Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Should I ditch my SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ditched the car. I miss it, but it's time to figure out what is next for me now. I'd love to try a Macan or X3 M40i, but trying hard to talk myself out of eurocar ownership.
The following users liked this post:
kelisko (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by B9_SQ5
I ditched the car. I miss it, but it's time to figure out what is next for me now. I'd love to try a Macan or X3 M40i, but trying hard to talk myself out of eurocar ownership.
The Macan is going to come with the same quality issues as the Audi -- you just get to pay more up front for them! They are all part of the VAG (Volkswagen Automotive Group).

I've been really happy with quality and reliability of my BMW's (a 2008 and now a 2016). Are the newer BMW's the same -- no clue. But I do wish I bought the X3 over the SQ5 with the issues we've had with ours.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wires:
B9_SQ5 (07-03-2024), brian_tii (07-06-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

The Macan is going to come with the same quality issues as the Audi -- you just get to pay more up front for them! They are all part of the VAG (Volkswagen Automotive Group).
Agree; emotionally, I want a Macan. But trading an Audi SQ5 for a Macan is trading a headache for stomach cancer.

jack vines
B9_SQ5 (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires

I've been really happy with quality and reliability of my BMW's (a 2008 and now a 2016). Are the newer BMW's the same -- no clue. But I do wish I bought the X3 over the SQ5 with the issues we've had with ours.
I think the only way I will buy anythign German this time is to pick up a lower mileage used option from CarMax and add the MaxCare warranty which is good for repair at the dealer or any certified mechanic. I drive about 10k per year, so if I find something with < 50k miles, and add the 5 years 100k warranty, I should have 5 worry free years and just need to plan to get rid of it when the warranty is up. Still trying to talk myself into a RX350 or even more boring, a limtied 4Runner.

Old 07-03-2024, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I think the only way I will buy anythign German this time is to pick up a lower mileage used option from CarMax and add the MaxCare warranty which is good for repair at the dealer or any certified mechanic. I drive about 10k per year, so if I find something with < 50k miles, and add the 5 years 100k warranty, I should have 5 worry free years and just need to plan to get rid of it when the warranty is up. Still trying to talk myself into a RX350 or even more boring, a limtied 4Runner.
Where would you get that warranty? Is it from CarMax, an Audi dealer, or some third party? The reason I'm asking is that my new car warranty will run out at the end of the year.
Old 07-03-2024, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

MaxCare is only through CarMax, although I understand there are multiple 3rd party underwriters who write the policy for them. I am sure that you could get a similar warranty directly through one of the 3rd parties since you own the car and I will see if I can find out who those parties might be. The good thing with CarMax (boy that sounds weird to type) is that the 5yr/100k miles (that is 5 years from warranty purchase, up to 100k on odometer) on the higher end German cars seems to run about $3800. It's a chunk of change, but better than $5,387 for the comparable Fidelity plan I was quoted from FD-Warranty which when I bought the Audi in 2019.
GeriatricSQ5Guy (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
They are all part of the VAG (Volkswagen Automotive Group).
VAG is actually Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft or Volkswagen AG, AG (Aktiengesellschaft) which designates a public company.
Volkswagen Automotive Group or Volkswagen Audi Group are common terms used for VAG but it should be called just Volkswagen Group.
Wires (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 189 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm looking to trade in my 2021 SQ5 next year. I've been waiting to see what the new B10 version looks like and was planning on comparing it to the new X3-M50. But now that the X3 redesign has been unveiled, I'm extremely underwhelmed. It seems to be a combination of both boring and ugly. I might have to consider a lightly used X5 with the same engine instead.

The spy shots of the B10 S5's are not giving me a ton of confidence on the Audi side either.
Old 07-03-2024, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I'm looking to trade in my 2021 SQ5 next year. I've been waiting to see what the new B10 version looks like and was planning on comparing it to the new X3-M50. But now that the X3 redesign has been unveiled, I'm extremely underwhelmed. It seems to be a combination of both boring and ugly. I might have to consider a lightly used X5 with the same engine instead.

The spy shots of the B10 S5's are not giving me a ton of confidence on the Audi side either.
We seem to be fast tracking to all cars being the same bubble looking auto driving machines. One thing that I had always appreciated about yester-years BMW was some of their hard lines on the that made their models stand out. That seems to be fading hard on each new generation....
Old 07-03-2024, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Just came across this thread a little too late but I am glad with your decision which would have been my advice. Wise!

Quick Reply: Should I ditch my SQ5?