Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Hex and Torx set recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hex and Torx set recommendation

Hello all,

i have a 2018 SQ5 which is my first non-Japanese vehicle. So far, so good. Can anyone recommend a tool set for these German vehicles? I have all sorts of tools for Japanese vehicles, but am trying to figure out what socket sets are out there for these vehicles? I’ve found a Craftsman 42pc set for $25 at Sears and a Schwaben 46pc set for $48 at ECS tuning. Anybody recommend one of these two? I like to DIY my own maintenance so looking mainly for feedback on hex/torx sets since I have plenty of wrenches, oil change tools, jacks, etc....

Thanks!
Nick
Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by And1nick
Hello all,

i have a 2018 SQ5 which is my first non-Japanese vehicle. So far, so good. Can anyone recommend a tool set for these German vehicles? I have all sorts of tools for Japanese vehicles, but am trying to figure out what socket sets are out there for these vehicles? I’ve found a Craftsman 42pc set for $25 at Sears and a Schwaben 46pc set for $48 at ECS tuning. Anybody recommend one of these two? I like to DIY my own maintenance so looking mainly for feedback on hex/torx sets since I have plenty of wrenches, oil change tools, jacks, etc....

Thanks!
Nick
For the weekend warrior just get some Husky set at Home Depot - if they break, lifetime exchange with no receipt. I do have a Stanley socket set which I’ve never had an issue with (and I think the wrench is great). Not sure how many Torx bolts and screws are actually on the car. You may be better off buying the sockets and bits individually on an as-needed basis.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you need any specific brand for sockets, hex head sockets, or torx bits. I use a Craftsman socket set, a Craftsman hex head socket set, a generic impact socket set, and a generic set of torx bits.

I recently bought a Schwaben 6 piece triple square driver set off ECS to replace a bearing on my 2002 A4. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet Audi still uses triple square bolts on bearings and axles.

To do oil changes on my 2018 Q5, I bought a Schwaben T-handle drain plug tool and a Schwaben fluid extractor off ECS.

I have found all the Schwaben tools to be high quality.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steamboat
To do oil changes on my 2018 Q5, I bought a Schwaben T-handle drain plug tool and a Schwaben fluid extractor off ECS.

I have found all the Schwaben tools to be high quality.
Steamboat I'm curious to hear more about how you do the oil changes on your Q5.
Do you drain the oil from the bottom or use the fluid extractor?
I've never heard of using a fluid extractor to change the oil on a car but then again I've never changed the oil on an Audi.
I've always taken my Audi to the dealership to have the oil changed because I had a diesel and the AdBlue needed topping up. It was crazy expensive IMO.
I've always thought that you drain the oil from the oil pan by removing the drain plug in most cars so I'm trying to gather some information.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far.

I can help answer the oil extraction question since I just did it. I used a Mityvac 7201 extractor and placed the 1/4” tubing down the tube where the dipstick would normally go. In less than 5 min, I had ~ 6.8L of oil extracted and since the oil filter is right up top, took my 32mm socket and replaced that as well. This is my first time using this method and I can’t see myself ever going back to the drain plug method. It was so simple that I felt like I had to double check what I just did because I couldn’t believe I was done so quickly. I highly recommend it!
Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by And1nick
Thanks for the replies so far.

I can help answer the oil extraction question since I just did it. I used a Mityvac 7201 extractor and placed the 1/4” tubing down the tube where the dipstick would normally go. In less than 5 min, I had ~ 6.8L of oil extracted and since the oil filter is right up top, took my 32mm socket and replaced that as well. This is my first time using this method and I can’t see myself ever going back to the drain plug method. It was so simple that I felt like I had to double check what I just did because I couldn’t believe I was done so quickly. I highly recommend it!
Thanks for the reply And1nick.
It sounds like the extraction method is the easiest but I’m not sure that you can get all of the old oil out using that method.
To me it makes the most sense to drain the oil using the oil pan drain plug so that you can remove as much of the old oil as possible.
i wonder what the dealers do to change the oil?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been a topic on Audizine for years and to each their own... But there has been many reports of people testing this by taking the drain plug out and surprise nothing can out. I use it and it works great.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very interesting on the oil changes.... I’m semi handy and was able to change my brenvonoads on the charger so I think I could do the oil.... but I got the first 5 services free (well nothing is free but they threw it into the deal) but I wonder about the following:
what do you do with the oil? Another trip to find sonewhere that will take it?
Are the filers easily accessible?
lastly, isn’t there other things they do at service or is just a glorified overpriced oil change?
thanks.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat00
This is very interesting on the oil changes.... I’m semi handy and was able to change my brenvonoads on the charger so I think I could do the oil.... but I got the first 5 services free (well nothing is free but they threw it into the deal) but I wonder about the following:
what do you do with the oil? Another trip to find sonewhere that will take it?
Are the filers easily accessible?
lastly, isn’t there other things they do at service or is just a glorified overpriced oil change?
thanks.

by me any auto parts store will take it
Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

There are many triple square bolts on Audi vehicles. I know of steering wheel and seat rail bolts. They îmay look like torx bolts, they might be triple square. Look for VIM brand on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Hex and Torx set recommendation