Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

SQ5 auto Brake in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened in my wife's 2018 Q5 last weekend. I pulled alongside the left side of a street, put the car in reverse and was backing up straight very slowly. There was a car parked behind me about 10 feet away when all of the sudden the Q5 braked hard and made that awful sound. There was no Pre Sense warning on the dash. I have experienced that once before when it braked because Pre Sense activated while backing up and braked. So this time I thought I actually hit something. It scared both my wife and I. I get out to check the car and I wasn't near anything. Get back in and then noticed the emergency parking brake was engaged. Later that day, I got a rear parking sensor error. It was raining heavily that day so thought maybe that was affecting it. But even when it stopped raining, I was still getting an error. But it has since fixed itself.

Last edited by audiohs2; 04-27-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by audiohs2
Get back in and then noticed the emergency parking brake was engaged. Later that day, I got a rear parking sensor error. It was raining heavily that day so thought maybe that was affecting it. But even when it stopped raining, I was still getting an error. But it has since fixed itself.
Can't speak on the parking sensor error, but I have noticed the parking brake coming on automatically in certain circumstances when I've opened the door with the engine running like you desribed.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 277 Posts

Parking brake comes on automatically if you open a door and the car is in gear.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I test drove an SQ5 with DAP I had pre sense city jar me a few times while making a left turn across traffic. I guess if you have your steering wheel turned slightly and start your roll before the oncoming car completely passes you, the car thinks you are trying to kamikaze and locks the brakes up. It was annoying because it messed with my driving style.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Q5 2019. Backing out of underground parking garage spot. Emergency braking kicked in. It’s quite a jolt; make sure your chiropractor is freely available . The car indicted that it detected two vehicles one from either side. Bogus.

Same thing in heavy, big snow flake storm backing out of outdoor garage. We thought maybe an animal ran by. Bogus.

The jolt is very strong. Try it yourself one day. Put the car in reverse and ease your foot off the brake and as soon as your foot is completely of the brake slam the brake pedal as hard as you can. You have now experienced emergency braking. Now do it with a passenger without telling them you are doing it. Surprise. Welcome to emergency braking. If this wasn’t serious, it would be funny.

Al,
The following users liked this post:
Sugar Ray Rob (07-22-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hard reverse braking

I have a new 2019 Q5 Prestige. I back out of my garage and my office parking lot every day and the auto sense slams on the brakes every time a truck is going down the street and almost never when a car is driving by. Additionally, it sputters and mis fires when in stop/go traffic. I am so annoyed I don't drive it any more, my wife has taken it and I now drive her X5 - I will never buy another AUDI again - the car does way too many stupid things.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 20VTURBOA4
When I test drove an SQ5 with DAP I had pre sense city jar me a few times while making a left turn across traffic. I guess if you have your steering wheel turned slightly and start your roll before the oncoming car completely passes you, the car thinks you are trying to kamikaze and locks the brakes up. It was annoying because it messed with my driving style.

Yep was just going to reply that same thing , left turn with turn-signal on , wheel turned left , on coming vehicle and you try to crawl even an inch it locks it up !

When it happens it scares the #$%@ out of you , while having our A5 serviced they gave us a loaner Q5 and first time it happened we were backing out of a parking spot NO vehicles behind us .
We parked in a small narrow parking lot ,.
When we headed out I started backing up and turned the steering just a bit and I guess the sensors thought I was going hit the car parked next to us and locked the brakes up and bam that grind annoying noise .
Both my wife and I got out of the car to see what the heck we just hit , nothing behind us or under us. I start the vehicle back up put it in R start to back out same thing . I had to straighten the wheel completely to get out so it wouldn't lock up.
But then we were now too close to curb and the sensors were beeping and the red beam indicator going off showing were too close to the curb.

Another time we were parked close to the street , straight in parking spots no parallel parking, yep had to back out of spot into the street to get out, dam thing kept locking up . Even traffic in the other lane caused the dam thing to lock up.
One of the passengers actually had to walk out and stop traffic BOTH DIRECTIONS so I could get out .
Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It has happened three times this week, including this morning when I was backing out of my garage (20 feet from the street) not a car in sight. I've had enough. I'm bringing it to the shop to get the sputtering, hesitation problem fixed and I'm going to tell them I don't want the car back until the 'slamming on the brakes in reverse' problem is fixed. I've had 14 BMW's in a row until this Q5, I know the family that owns the dealership so I decided to try - it's very disappointing!
Old 08-08-2019, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 277 Posts

I thought you made your wife drive it. Not sure why your still complaining.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

If you’re in motion at slow speeds in tightly confined areas, have your foot resting on the pedal. That’s why it’s stopping because it thinks you’re not aware of your surroundings.

Quick Reply: SQ5 auto Brake in Reverse