Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rain sensing windshield wiper system - Sensitivity issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rain sensing windshield wiper system - Sensitivity issue

I've owned my 2018 Q5 for a little over 4 months now. I've had very few issues with the vehicle... other than rear sliding seats that were 'seized' (wouldn't slide) right from the factory and the driver-side wiper blade making annoying bump contact with the A pillar on most sweeps. Both items were looked after quickly by the dealer.

Compared to my previous cars I'm noticing the sensitivity of the rain sensing wipers in my Q5 isn't high enough (even at the highest setting), particularly when driving in a light rain AND with the vehicle moving at low speeds or is stopped. The owner's manual is a little misleading in describing rain sensing mode, per: "The windshield wipers switch on once the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 2 mph (4 km/h) and it is raining. The higher the sensitivity of the rain sensor that is set (switch "A" to the right), the earlier the windshield wipers react to moisture on the windshield. You can deactivate the rain sensor mode in the Infotainment system, which switches the intermittent mode on".
Audi's description of the rain sensing operation is not quite accurate, as the rain sensing wipers will operate at speeds below 2 mph (4 km/h) and will in fact operate with the vehicle at a standstill.. albeit with extremely infrequent sweeps, even with the switch set to maximum sensitivity.
Are there any others here seeing this insufficient rain sense sensitivity issue at low speeds?
Also.. does anyone know whether the sensitivity range of the system can be tweaked by a coding change using OBDeleven or VCDS?

/Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 11-10-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't have a current Q5, but my old Q5 along with my current A6 and Q7 have a switch to adjust the sensitivity of the wipers on the top of the wiper stalk. I'd be surprised if that has changed.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ Thanks.. but please read my opening post again. I mention the (wiper stalk-mounted) sensitivity switch in a couple of places within my text.

Last edited by rbreeze; 11-10-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good write up. I have generally found the rain sensitive wiper feature to be inconsistent in all my cars, including my new sq5. I have a 2011 Mercedes e550 that has just two sensitivity settings and that too is inconsistent, sometimes swipes too much, sometimes it seems to be asleep. I didn’t realize that I could switch from rain sensitive to intermittent in the settings, I might check that out. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I agree they are less sensitive than I would like. I generally have them set to full gas. If there is steady rain they seem to work quite well for me though but the drizzly stuff is no good. If you're frustrated by the auto sensing, it is nice that they give the option to switch the setting to standard intermittent with manual adjustment. BMW doesn't do that and their auto wiper tech is just as sucky.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I own and drive an S5 and the rain sensor on that one isn't consistent and I am experiencing the same issue you described. Here in the Pacific Northwest, rain is sometimes so fine that the rain sensor could not detect it consistently. When the rain drops increase in size and rate then it gets the job done better.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with OP (with my Q7). Also in the Pacific Northwest, and over the last few days I have been quietly cursing at the intermittent setting. I wish the intermittent setting was purely 'time based' (old fashioned car), and not only by 'how much water it sensed'.

I am curious about Transfer's comment. In my 2011 A4 and 2015 Q7 I only have the 'auto sensing' (with three or four different sensitivities) there is no "standard intermittent".
Old 11-11-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I agree with OP (with my Q7). Also in the Pacific Northwest, and over the last few days I have been quietly cursing at the intermittent setting. I wish the intermittent setting was purely 'time based' (old fashioned car), and not only by 'how much water it sensed'.

I am curious about Transfer's comment. In my 2011 A4 and 2015 Q7 I only have the 'auto sensing' (with three or four different sensitivities) there is no "standard intermittent".
I see the OP is in Canada, so their model might be different than ours in the US.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I see the OP is in Canada, so their model might be different than ours in the US.
^ Heisnuts, I don't believe rain sensing control - and the option to deactivate rain sensor mode in the Infotainment system and activate conventional intermittent mode - would be any different on a Canadian vehicle versus a U.S. vehicle. The 2018 Q5 North American owner's manual doesn't differentiate on this item as far as model location is concerned.
It's certainly nice to be able to revert back to conventional intermittent mode in those weather/operating conditions where rain sense mode doesn't behave well.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did the dealer do about the wiper hitting the pillar? I noticed that the first time my wipers came on, I disabled the rain sense feature and that mostly solved it. Every now and then it still hits the pillar though.

Quick Reply: Rain sensing windshield wiper system - Sensitivity issue