance. Dual clutch has no torque converter like in a conventional automatic.. Shift points are likely programmed for economy. Dynamic (or sport) will usually avoid it, but burn more fuel.
I think what people are getting at is that it vibrates up to about 2500 rpms at any speed. Checked Multiple Q5' same thing.

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration?