Recall for 2022 Audi Q5 (Recent news)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 153 Likes on 108 Posts

Details and photos of the inspection process:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V753-7687.pdf
The following 5 users liked this post by jim2560:
Chasboland (10-25-2022), epikdj (10-25-2022), gary135r (10-25-2022), Harplayr (10-25-2022), SpecialK_ID (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2560
Details and photos of the inspection process:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V753-7687.pdf
Thanks for posting that. Looks like it’s pretty black and white as far as some particles or none. I’ve got an appt scheduled for Nov 2nd. Only 800 miles on the car so far. Hopefully I’m not too early in mileage for a good evaluation, but I see no limits on that.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecialK_ID
Our service advisor said the same thing... they have found no cars with the issue so far..
Which would make it even worse if you find out yours is one of few. A replaced engine in other forums say that the engine isn't completely new and it would devalue the vehicle. Would it end up on Carfax or such that your vehicle has a replaced engine? Because under warranty it's not libel to getting a new vehicle according to Audi. Didn't the oil burning problem have to end up in a class action suit? Anybody think we might be heading there? Where is SC? Maybe he could clarify some things.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bxr1200
Thanks for posting that. Looks like it’s pretty black and white as far as some particles or none. I’ve got an appt scheduled for Nov 2nd. Only 800 miles on the car so far. Hopefully I’m not too early in mileage for a good evaluation, but I see no limits on that.
And the owners manual say take it easy on engine until 1,000 miles. Catch 22. That maintenance brief is well written, ( former jet mechanic here) but is says to ground the vehicle until fixed. Makes sense, but is says nothing about Audi giving a loaner to the vehicle owner until fixed. Lots of open questions.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 153 Likes on 108 Posts

From the same recall filings, pretty low expected % affected---1.5%:

Vehicle 2 : 2021-2023 AUDI Q5 Vehicle Type : Body Style : Power Train : NR
Descriptive Information : The recall population was determined by engine and vehicle manufacturing records. The recalled vehicles differ from vehicles that were not included in the recall because of deviations in connecting rod symmetry and cracking quality that may lead to contamination of the connecting rod bearings with particles.

Estimated percentage of involved with defect: 1.5%
Q5: count 42,689
Production Dates : JUL 29, 2021 - OCT 11, 2022
Old 10-25-2022, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My engine failed

Bought a 2022 Q5 s line less than 2 months ago. Last Friday recall popped up on MMI (Which has its own issues with wireless CarPlay) and when I called dealership about it they mentioned I should being by for a visual inspection on the engine rod. Took by the same day and was told it would take 1 hour. 1 hour late my car is dead...the engine literally seized up as they were pulling into service bay....WTH! was told it will take 3 weeks to get the engine then another week or so to install. When I inquired about Audi buying it back the GM at the dealership said he would check for trade in assistance...not sure what that means...but the MMI systems also has to be replaced. So the 2 major components will have been replaced before the first 2,500 miles...no thank you! I am so disappointed because I really love the car but not going to drive a car that's had these issues already. I am sure all this work will be on Carfax as to arise suspicion when I go to resale. The GM said it would "probably" not affect its value...not comforting. I am not contacting an attorney to see how I can get Audi to buy back under my states lemon law.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tfried
Bought a 2022 Q5 s line less than 2 months ago. Last Friday recall popped up on MMI (Which has its own issues with wireless CarPlay) and when I called dealership about it they mentioned I should being by for a visual inspection on the engine rod. Took by the same day and was told it would take 1 hour. 1 hour late my car is dead...the engine literally seized up as they were pulling into service bay....WTH! was told it will take 3 weeks to get the engine then another week or so to install. When I inquired about Audi buying it back the GM at the dealership said he would check for trade in assistance...not sure what that means...but the MMI systems also has to be replaced. So the 2 major components will have been replaced before the first 2,500 miles...no thank you! I am so disappointed because I really love the car but not going to drive a car that's had these issues already. I am sure all this work will be on Carfax as to arise suspicion when I go to resale. The GM said it would "probably" not affect its value...not comforting. I am not contacting an attorney to see how I can get Audi to buy back under my states lemon law.
Sadly I think, as I stated earlier, that Audi mentions that (paraphrasing here) since all these vehicles are under warranty, they are not included in a vehicle exchange. Like I also mentioned earlier, this could enter class the action lawsuit arena like the oil burning issue. Are they going to give you a replacement vehicle while your Q5 is grounded? How proficient are your local mechanics in engine changes? It would lead from a great experience with a new vehicle to possibly your worse nightmare. Karma has bit me in the butt, at least initially. I was bragging about never having major issues with my VW/Audi's. I hope that wasn't my Karma moment, (yes I'm superstitious).

Last edited by gary135r; 10-25-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 341 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by gary135r
Sadly I think, as I stated earlier, that Audi mentions that (paraphrasing here) since all these vehicles are under warranty, they are not included in a vehicle exchange. Like I also mentioned earlier, this could enter class the action lawsuit arena like the oil burning issue. Are they going to give you a replacement vehicle while your Q5 is grounded? How proficient are your local mechanics in engine changes? It would lead from a great experience with a new vehicle to possibly your worse nightmare. Karma has bit me in the butt, at least initially. I was bragging about never having major issues with my VW/Audi's. I hope that wasn't my Karma moment, (yes I'm superstitious).
The wording the in the recall is "reimbursement". In other recalls, if an owner has already had a failure and paid for repairs, the recall details the conditions for reimbursement of the costs. In this case, all recalled vehicles are under warranty, so no owner would have already paid for a new engine, so no reimbursements. I don't think the wording in this recall eliminates the potential for things like buy-backs or use of a lemon law. However, it might, depending on interpretation, eliminate the possibility of reimbursement for reduced resale value due to the major repairs.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sandroad
The wording the in the recall is "reimbursement". In other recalls, if an owner has already had a failure and paid for repairs, the recall details the conditions for reimbursement of the costs. In this case, all recalled vehicles are under warranty, so no owner would have already paid for a new engine, so no reimbursements. I don't think the wording in this recall eliminates the potential for things like buy-backs or use of a lemon law. However, it might, depending on interpretation, eliminate the possibility of reimbursement for reduced resale value due to the major repairs.
Good points all. A lot of open questions here, but I know there's relatively few people here directly affected. Still wondering if SCarGuy will chime in with some in house thoughts.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 2023 Q5 with 300 miles on it. This inspection was completed today in about an hour and a half.

My thoughts FWIW on tfried's engine failure post within this thread: I have observed some years ago that this will likely post to Carfax - and devaluation can occur, but I did see a case where a 911 had an engine replaced and in that case the dealer the car was traded to did not reduce his ACV appraisal......sort of hit or miss depending on the market at that time?

Lemon laws vary from state to state and they generally require multiple repeats, and resolution through BBB lemon law takes a lot of time.........as catastrophic as this situation is (and I think it is beyond dissapointing for any Audi owner to experience this)......perhaps contact Audi Customer relations and get them involved now.....ask for trade assistance, free rental car, and free extended warranty?

Quick Reply: Recall for 2022 Audi Q5 (Recent news)