Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

How do I set ALA to intervene as early as possible

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How do I set ALA to intervene as early as possible

I used OBDEleven to activate on Active Lane Assistance. How do I set it to intervene as early as possible? I found an app that says deactivate early or late and thought that was how you wanted the ALA to deactivate not activate so I have that set on late
Old 09-27-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

You want it to early. That will do a better job of centering the vehicle in the lane. If you set it to late, it won't correct until you get to/cross a line.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
You want it to early. That will do a better job of centering the vehicle in the lane. If you set it to late, it won't correct until you get to/cross a line.
Yes, agreed. I forget if this is one of the settings that has a 'medium', but that would be more balanced. In any case, I've tried late as a means to stop some of the tugging, but did not really prefer it in the end. If I am going to have ALA active, I may as well favor the middle of the lane instead of the side of the lane. Fortunately, ALA is somewhat able to customized, and can also easily be turned on or off with the stalk.

There was something to be said for my prior Lexus, which had no driver assistance features, and where the lane assist had one purpose, to keep you from veering into another lane. There was no effort to steer, or keep you centered. If you started to drift, the wheel would vibrate and maybe (I don't recall) tug you back a bit. The Audi is definitely a bit of a different feel, with the feel of the tugging while simply driving normally, and the ALA trying to keep you centered. YMMV, and like I said, it can be tailored somewhat to your preference. I recall that I made some further customization to the ALA with OBDEleven.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

In the MMI drivers assistance setting I have "early" selected. My question is in regard to the OBD one click app that says "deactivate" lane assist so I clicked "late" on that one...Am I suppose to click "early" on that one in the OBD app as well???
Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure about that one. I'd assume if you picked "deactivate" in the app, then it never comes on? Was there an activate and deactiveate app in OBDEleven to setup? Mine was shipped with ALA, so I change the settings through the MMI.

All I know is "late" corrects steering once you crossed the line (that big brother is checking out for you type thing), whereas "early" gets you "autonomous steering" (as best as it's offered on this platform). Keep in mind how well it works depends on how defined the lane markings are, and if the forward facing windshield camera is clear (and does not have full sunshine right into it).
Old 09-28-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the deactivate on the obd app is the amount of time for the ALA to disengage if you aren’t steering??
Old 09-28-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahhh.. I gotcha. Yes, it's probably the notification if you aren't touching the wheel. From my testing, changing that does nothing. Audi seems to have it set to around 12-14 second.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ahhh.. I gotcha. Yes, it's probably the notification if you aren't touching the wheel. From my testing, changing that does nothing. Audi seems to have it set to around 12-14 second.
12-14 seconds is exactly what I got as well
Old 09-28-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think it's adjustable on the B9 platform. There are settings you can tweak with OBDEleven, but they are just "red herrings" that do nothing.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think it's adjustable on the B9 platform. There are settings you can tweak with OBDEleven, but they are just "red herrings" that do nothing.
Agreed. Set to late, I still get a warning by 15s or so.