Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Key fob battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Key fob battery

We replaced the battery on my partner's key fob in November 2019 because there was a low battery warming in the virtual cockpit. In June 2020, after seven months, that key fob stopped working again so we replaced the battery and it worked again. It was strange that we didn't get another low battery warning. Today, my key fob also stopped working without a low battery warning. My first thought was that something caused the batteries to drain quickly. My second thought is that maybe the battery is fine, but there's interference with the signal.

Has anyone come across this problem?

Thanks!

Edit - both key fobs sit on a shelf, so I don't think a button is being accidentally pressed and held down for long periods of time like it would be if they were in a bag or pocket

Last edited by Slices_of_time; 07-13-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: To provide additional information
Old 07-14-2020, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I keep my keys in another room not in the garage probably 25 feet away. I believe they will be communicating with vehicle and causing the drain. I also lock car in garage. My 2018 q5 key fob lasted 2 years. We have a 2018 A4 1 1/2 years old on original key fob battery. It is worth a try. Someone more knowledgable may have a better answer
Old 07-18-2020, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Yesterday my FOB went a little haywire. It failed to start the car and then started setting off the car alarm as I sat in it trying to start it. I got out on the consecutive third alarm set off and locked it to stop the alarm. It then locked the car but couldn’t re-enter. The open button only caused the mirrors that had folded in (door locked mode) to act as if I was locking it (tho no chirp sound...just the mirror lights would lite up). Used the key in cup holder to get in and start it up. Seemed okay later on that day. On a few occasions in the weeks before, the car failed to recognize the FOB until I brought it out of my back pocket (in seated position).

No low FOB battery warning light has ever appeared. Now using the spare FOB without issue. Was a little unnerving experience...referring to the alarm repeatedly activating and then getting shut out. FOB seemed to have plenty of juice...The mirror lights would activate while in lock mode (using open button..see above) even while I stood 2O feet away.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don’t really have the above issues but one thing I’ve noticed is if the key is in my pocket and is sandwiched between my Fantom wallet...which has RFID/NFC shielding built into the carbon fibre...the key will slip in and out of detection by the vehicle. Doesn’t really affect opening or starting of vehicle but you will from time-to-time get an alert message on the virtual cockpit saying the key isn’t in the vehicle while driving. Shift the key above wallet in pocket and all is fine again.

Also even with extended range activated via OBDeleven this key fob has poor range compared to the previous generation style fob. You basically have to point it at your skull to get that extra extended range hack and even then it still isn’t as good as the older than dirt RS3 VW flip key. Lol.

Hopefully it isn’t too long before Audi activates Car Key functionality on iPhones so the key can be left at home permanently.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I called the dealership and the service guy told me that I kept my fob too close to the car at home. This wasn't a problem when we lived in an apartment building where the car was parked two floors below us. However, we moved to a summer house and kept the key by the front door, which was when this all started. Bought a Faraday box to store the keys, so I hope that solves the problem.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raaizin
I keep my keys in another room not in the garage probably 25 feet away. I believe they will be communicating with vehicle and causing the drain. I also lock car in garage. My 2018 q5 key fob lasted 2 years. We have a 2018 A4 1 1/2 years old on original key fob battery. It is worth a try. Someone more knowledgable may have a better answer
Does locking the car make a difference? The Audi service tech I spoke with asked if I kept the key unlocked at home with the key nearby. Does the car being unlocked make it try to communicate more with the key?
Old 08-20-2020, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Slices_of_time
Does locking the car make a difference? The Audi service tech I spoke with asked if I kept the key unlocked at home with the key nearby. Does the car being unlocked make it try to communicate more with the key?
yes - if the key is in proximity it’s always communicating with the car.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
yes - if the key is in proximity it’s always communicating with the car.
I leave car in the garage unlocked with key fob in center console.
Are you saying this will drain the battery more quickly?
Old 12-17-2020, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlsf2
I leave car in the garage unlocked with key fob in center console.
Are you saying this will drain the battery more quickly?
I'm almost certain that is true.

And I keep my second fob about 75' away too.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

I had my 2nd key about 6ft away hanging in cabinet for 4 years and it worked just fine all the time the few times my wife's used it - including when I traded it in a few weeks ago. I had to change my 1st key's battery twice over that period after getting a warning and I always had that key in my pants.
The following users liked this post:
partzguy (12-17-2020)