Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rain sensing windshield wiper system - Sensitivity issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ManlyPowers
What did the dealer do about the wiper hitting the pillar? I noticed that the first time my wipers came on, I disabled the rain sense feature and that mostly solved it. Every now and then it still hits the pillar though.
^ Don't know how it was carried out exactly (didn't see them doing it), but the Service coordinator said they made a slight adjustment to the driver's side wiper position by adjusting a positioning nut somewhere in the mechanism. (They did NOT have to remove the wiper arm and re-position it on the drive spline, as was the case on many/most vehicles in the past). I made no appointment and waited only 15 minutes to get my car back. Very pleased now with the mechanical operation of the wipers - no more annoying wiper-to-A pillar bump sounds, and the slightly altered wiper sweep zone looks pretty perfect to me.

I disabled the rain sense feature yesterday (enabled "intermittent" wipers) and the wiper system worked very well in the light-to-medium intensity rainfall that I was experiencing at the time. Based on everything I've seen I will probably only enable the rain sense feature for when I'm driving on the highway/freeway.

Last edited by rbreeze; 11-13-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I am curious about Transfer's comment. In my 2011 A4 and 2015 Q7 I only have the 'auto sensing' (with three or four different sensitivities) there is no "standard intermittent".
If you disable the auto sensing wipers in the MMI settings, it defaults to manually adjustable intermittent.