Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Should I ditch my SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 212 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by B9_SQ5
I spent today blindly test driving cars. Nothing will ever compare to German engineering and performance in my eyes and truthfully mean that. It's been a good 5 years of ownership for me, to break it down for anyone interested, sticker on my car was 67k in 2018. I bought it July 2019 for 43k with 30k miles and I have had 5 pretty solid years. I love this car, and I really mean that. I don't make financial decisions lightly, and it quite honestly took me about 3 years of research to decide on the SQ5. I've never once complained about the high cost of maintenance as I knew it came with the territory. I have been overly frustrated with my local Audi dealer refusing to fix some issues under warranty and just being dismissive in general, but overall a positive experience. Depreciation sucks, as there was a time during the pandemic that Carvana and others were offering to buy my car for close to what I paid. Today, I found most trade in values to be in the 16-18k range.

Cars looked at / test driven today- and yes, I know these are all over the place....
2023 4 Runner SR5 - not for me, felt a lot like my 2007 Tundra that I sold when I bought the Audi. I am sure it's super reliable, but very boring.
2024 Acura RDX - SH-AWD - a touch bigger than my Audi, not quite as quick, but didn't feel anemic with acceleration. I might consider this as a valid more reliable option if i can find an a-spec advanced package in my price range.
20222 Acura MDX SH-AWD - I did not drive this one, but looked nice inside and felt decently luxurious.
2023 Infiniti QX60 Luxe - I drove this one, no real complaints other than just plain boring. Nothing wrong, but no spirit at all. Shifts smooth, drives decent, feels cheap inside. Over all, boring.
2024 Mustang Mach-E - drove great and plenty of acceleration - a bit small for my 6'4 frame. I needed a touch more leg room to be fully comfortable in the drivers seat.
2024 Lyriq - Tons of good deals on leasehackr.com, my local dealer could not compete. Visited them today and they would not let me drive since we were so far off on numbers. However, i think it was the best looking and most comfortable interior i saw today.

I have never leased a vehicle, and have been raised to think that lease is not a good idea (no offense to anyone leasing) However, I am intrigued but not sold on an EV for performance reasons. I may consider a short EV lease deal just to get an idea of what ownership is really like. The performance is there, but outside of Lyriq, nothing comes close to the Sq5 in luxury.
Personally I'd stay away from electric for a couple more years. We will see some big developments in battery technology that will enhance range quite a bit making current EV's decline in value significantly.
Test drive an MDX type S. Acura redesigned it and you may be able to get a good deal on the current model. Genesis while hated by many might be worth a look. GV80 seems like a nice car and roomy.
To answer your original question, get rid of your current car. It's a money pit and most likely you are just getting started on putting money into it. I likewise really love my 21 SQ5-first car I really see keeping more than a few years and when my lease is up in 2 months I'm buying it.

Old 06-29-2024, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I too have an Sq5 2018 with about 80K.. I have had nearly zero issues with it over the past 4 years but am also thinking of getting rid of it and moving on... I look forward to hearing your final decision.
Old 06-29-2024, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am struggling because I don't make car decisions quickly. While it's no where in the class of the Audi, I found a solid deal on a 2020 RDX Advanced. Solid enough that I could probably drive it for a year two to figure out what I really want and not get hurt too badly when it's time to sell. I am still looking at other options, but it is top choice for now.

Old 06-29-2024, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 189 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
As for cost of keeping vs new, it's at least $4000 per year more in depreciation for new vs repairs for keeping. The tipping point for me would be the hassle of the repairs plus if the niggles you describe electrically are driving you nuts.
I sort of go through this same math exercise about every 5 years when trying to decide if I keep my existing car a little longer of finally bite the bullet and trade it in for something new again. I try to take the long view though and not focus on just the first year which is where keeping the old car has the biggest advantage financially. That's when the new car is going to depreciate the most and the used car probably needs the least amount of maintenance to keep going.

My way of looking at it - I know that eventually I will need to replace my current car and that usually means 3 more years max with it. So among other things, I look at how much less trade value I will get out of it during that time, and add in the possibility of some very expensive out of warranty repairs. Then I compare that to the depreciation of the potential new car over the same time period. I feel that's a fairer comparison, and one that brings the upgrade costs way down.

