Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Prospective owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Prospective owner questions

Hi all. I have a BMW M235 that is going to be replaced by an SUV and I thought that would be GLC, but MB has silly option combinations so I'm looking an SQ5.

I'm looking at the air suspension as this will do light towing and the auto level and consistent suspension action seemed handy. The SQ5 seems to have the right combination of compliant and controlled in Comfort, and firmer in Sport, is that about correct?

Is there a factory tow hitch option? Does the vehicle have sway control?

How would you rate the headlights and rain sense wipers?

I don't plan on getting the Virtual cockpit. Am I really giving up anything compared to other modern vehicles with the base display?

How comfortable are the upgraded seats? My BMW seats are comfortable but I wish they weren't so hard. The GLC seats are fantastic.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by augerpro
Hi all. I have a BMW M235 that is going to be replaced by an SUV and I thought that would be GLC, but MB has silly option combinations so I'm looking an SQ5.

I'm looking at the air suspension as this will do light towing and the auto level and consistent suspension action seemed handy. The SQ5 seems to have the right combination of compliant and controlled in Comfort, and firmer in Sport, is that about correct?

Is there a factory tow hitch option? Does the vehicle have sway control?

How would you rate the headlights and rain sense wipers?

I don't plan on getting the Virtual cockpit. Am I really giving up anything compared to other modern vehicles with the base display?

How comfortable are the upgraded seats? My BMW seats are comfortable but I wish they weren't so hard. The GLC seats are fantastic.
There is a Audi tow hitch which gets installed at the Port, so basically factory. The air suspension is fantastic, test drive one, you won't look back.

When a trailer is connected MMI recognizes it and will self level the car. I believe there is sway control, but I'm not 100%. Mine does not have the hitch installed although I almost bought one that did.

Rain sensing wipers work well the few times I've used them. It doesn't rain much where I live making it harder to give you a better idea. Headlights work well in the rain, I didn't have any issues seeing the road and glare was minimal.

Virtual cockpit is the best instrument cluster I've encountered. I love the ability to change what you see, have maps be primary, vehicle info etc. Let's not forget how the gauges can shrink too making the experience much better. If you get a prestige there's a HUD so you can feel at ease in that regard too.

​​​​​​​My SQ5 seats were a little firmer at first, but now they're supportive and very comfortable. Keep in mind the sport seats won't be Lexus soft, yet I really enjoy them. You also have a leg extension for the taller people here.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Virtual cockpit is a must have option. If you are spending this much money on a SQ5 may as well spend a tiny bit more and get one of the best digital instrument clusters on the market right now.

Air suspension is probably one of my favorite parts about the car. It can be comfortable and easy-going or aggressive and exciting at the touch of a button. I won't say it's a must have option, but I find myself really enjoying the ability to have split personalities.

Headlights are great no complaints so far. I haven't used the rain sense wipers yet.

Upon initial use you may find the seats on the thin side but that doesn't mean they are uncomfortable. I drove in them for a 4.5 hour road trip and found them to be comfortable and supportive. They aren't Lexus sofa seats though.

I didn't get the towing package and I don't know the towing capabilities of this car as I have another vehicle used strictly for hauling/towing.

I tested a GLC43 before getting my SQ5. It definitely had a stout motor but I wasn't feeling some of the exterior details. The dotted grill, the melted looking exhaust tips, and the wheels weren't doing anything for me. Overall it just had a half-baked AMG theme going on which is something that would irritate me over time. It's one reason why I didn't wait for the X3 M40i because the "fake" M models appear as just that.. fake (no offense). But I don't have that feeling with Audi S cars. I think Audi does a better job delineating it's S models without looking compromised or "half-baked".

Just my opinion of course.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I echo the other replies. I have the factory hitch installed and there is an option to enable towing in MMI, adjust the air suspension, and at least with Prestige there is a tow specific backup camera mode. If you can afford it, kit this car out to the max and you won't regret it.

On a side note I also have an M235i xDrive and I love it. The SQ5 has a touch more turbo lag but the power is there and the transmission is just as good. The ride comfort from adaptive suspension in the two are similar and excellent but I'll give the edge to SQ5 for comfort even with 21" wheels.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's in your price range, I'd really look into the Porsche Macan S, GTS or Turbo.

It's the best of what the SQ5 can do... With the suspension, transmission (well, PDK) and engine of a Porsche.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2018 SQ5. But the Macan is a driving experience I LOVE
Old 09-18-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the great info! Really helps!

So a little background on why I don't want the Virtual Cockpit. Basically this vehicle is just to replace an old Dodge Dakota since no mid-size truck currently ticks all my boxes. So I decided on an enjoyable SUV and utility trailer. My goal is to pay this off as soon as possible and get back to a fun car. (like a TTRS where I would get the VC!) So this is really a "tool" and I want to draw the line somewhere on cost. I had the GLC at about $54-56k and wanted to stop around there. You can only get air suspension in the US on the SQ5 so I'm grudgingly accepting the $60k that brings it to.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
On a side note I also have an M235i xDrive and I love it. The SQ5 has a touch more turbo lag but the power is there and the transmission is just as good. The ride comfort from adaptive suspension in the two are similar and excellent but I'll give the edge to SQ5 for comfort even with 21" wheels.
So you think the ride quality is that close? In this vehicle I was really hoping for something softer than my M235. OTOH I like body motions to be kept in check, so I thought air suspension on the GLC might be best of both worlds, but I get some conflicting info on that part.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by augerpro
So you think the ride quality is that close? In this vehicle I was really hoping for something softer than my M235. OTOH I like body motions to be kept in check, so I thought air suspension on the GLC might be best of both worlds, but I get some conflicting info on that part.
I have the 21” wheels with the air suspension and the ride is pretty smooth in Comfort mode. It’s not quite as smooth as my Porsche Macan S with air suspension, but it had 20” wheels. You might consider getting the 20” wheels to smooth out the ride a bit with a little more sidewall on the tires. The tire selection for the 20” is much better too. You can find all/seasons, winter, and summer tires for less than the 21” tires. The 21” size does not have all/seasons available at this time.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came from an BMW X3. Lights are great. I have the leds. Regular seats are more comfortable than BMW sport seats. I don't use the display much.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I just test drove the SQ5 with air suspension. I didn't get out on the highway and do some panic maneuvers to get an idea of handling but around town it sure rode nice. Tried taking some dips too fast and just when I expected a jolt it just sucked it up and with little body rocking. Impressive. The GLC test drive is a little vague now but I feel like it was mushier. The seats are not as comfy as the GLC though. But they are softer than my M235 and if they are anything like that they soften quite a bit as they break in. This had the 20" wheels and that is definitely what I would stay with for better selection.