Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Possible 1st Time Audi Buyer W/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgolub55
I have the 17 Q5 with 3.0 and I selected that engine primarily because I don't like the lag of a turbo, which I had in my previous 2 cars. The 2.0 has plenty of power but the 3 is just smoother. And since I only have 5k on it, dealer is offering a trade for an '18 because I'm disappointed with the older electronics.
I also have a 2017 3.0T. Curious what aspects of the electronics do you find disappointing. Are they any better in the 2018?

Last edited by auntrout; 06-04-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not sure this is the right place for this discussion but the connection to Android is non-existent, there's no text messaging interface, the system response to commands is very slow and it takes MMI forever to start up. The voice command is clunky and arcane. And while I recognize that the Q platform I have is 10 years old, that's no excuse for not updating software.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure this is the right place for this discussion but the connection to Android is non-existent, there's no text messaging interface, the system response to commands is very slow and it takes MMI forever to start up. The voice command is clunky and arcane. And while I recognize that the Q platform I have is 10 years old, that's no excuse for not updating software.
Sounds like you probably should have just waited for the 2018. It great that your dealer is willing to work with you on trading in for a 2018.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Yesterday, Sunday, on the trek between Columbus and Cincinnati (100 miles) an impromptu Audi caravan materialized.

New Q7 (3.0T)
Last gen SQ5 (3.0T) - containing my wife and me
Last gen Q5 (2.0T showing on its rear)

As we passed 85MPH, we literally passed the Q7 with the Q5 drafting us; we moved back to the right lane as the Q5 passed both the Q7 and our SQ5. We noted the Audi caravan and also noted the Q5 had four adults in it (all men). We figured the Q5 was carrying perhaps 600 (or more) pounds of people. Within moments the tail lights of the Q5 were gone, leaving our two-Audi caravan putt-putting along at 85MPH.

We never caught up with the Q5 -- not that we tried. We never passed them, we never saw the HP the entire stretch, when we exited the Interstate for our N Cincinnati home.

We've had test drives in the old Q5 (the one that passed us) and thought they were fast, but not quick. We actually ordered a 3.0T prev generation and a prev generation SQ5 (2014). We ended up buying the SQ5 -- a 2018 SQ5 has been built already to our specs, but we have had the pleasure of testing a new Q5 several times. The addition of more torque, power and the DSG transmission certainly makes the new Q5 FEEL much stronger than the B8 gen full of four adults that passed us whilst we "cruised at 85PMH" along with the new Q7 3.0T we were pacing (or that was pacing us, depending on your perspective).

This is presented as a data point for your consideration.

The new Q5 feels more solid, is quieter and apparently must be lighter as it feels almost lithe while also feeling like a solid block of steel. The way the new Q5 takes bumps, pot holes and uneven pavement is a considerable improvement even over my wife's 2014 SQ5.

You say you don't drive the reckless speed of 90MPH. When you're on a long 100-mile straight stretch of Interstate such as is represented by I-71 connecting Cincinnati and Columbus, speeds well NORTH of 80MPH are de rigueur and 90MPH is about the point where you stop being passed by more cars than you pass.

Apparently, despite the lesser power of the last gen Q5, it has no problem with the perhaps 30-mile stretch of I-71 we "affectionately" call "Dark Territory" (one or two bars on the cell phone and the traffic function on the SQ5 ceases working) motoring at perhaps over the top speeds even though there are plenty of pot holes that I would think would slow not just the faint of heart.

When we test drove the new SQ5 we found a one or two mile stretch of the Interstate that had very few vehicles on it and we cranked it to 97MPH. Didn't have the ability to safely try this in an i4 Q5, but our sense was it had the juice to accomplish this -- but we couldn't do so safely. In any case, the stretches of roads (in moon crater central Ohio) where such lofty speeds are even possible, let alone prudent, are diminishing.

I would, however, strongly encourage a very long test drive perhaps with the aim of seeing for yourself if the 252 rating of the i4 is horsepower or ponypower.

Just, drive it like you live.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by auntrout
Sounds like you probably should have just waited for the 2018. It great that your dealer is willing to work with you on trading in for a 2018.
Yes, I really didn't do my due diligence on the the finer things, I just loved so many other things about the car. And the dealer just kept dropping the price. I went in saying I don't want white or black but the lot options that I wanted were all white or black. His last offer was prefaced with "what will it take to make you color blind:

But after reading the threads, and looking at the specs, I would need an SQ5 as I do not want a turbo engine and all the 18 Q5s are 2.0. And I'll have to check out the seats because I've seen some dissatisfaction posted here among some options. My preference is ventilated since I'm in So Cal, even though it's just a blower and not a cooler.

But if the 18 is a comfortable, agile, smooth and quiet, I'll probably pony up the difference. And I'll get a color other than white.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Yes, I really didn't do my due diligence on the the finer things, I just loved so many other things about the car. And the dealer just kept dropping the price. I went in saying I don't want white or black but the lot options that I wanted were all white or black. His last offer was prefaced with "what will it take to make you color blind:

But after reading the threads, and looking at the specs, I would need an SQ5 as I do not want a turbo engine and all the 18 Q5s are 2.0. And I'll have to check out the seats because I've seen some dissatisfaction posted here among some options. My preference is ventilated since I'm in So Cal, even though it's just a blower and not a cooler.

But if the 18 is a comfortable, agile, smooth and quiet, I'll probably pony up the difference. And I'll get a color other than white.
But an SQ5 is a turbo too.......

That's why I would suggest, don't go into it with any preconceived notion, dirve both the Q5 and SQ5, and decide which suits you best
Old 06-05-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So the SQ5 isn't supercharged like the current 3.0? That's disappointing. I've yet to drive a turbo that didn't lag and hesitate. But I will test and give it a chance.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey all, thanks again for the replies.

We had a sick kid last Sat so we went looking Sunday. Not so sure my wife likes the new body style over the previous generation but I like the engine upgrades.

Another concern I have is the small size of the Q5. We are currently in a trip and we had our Grand Cherokee packed full in he back! Not sure a Q5 could hold it. Minor issue since I have pickup we could use however.

We we can get into an 18 she is happy with for about 50k. Premium plus with cold weather package. The wheels on the 18's are ugly IMO, so we would need to upgrade.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When we did test drive on 2018 Q5, we ended up pushing it to 100mph and got to experience how quiet the cabin was even at that speed. SA and I were geeking out about Virtual cockpit, Android auto and other new features when wife was driving and hit 100. I was pleasantly​ surprised by the acceleration and handling in that entire stretch. We test drove the car 3 times. There wasn't a single moment when we felt like there wasnt enough juice. Another important thing to keep in mind is the higher HP of the new engine and lighter body weight of the new model which IMO brings 2018 2.0T very close to the out going 3.0T.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I haven't driven the Q5, but I'm assuming it drives pretty similarly to the A4. I have always owned cars with V6 or V8 engines. In fact, I traded a '15 S5 for my '17 A4. I don't find the car ever lacks power or torque and it is a blast to drive. And like Rajesh said, the car is very deceptive on the highway. 80 or 90mph happens really quickly, and it is so quiet you won't even notice.