Of course you are almost never going to end up with a result telling you upgrading to a new car is cheaper than keeping the old one, but there has to be some utility value (economic term) in the joy of driving a newer car. I know I always look forward to the new tech and generally better performance of each successive car I buy. That value though is entirely subjective, so every individual will look at it differently.

TLDR; I usually find that right around the 5 or 6 year time frame it just makes sense to think about trading into something new. Assuming that is that there is something out there that I'm actually interested in owning.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by B9_SQ5
I am struggling because I don't make car decisions quickly. While it's no where in the class of the Audi, I found a solid deal on a 2020 RDX Advanced. Solid enough that I could probably drive it for a year two to figure out what I really want and not get hurt too badly when it's time to sell. I am still looking at other options, but it is top choice for now.
I'm in a 2021 SQ5 right now that I bought used last summer when my 2018 S5SB bit the dust. I really like the car a lot other than a few minor complaints about the interior storage layout. But I always viewed it as a temporary solution, I generally buy new and hold for a while, but felt like the B9 platform was getting long in the tooth and after 6 years in one didn't really want to fully commit to at least 5 more. I knew that BMW was coming out with their next gen X3 this year and that the B10 from Audi was right behind that.

Well after finally seeing what BMW has revealed, I can say that I am genuinely underwhelmed, even disappointed. Maybe it looks better in person, but it's completely uninspired looking on video. Now I'm nervous as the what Audi is going to give us. I'm already starting to wonder if I should consider buying a light used X5 as an alternative.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 296 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I usually find that right around the 5 or 6 year time frame it just makes sense to think about trading into something new.
Absolutely realise every situation is different but I will state for the Avant I bought new in 2008, that through years 6-16 of ownership maintenance has not cost me anywhere near the depreciation that would have occurred in buying two new Audi's over the equivalent of years 6-16. My Avant is used as a daily driver and the 6MT is why I keep ownership.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
Absolutely realise every situation is different but I will state for the Avant I bought new in 2008, that through years 6-16 of ownership maintenance has not cost me anywhere near the depreciation that would have occurred in buying two new Audi's over the equivalent of years 6-16. My Avant is used as a daily driver and the 6MT is why I keep ownership.
It's always a crap shoot. I've owned 6 Audi's over the last 30 years not including my current one. The first one had some issues with the upper control arms outside of warranty that wasn't that expensive of a problem. The next 4 never had any issues and all I did was add gas, oil, tires and brakes. I think 3 of those I put on at least 120K miles before trading them in. It was the last one where my luck finally ran out on me. While I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to get more than 85k miles out of that one, I balance that out with all the trouble free years leading up to that and basically call it a wash.

Last edited by njspeedfreak; 06-30-2024 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2024, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
It's always a crap shoot. I've owned 6 Audi's over the last 30 years not including my current one. The first one had some issues with the upper control arms outside of warranty that wasn't that expensive of a problem. The next 4 never had any issues and all I did was add gas, oil, tires and brakes. I think 3 of those I put on at least 120K miles before trading them in. It was the last one where my luck finally ran out on me. While I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to get more than 85k miles out of that one, I balance that out with all the trouble free years leading up to that and basically call it a wash.
If I was a betting man, I'd say those pre-diesel gate were made a lot better than those post.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get out while you can

I would run as quick as possible. Audi quality has fallen off the cliff. My car has 60k miles (S5 so same engine) and so far had to replace engine due to rocker arms PCV failure and now on brand new engine with only 2k miles already have coolant leak. It’s still in shop after a week. As soon as I get it back getting rid of it and buying an Acura or Lexus. Last German car I ever buy.
Old 07-03-2024, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by atlanta A6
Personally I'd stay away from electric for a couple more years. We will see some big developments in battery technology that will enhance range quite a bit making current EV's decline in value significantly.
Well, maybe, but maybe not. Back in 2017, we bought our EV and folk were of that same opinion, word-for-word; one was stupid to buy, because in three years EV tech will have taken a quantum leap and one would wish he could have something else. We've enjoyed seven years of EV greatness and there's still nothing better for the same money. Tesla is the only one which has gotten less expensive, but not yet that much better. All the current EV production is at the higher end of the spectrum; one has to really want an EV to pay those prices.

jack vines

Quick Reply: Should I ditch my SQ5?