Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Google Earth and Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Google Earth and Audi Connect

Hi All,
I picked up a CPO SQ5, 3/18 build over the holidays. As soon as I took delivery, all the nice virtual cockpit effects, specifically Google Earth, disappeared. Salesman said that the 6 month trial was over but he'll arrange for service to hook me up with the trial version. I was intending to jump onboard for a full Audi Connect package ($4xx for 18 mos.) when the trial was over. But I've read elsewhere that Google Earth will no longer be supported by Audi as of early '18 or older at the end of 2020. That puts the 18 month deal ending just about when Audi will ditch Google Earth.

My question: If Audi doesn't offer an alternate to Google, will my virtual cockpit be (much) less useful? If that's the case, should I not be so anxious to subscribe long term to Audi Connect?

Still getting to know my new Audi...Not up to speed on the MMI and its apps features yet.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2019, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

For many, Google Earth is eye candy and for some like me more distraction than useful (others do find it useful). However, the VC is fully functional, including regular maps, without Google Earth.

Google this site for more discussions on the value of the Audi Connect plan. For many, the features are not worth what they charge. I would recommend trying out the demo first and seeing what you'll get. And if you do like it, what you will miss once it goes away. No sense plopping down the money first.

congrats on your new SQ5. Good choice.

Last edited by spindlewood; 01-08-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:18 AM
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I subscribe so I can use the car's hotspot for my dashcam.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 277 Posts

I find looking at maps with satellite view (IE Google Earth) hard to see. Even on the PC I'll toggle it on if I need to see something, but then it's back to graphical maps. In the latest MMI update, the maps have changed from Google Earth (most likely to address the 2020 expiry). The only feature that is handy that you might want is the ability to send destinations to the car. You can also just add a contact to your phone, and when it connects to the car do a voice command of "navigate to contact John Smith" (which is free and requires no subscription).

In Canada we didn't get anything of value for the Audi Connect in the 2018 model year. All I can do is lock/unlock the car, see the oil and fuel level. The app allows some geo fence alerts as well as some other non-useful fluff items. I'd do what spindlewood suggested and test drive the trial. I usually find a lot of that stuff "sounds cool" but after a couple of months I just don't need/use it so I cannot validate paying the money to keep the subscription.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, Is your model a USA one? I was told by the dealership that the 2018 Canada ones do not have wifi Hot spot for data, rather only for wifi content streaming(DNLA, music..etc).

I would love to have wifi for my dash cam.

2018 Q5 (Canada)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, my SQ5 is a US model. I'm on Audi Connect now and have sample some data (google earth, weather, gas prices...) so I don't know if that's indicative of WIFI hot spot or not. In the States, the mobile carrier (T-Mobile) is pretty generous with data usage (almost unlimited) under a plan so I use my iPhone exclusively for data searches and am not sure if I'll continue with Audi Connect.

I've heard a few folks hot on dash cams. I'm relatively tech novice but why would having Wifi rather than bluetooth connection for the dash cam?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie101
why would having Wifi rather than bluetooth connection for the dash cam?
Wifi provides a cellular connection to the internet, while Bluetooth just connects to devices in the car. The dashcam can provide a live feed to any device on the net if wifi is available.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by iyc122
Hi, Is your model a USA one? I was told by the dealership that the 2018 Canada ones do not have wifi Hot spot for data, rather only for wifi content streaming(DNLA, music..etc).

I would love to have wifi for my dash cam.

2018 Q5 (Canada)
Dealership is correct. For reasons unknown, our 2018 models do not quality for the "infotainment" offering which gives you wifi. The 2019 Canadian ones do.....
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Wifi provides a cellular connection to the internet, while Bluetooth just connects to devices in the car. The dashcam can provide a live feed to any device on the net if wifi is available.
Thanks! This new topic has me thinks about a dash cam. I did a quick Google and found Audi offers a dash cam accessory but not in the states. It seams expensive and I don't know what the deal cost for retrofit is. I assume it would be plug-and-play (that would be nice).
Lots of folks seem to use Go-Pro or aftermarket cams. Found and interesting article on Go-Pro vs BlackVue but it suggest dash cams like the BlackVue are better choices for dash cams. Don't know how unbiased this article is. Any thoughts? Thanks,
https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blog...cam-heres-why/
Old 01-21-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

FYI...here's link to the Audi Dash Cam accessory I discuss in Post #9.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/546841/...ion/Here's

Quick Reply: Google Earth and Audi Connect