Old 11-08-2022, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

SQ5 looks great. You'll be happy.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasboland
So are we to expect them to take the engine apart to inspect this? Calling my dealer tomorrow.
Any info on this I just found out today and I do not want my engine taken apart
Old 11-23-2022, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No worries, they remove the oil filter and inspect it for any foreign material i.e metal if nothing found they install a new one followed by a road test comprised of higher RPM accelerations.
After which they remove filter and examine the filter similarly to the original inspection. Mine was completed within a couple hours without issue. Phew….
Old 11-25-2022, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxr1200
spoke too soon. The recall check is bogus. I’m sitting a parking lot at 1300 miles . My engine sounds like a box of rocks and has a loping idle. Needless to say I’m pretty pissed.
This and Bxr’s subsequent recall check posts do not inspire confidence in this process. Sounds like a waste of time getting the vehicle checked. Not good.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2022q5
This and Bxr’s subsequent recall check posts do not inspire confidence in this process. Sounds like a waste of time getting the vehicle checked. Not good.
I don’t know that it’s a waste of time. Obviously, I’ve thought about this quite a bit. Here’s another consideration. Modern engines are broken in when you receive them, but we followed the guidelines of the manual and went easy on it for the first 1000. Maybe this period is really for other items downstream of the engine in the drivetrain, but still we followed that. In fact I’m pretty sure as it’s my wife’s car, she went on easy on it right up to the point where I drove it in for the recall. Maybe if we’d pushed it some, pre recall inspection, they’d have detected some shavings. in the recall inspection. Post inspection, I pushed the car. 2 days later….failure. That being said, I’d have been in the same position if they did find something just minus the breakdown. Hopefully, I’m the exception and not the norm as I just don’t hear of many others having a failure of the engine or the inspection. Granted these forums represent a very very small number owners, I Don’t see it on here or the other forum and dealer hadn’t had any. They’re a pretty high volume dealer too. It would be interesting to see some numbers from Audi as to how many failures there’s really been a few months from now. Never happen though.

Next time I’m at the dealer, I’ll have to inquire with my service guy if they’ve had others since.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bxr1200:
gary135r (11-28-2022), Harplayr (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxr1200
I don’t know that it’s a waste of time. Obviously, I’ve thought about this quite a bit. Here’s another consideration. Modern engines are broken in when you receive them, but we followed the guidelines of the manual and went easy on it for the first 1000. Maybe this period is really for other items downstream of the engine in the drivetrain, but still we followed that. In fact I’m pretty sure as it’s my wife’s car, she went on easy on it right up to the point where I drove it in for the recall. Maybe if we’d pushed it some, pre recall inspection, they’d have detected some shavings. in the recall inspection. Post inspection, I pushed the car. 2 days later….failure. That being said, I’d have been in the same position if they did find something just minus the breakdown. Hopefully, I’m the exception and not the norm as I just don’t hear of many others having a failure of the engine or the inspection. Granted these forums represent a very very small number owners, I Don’t see it on here or the other forum and dealer hadn’t had any. They’re a pretty high volume dealer too. It would be interesting to see some numbers from Audi as to how many failures there’s really been a few months from now. Never happen though.

Next time I’m at the dealer, I’ll have to inquire with my service guy if they’ve had others since.
You are correct. Modern engines do really not need any break in period. The rings seat in the first minute of operation on the manufacturing test stand. What the break in period is for is the transmission, differential etc gears which do not get run much if at all at the factory.

I really don't understand what the failure is. A rod usually has no real oil passages. The crank end bearings get oiled from holes in the crank journals. The wrist pin bearings get oiled by passages through the oil ring groove in most all modern engines. My best guess is the rods are made from powdered metal and either they screwed up the sintering or cracking process where they crack the rod journal parting line to separate the rod cap.

Since the recall covers several years it would seem whatever they have been screwing up has been going on for a long time. If I owned one of these cars I'd be really worried that the engine will grenade itself somewhere down the road and Audi will disavow themselves of any responsibility if the warranty has expired. Obviously, from your experience, the "inspection" process doesn't cover all failures.
The following users liked this post:
Greg2022q5 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=ronsc1985;25766835n <snip> If I owned one of these cars I'd be really worried that the engine will grenade itself somewhere down the road and Audi will disavow themselves of any responsibility if the warranty has expired. Obviously, from your experience, the "inspection" process doesn't cover all failures.[/QUOTE]

yup. This has class action written all over it.
The following users liked this post:
gary135r (11-28-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
You are correct. Modern engines do really not need any break in period. The rings seat in the first minute of operation on the manufacturing test stand. What the break in period is for is the transmission, differential etc gears which do not get run much if at all at the factory.

I really don't understand what the failure is. A rod usually has no real oil passages. The crank end bearings get oiled from holes in the crank journals. The wrist pin bearings get oiled by passages through the oil ring groove in most all modern engines. My best guess is the rods are made from powdered metal and either they screwed up the sintering or cracking process where they crack the rod journal parting line to separate the rod cap.

Since the recall covers several years it would seem whatever they have been screwing up has been going on for a long time. If I owned one of these cars I'd be really worried that the engine will grenade itself somewhere down the road and Audi will disavow themselves of any responsibility if the warranty has expired. Obviously, from your experience, the "inspection" process doesn't cover all failures.
My take is that the rods weren't machined correctly for some reason. Maybe the honing tools were worn or set incorrectly or the rods machined incorrectly. Ron, as you probably know, a number Z06 ls7 motors had rods with the incorrect side clearance resulting in increased wear preceded with an increase of titanium particles in the oil. A friend of mine went through this although I didn't have any issues with my ls7. It also could be incorrect machining of the rod journals on the crank or a myriad of other things.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
My take is that the rods weren't machined correctly for some reason. Maybe the honing tools were worn or set incorrectly or the rods machined incorrectly. Ron, as you probably know, a number Z06 ls7 motors had rods with the incorrect side clearance resulting in increased wear preceded with an increase of titanium particles in the oil. A friend of mine went through this although I didn't have any issues with my ls7. It also could be incorrect machining of the rod journals on the crank or a myriad of other things.
The reason I mentioned oiling is that the description alluded to clogging oil passages. Since there are no oil passages in the rods themselves except for the holes from the oil scrapper ring land it seems to me the description of the problems was incoherent. If you really wipe out the bearings, cutting open the oil filter results in something looking like you just hit the mother lode. The copper underlayment in the bearings looks like gold dust when it flakes off. Maybe this is what they are talking about clogging the oil passages. The real puzzle is how whatever the problem was went on over several years. Maybe they make a couple of years supply of rods and stockpile them.

Last edited by ronsc1985; 11-25-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

So how does Audi perform a high rpm road test on city streets? Haha

Quick Reply: Recall for 2022 Audi Q5 (Recent news)