Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 auto Brake in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
It's just their horrible collision avoidance system which I believe is tied to presence. Backing up in this vehicle is always an adventure. Try backing up the vehicle from a driveway into a busy street, that crap is bananas. If you're moving, say so you can actually get far enough to see said street, it will constantly brake as cars go by. As far as I'm concerned this system is broken. These systems only work if you never know it's there, but this system constantly reminds you otherwise.
Probably off topic but related....My garage in Brooklyn exits right on the sidewalk, and beyond the sidewalk is the street. So if I pull the car into the garage forwards I'd be faced with having to back across the sidewalk and then immediately beyond that, into traffic. So I just don't do that. I always back my car in, so I can pull out going forward. Is it more difficult to get in the garage that way? Sure. But at least when I'm backing in, I'm in a position where my visibility of the entire situation is good, because I'm backing in from out in the street. And when I'm pulling out, going forward is obviously much easier and safer than backing out blindly. Just food for thought about how to drive and park the correct, safer way.
The following users liked this post:
Sugar Ray Rob (07-22-2019)
Old 10-05-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wishbone
It's just their horrible collision avoidance system which I believe is tied to presence. Backing up in this vehicle is always an adventure. Try backing up the vehicle from a driveway into a busy street, that crap is bananas. If you're moving, say so you can actually get far enough to see said street, it will constantly brake as cars go by. As far as I'm concerned this system is broken. These systems only work if you never know it's there, but this system constantly reminds you otherwise.
I'm with you 100%...this design does not work and it should be disabled. 4 times in 1 months is unacceptable. So you're saying I can't back out of a spot or anywhere if there is anything moving even 50' away? That's ridiculous and not a safety feature in any way.. in fact it the opposite... if the car stops when you don't want it to, it could cause a problem more than solve one. It is not practical to say you have to back up into a spot ever time you park because the system will malfunction if not... sometimes you don't have that option and you shouldn't need to. I've owned plenty of cars and none have ever had any issue like this.... its amazing that they didn't catch this in testing or R&D.... and with so many people having the same problem they should be addressing it... at the very least, give the operator the option to disable it. maybe some people like their car slamming on brakes for no reason unexpectedly but I sure don't. it's loud, embarrassing, annoying, unnecessary, and does not prevent anything. If you can't drive and stop on your own you shouldn't have a license? maybe we need better drivers, less distracted,etc. , instead of "smarter" cars? just saying...
Old 10-05-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just happen to me today .

Pulling out of my garage when a car on a street that was 600 feet away from me (im also 30 feet away from the street) and the car activates the system. i think if the car was "surprised" with the moving car as i was just puling out it calculated the speed of the oncoming car wrong and think it was in my way. or its just broken LOL. i do wonder how it was ever ably to see that far with just the current backing up sensors the car has??? makes me think the car could easly park it self if needed to do the out pull out and in but audi will not offer it ???
Old 10-05-2018, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

What irks me about this is the sound created by this breaking. It mimics the sound of the vehicle hitting an obstruction as the car slowly is backing up. Odd that the physics of the calipers engaging, as I assume is the case, would produce such a jarring sensation. Has happened twice, a few months apart. Glad it didn’t happen when I was peaking on a triple shot espresso or I’d be writing this post-op with my chest hooked up to a piece of luggage.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only times it has happened to me was backing out of a steep driveway, which I presume resulted in the sensors seeing the street and interpreting it as an obstacle, and once in the rain along a curb. Again, assuming they saw the curb. I'd like to see how the brakes are actuated, because you're right - it sounds darn near explosive and the braking is RIGHT NOW!
Old 10-06-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack.com
The only times it has happened to me was backing out of a steep driveway, which I presume resulted in the sensors seeing the street and interpreting it as an obstacle, and once in the rain along a curb. Again, assuming they saw the curb. I'd like to see how the brakes are actuated, because you're right - it sounds darn near explosive and the braking is RIGHT NOW!
Off the subject but I have a Tire Rack question about brakes. A few of us are looking for a set for the SQ5 with less dust. I see you have several front brakes and one set of Centric’s for the rear. A forum member bought the rear ones and said they were wrong. Any thoughts or a good contact at TR for info?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ron.S

Off the subject but I have a Tire Rack question about brakes. A few of us are looking for a set for the SQ5 with less dust. I see you have several front brakes and one set of Centric’s for the rear. A forum member bought the rear ones and said they were wrong. Any thoughts or a good contact at TR for info?
Call me, I'm glad to help.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had this same problem with my 2017 S3, mostly backing into my garage at an incline but that was not the only time. It made me cringe every time I put that car in reverse. I'm in a 2018 S4 now and thought the sudden brake stop was a thing specific to the S3. I was wrong. The S4 has done it a couple times backing into my garage in the few months I've had it but the real kicker is...it locked the brakes up on me (again, with no warning) exiting my parking garage at work that is on an incline but in DRIVE at about 2-3mph. That to me, is an accident waiting to happen if someone is following me and my car stops abruptly without warning. Would love to hear if anyone has ever gotten any resolution on this problem.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to me with my 2018 Q5. I was backing out of my drive way (I live in a suburban development) and there was a car parked right next to my driveway as well as a car driving down the road. The rear sense lit up red on the screen like it always does but I kept slowly rolling. I was probably 8-10ft from the road as I slowly rolled down the driveway, when the brakes engaged very hard creating that same noise the OP spoke of. It scared me because that never happened before and the noise was startling. I saw the car coming down the street and was rolling slow enough that it would pass me before I even got to the end of the sidewalk, let alone the drive way (this is how I always back out of my driveway daily, rolling slowly whether a car is coming or not). Not sure if the parked car next to the driveway set it off or the actual car driving set it off. I continue to back out like this and it hasn’t happened since.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I was backing into my garage last night and my 2018 SQ5 also emergency braked. There was no reason for it that I could tell....even if it is admittedly tight it's not that tight....I can still walk all around the car when its parked so at least a foot clearance on all sides and there was nothing behind me or moving in the garage, just me and the car. So a completely unwarranted emergency stop. Part of what's so unsettling about these events is the noise it makes but the jolt is pretty bad too. Good thing I didn't have a passenger drinking coffee, they would have been wearing it for sure.

Quick Reply: SQ5 auto Brake in Reverse