Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

UK: Audi Q5 2018 FY rear bumper light removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone notice that the rear lights of the q5 wiggles up and down a little? Is that normal, should of checked it before I took it apart
Old 09-10-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone, I found it - Glory Be!!!
Thanks and big-up to Joey... You showed me the way...

I bought an cheap Endoscope device which attaches to my laptop. Put the scope up inside the opening and saw the screw - just like Joey’s pictures showed. Still, it took a bit of fiddling to get the Torx into the right place. I measured the length of the scope light right up to the screw so I could tell if the Torx driver was in the right place (longer/shorter and I’m in wrong place!!) Felt the grip and ... yeh!!!! Whoop whoop!!!!

Why don’t garages have these devices - and how come an Audi car ‘expert’ and four other garage mechanics didn’t see this and one told me I had to take the bumper off - weird??
Old 03-17-2020, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, so my left reverse light has burned out and looking to replace them with some LEDs I had bought. The problem is I can't find the freaking screw and it's bothering me a lot. Looked under the car and through the tow hook cover but can't find the red screw housing and such. It's a RHD FY Q5. Any help is appreciated! 😡
Old 03-17-2020, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s7edgeuser
Hey guys, so my left reverse light has burned out and looking to replace them with some LEDs I had bought. The problem is I can't find the freaking screw and it's bothering me a lot. Looked under the car and through the tow hook cover but can't find the red screw housing and such. It's a RHD FY Q5. Any help is appreciated! 😡
Hi, yes, it’s there... I was frustrated myself. Took it to several garages which all told me a load of nonsense.... Evan a Audi garage where they put it on a ramp.., they said I had to remove the whole rear bumper...

I bought a cheap Endoscope and hooked it up to my laptop (I have iPhone but if you use Android you can get them fitting to that). I saw the screw head plain and simple... the angle is awkward and I noted it carefully before entering the screwdriver...yup, got it...

When I took out the fitting I saw all my scratching on the bottom of the unit ... way away from the screw... you gotta get the angle right.....!!!!

But who’s going to see the scratches... who’s going to care!! It’s not a crime nor voids warrantee but it saves me paying loads for such a simple task!!!

The following users liked this post:
s7edgeuser (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoapySuds11
Hi, yes, it’s there... I was frustrated myself. Took it to several garages which all told me a load of nonsense.... Evan a Audi garage where they put it on a ramp.., they said I had to remove the whole rear bumper...

I bought a cheap Endoscope and hooked it up to my laptop (I have iPhone but if you use Android you can get them fitting to that). I saw the screw head plain and simple... the angle is awkward and I noted it carefully before entering the screwdriver...yup, got it...

When I took out the fitting I saw all my scratching on the bottom of the unit ... way away from the screw... you gotta get the angle right.....!!!!

But who’s going to see the scratches... who’s going to care!! It’s not a crime nor voids warrantee but it saves me paying loads for such a simple task!!!

Ok. I don't have an endoscope so I think I'll just try and wiggle it till I get it. Will try again later. Wish me luck hahaha
Old 03-17-2020, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested in how much Audi would charge to replace a reverse light burnout and would they use LED?
Old 06-20-2020, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

External lights - Rear
Rear Fog lamp inoperative off side requires bulb .40tu
£75.64 INC. VAT

My wife brought our 2017 Q5 in the garage for some Audi recall work and they quoted that much money. I said no and wanted to do it myself and ended up feeling like an idiot unable to find the way to do it.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrolUK
External lights - Rear
Rear Fog lamp inoperative off side requires bulb .40tu
£75.64 INC. VAT

My wife brought our 2017 Q5 in the garage for some Audi recall work and they quoted that much money. I said no and wanted to do it myself and ended up feeling like an idiot unable to find the way to do it.
This site is for the MKII which is 2018 and newer. You might have better luck on the MKI site.

Good luck.....
Old 06-20-2020, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsal
This site is for the MKII which is 2018 and newer. You might have better luck on the MKI site.

Good luck.....
But the MKII was released in 2017 as a FY model, remember that this site is viewed by ROW users not just NAR.

Last edited by Martigary; 06-20-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

So are you saying that for ROW the 2017 MY is the start of the MKII? And that the NA cars start with the MY 2018? Didn't realize that........

Quick Reply: UK: Audi Q5 2018 FY rear bumper light removal