Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Should I ditch my SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by packardv8
Agree; emotionally, I want a Macan. But trading an Audi SQ5 for a Macan is trading a headache for stomach cancer.

jack vines
Porsche seems to be doing great in reliability surveys. I am not sure whether this is brand loyalty bs from die-hard Porsche fans or accurate stuff. I currently don't trust the VAG group and I don't wish even my worst enemy to touch them with a 10-foot pole. BMW is the second best on the list of German premium auto manufacturers and there are reports their reliability is indeed improving. MINI under BMW improved too. 3-year study chart below. Audi is a thousand miles away when it comes to reliability. BMW would be the German premium brand to go to with the available data.

Old 07-04-2024, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Good to see that Land Rover is consistent over the years! Had a boss that had one back in 2004 that always had issues. 20 years later, still, that same consistency!
Old 07-05-2024, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for posting! I am shocked to see Honda / Acura so far down the list!

I am still missing the Audi badly, but I know I made the right call. I think I am most turned off by how poorly the local dealer treated me when the car was under warranty. I would almost consider a newer SQ5 with an extended warranty, but I have no hope of them taking care of me even with an extended warranty. There were so many times that I took the car in with video evidence of the electronic issues and the dealer was always dismissive. I must have thad the dirtiest car in the world according to them, because the findings were always "dust on sensor" or "dirt on sensor" - cleaned and working as normal. A fancy way of telling me to go fly a kite. I didn't even mention the short in rear bumper light that would cause an error on the dash every time I hit a bump or if the hatch was opened and closed with the car running. I took that one to the dealer 3x, including driving to a second dealer 2 hours away from my last warranty service just trying to get it fixed. OBD II showed a short in the assembly. I ended up replacing the unit myself out of pocket to fix that issues.

The other annoying thing is how many of the common issues we see posted here are just poor engineering designs. I can't believe the water pumps on our cars did not get lumped into the Q5 settlement. I am thankful that I never had trouble with the sunroof drains drenching the rear compartment computer or the main computer that was mounted underneath the kid sized cupholders in the back seat (before audi installed my ziplock bag), but those are still just poor designs from the start. It's sad that we pay a premium and have to worry about that type of thing.
Old 07-05-2024, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

I wonder how much of those issues were the whole supply chain problem? My daughter bought a 2023 Civic (new) and had to wait 8-months for it to get build/arrive. Honda wasn't shipping cars partially assembled like other brands did. Deep in the gut was the "ughhh.... I wonder how much corner cutting they will do to this thing to recover 8-month losses of sales....) It did just go in for failed AC (needed a new condenser assembly), but for has been solid so far (knocking on wood here!)

Wow... so your dealer was just as "awesome" as ours!?!? We put an aftermarket grill in our car which apparently is taboo for this elite brand. EVERY warranty visit that was what they pointed at as cause. When those cheap level sensor design that they used broke (arm was literally dangling in the wind) it was "caused by the grill". Our dealer was just as bad as yours and double as slimy.

I like how are car rides/handles and the interior (except their cupholders and MMI), but I couldn't in good conscious buy another one with the issues we had with this one (that's including the ticking time bomb's of the other 2018 3L issues like rocker arms). These are all just substandard engineering, or engineered to generate service. Take your pick.
Old 07-05-2024, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 397 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by B9_SQ5
I didn't even mention the short in rear bumper light that would cause an error on the dash every time I hit a bump or if the hatch was opened and closed with the car running. I took that one to the dealer 3x, including driving to a second dealer 2 hours away from my last warranty service just trying to get it fixed. OBD II showed a short in the assembly. I ended up replacing the unit myself out of pocket to fix that issues.
I can't believe they still haven't fixed that issue! My colleague's 2014 Q5 had the same issue which also affects one of the front DRLs when it happens. A quick Google search returned a lot of results as it seemed to be a common issue. They keep adding unproven tech while not fixing the older problematic ones. Crappy R&D and crappy engineering. No wonder they are lagging in dependability and reliability surveys.
Old 07-06-2024, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Good to see that Land Rover is consistent over the years! Had a boss that had one back in 2004 that always had issues. 20 years later, still, that same consistency!
Looks like Chrysler is hanging in there as well. Many years ago, a friend of mine from work took his son in for his driver's test. When the patrolman got in the passenger seat of my friend's Chrysler and closed the door, the window fell out (literally). He had all sorts of trouble with that car, ranging from external trim flying off to a failed head gasket. This was in the late '60s/early '70s when American cars were terrible overall. They don't build 'em like they used to, and that's a good thing.
The following users liked this post:
Wires (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by B9_SQ5
I ditched the car. I miss it, but it's time to figure out what is next for me now. I'd love to try a Macan or X3 M40i, but trying hard to talk myself out of eurocar ownership.
How did you come out with selling your car with known problems ?