Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 Acceleration time

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQ5 Acceleration time

I know most ppl here did not buy an SQ5 just for the acceleration but has anyone timed their SQ5 0-60 acceleration times?

I can across this interesting video which drag the SQ5 against the GLC43.It seem these 2 SUV are closer than the official figures suggest.

However I did some digging and came up with these figure from car and driver https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-specs-page-5

Summary from Car and Driver

SQ5 354hp 12.5lb/hp

Macan S 340hp 12lb/hp

GLC43 362hp 11.7lb/hp

Lastly the new player

X3 M40i 355hp11.7lb/hp

GLC43 and X3 is by far the fastest due to high power to weight ratio. What surprise me is how the macan with less power was 0.8 sec faster than the SQ5. When I drove the Macan S, I felt the car was slower than the SQ5 for some reason and yet seems to be quicker on paper and on test review.I know Porsche put the power down better and faster PDK, but there is quite a bit of gap in the times.And if we look at the figures between the C43 amg, S4 and 340i (which is almost the same drive tran as the SUV counterparts), the acceleration times are almost within 0.1sec from each other so how come there is much noticeable gap in the equivalent SUV times?

Any idea on why the SQ5 seem slower than it should be? Or is it...?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by samchuang33
if we look at the figures between the C43 amg, S4 and 340i (which is almost the same drive tran as the SUV counterparts), the acceleration times are almost within 0.1sec from each other so how come there is much noticeable gap in the equivalent SUV times?

Any idea on why the SQ5 seem slower than it should be? Or is it...?
Gearing is going to be part of it. Audi and MB use the same gear ratios in both their vehicles, whereas BMW has varied. And in the video, the Audi is clearly coming off the line faster, but the MB has more top end, so gearing can be at play there also. That transmission in the GLC is no slouch either.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:10 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
Gearing is going to be part of it. Audi and MB use the same gear ratios in both their vehicles, whereas BMW has varied. And in the video, the Audi is clearly coming off the line faster, but the MB has more top end, so gearing can be at play there also. That transmission in the GLC is no slouch either.
The first run I think the GLC driver was a little off the pace on reaction time hence the very close result. One thing is for sure, on both run the SQ5 launch very well. At high speed, the extra hp really come in and GLC pulls away from SQ5.

So you would think that the official figure are off according to the drag video on youtube. One would think the 0-60 times are identical for SQ5 vs GLC43 which is similar to S4 vs C43 sedan and not by half a second suggested on paper
Old 10-16-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!

An 8 hp differential is going to make for a negligible difference in 1/4 mile drag times. The other possibility revolves around the accuracy of the manufacturers stated horsepower, which in true German fashion tends to run on the low side.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The video was exactly what I expected. I knew the SQ5 wasn't the fastest when I bought it a year ago. Honestly the only reason I went with the SQ5 over the Q5 is because I didn't want a buzzing 4 cylinder in my luxury car. There's something nice about having loads of torque and a smooth refined engine.

If I wanted top performance I would have went with the BMW X3 M40i or upcoming BMW X3 M. But these vehicles are so top heavy they lose that fun to drive aspect. That's why I'm thinking of selling my SQ5 next year and getting back into a performance sedan.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Originally Posted by damnitBobby
The video was exactly what I expected. I knew the SQ5 wasn't the fastest when I bought it a year ago. Honestly the only reason I went with the SQ5 over the Q5 is because I didn't want a buzzing 4 cylinder in my luxury car. There's something nice about having loads of torque and a smooth refined engine.

If I wanted top performance I would have went with the BMW X3 M40i or upcoming BMW X3 M. But these vehicles are so top heavy they lose that fun to drive aspect. That's why I'm thinking of selling my SQ5 next year and getting back into a performance sedan.
It surely does feel faster than the official figures suggest and Audi are also know to be overly conservative on their numbers. That is a good thing in my books. I actually prefer a car that feels faster which give me the fun factor but without breaking the law too easily. Agree on the the 4 cylinder, it is a great engine but the sound of the V6 is still a bit more enjoyable.

It is a constant dilemma that I think all of the SQ5 driver think about before getting in the SQ5... S4/S5 or SQ5
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by samchuang33
It surely does feel faster than the official figures suggest and Audi are also know to be overly conservative on their numbers. That is a good thing in my books. I actually prefer a car that feels faster which give me the fun factor but without breaking the law too easily. Agree on the the 4 cylinder, it is a great engine but the sound of the V6 is still a bit more enjoyable.

It is a constant dilemma that I think all of the SQ5 driver think about before getting in the SQ5... S4/S5 or SQ5
I know that I read somewhere, and I think it was one of the C & D reviews, that the reviewer felt the car was quicker than the 5.1 number. He opined that that number might be being used to keep out any intra-corporate squabbles - didn't want it looking like Audi was claiming some Porsche turf. On another linked note, I saw another C & D spot where they are saying the Macan S is a 5.1 sec 0-60 time.
The way I look at these miniscule differences in timing between and among cars has more to do with who twitches first on the timing stopwatches......................The only point that I will grant is that my new 2018 SQ5 is somewhat quicker than my 1972 Super Beetle when it was new.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ronsal
The only point that I will grant is that my new 2018 SQ5 is somewhat quicker than my 1972 Super Beetle when it was new.
A 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S had 355 hp, and 295 lb-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm. It ran 0-60 in 5 seconds. So we have more power across a much wider power band, and similar acceleration to a 911 that was made just 10 years ago! Incredible. Maybe not the quickest SUV on the market, but quick enough and polished enough to lure me out of an AMG C63 to try a new class of vehicle and my first Audi. Would I like to hear the V8 again, and feel its pull? Hell yeah, I'm 16 forever lol. But Im going to have a lot more fun in the SQ this winter, and its a lot easier to load my mountain bike and gear.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuirelly5
A 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S had 355 hp, and 295 lb-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm. It ran 0-60 in 5 seconds. So we have more power across a much wider power band, and similar acceleration to a 911 that was made just 10 years ago! Incredible. Maybe not the quickest SUV on the market, but quick enough and polished enough to lure me out of an AMG C63 to try a new class of vehicle and my first Audi. Would I like to hear the V8 again, and feel its pull? Hell yeah, I'm 16 forever lol. But Im going to have a lot more fun in the SQ this winter, and its a lot easier to load my mountain bike and gear.
AMEN!!!!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Came across this today in youtube. Maybe it came down to quattro vs 4matic as the drag strip was very dusty

Make u question the official figure for acceleration times for the SQ5

Quick Reply: SQ5 Acceleration time