Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Update your Nav to 2018 maps

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Like Chevyguy stated, I activated my Audi Connect free trial online, and am now able to download maps over the air. I wonder if that will still be true after the Audi Connect free trial expires...guess I'll know next January.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

I finally got my update. I tried loading it in the garage, but after 40+ minutes, I quit at 50%. I drove today for the first time in almost 2 weeks and it finished the job. What was new for me was only being offered 3 regions. I'm not thrilled about not having the whole US updated. I'm pretty sure this is my last update.

Yes, Google Maps is way better, but I still prefer using the MMI since I want to be cord free.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FPF - Followed your updated instruction. I am stuck at step 9, the actual download phase. Do you need an active Audi Connect subscription for the update or just an active SIM in the vehicle?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

TSB for map updates

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...76421-0001.pdf
The following users liked this post:
ahcatanese (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 08:17 PM
FPF
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by samnt650
FPF - Followed your updated instruction. I am stuck at step 9, the actual download phase. Do you need an active Audi Connect subscription for the update or just an active SIM in the vehicle?
I have my original Audi account from when I bought the car. I’ve never paid for Audi connect. Sounds like others have had this issue as well.
The following users liked this post:
samnt650 (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by samnt650
Is there a new version out for July 20 our or are you trying to get the one that came out in Dec/19/Jan 20?
Old 07-24-2020, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ringsnewbie
Lol--so now, in addition to the customer needing a PHD to figure out how to update their maps, the service department needs a PHD to figure out how to update a customer's maps, how to charge the customer, etc. The amount of hoops Audi jumps through to maintain a terribly faulty and broken system, is rather remarkable IMHO.

In any case, with my '18 SQ5 purchased in April of 2018, I was recently able to update my maps (well, certain regions at least) OTA, as opposed to the SD-card method I used to use. No real glitches on my front with the downloading, though of course not very intuitive or easy to perform.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not subscribed to Audi Connect. In the past, I downloaded the map from myAudi to SD. But now the download option is gone, and tried the "over the network" download without results using ATT or Tmobile SIM card.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I downloaded the latest maps a couple months ago but put them on a jump drive instead of an SD card. My 2018 Q5 couldn't update from jump drive so I forgot about the maps until a couple weeks ago prior to taking a long road trip. I put the maps on SD card but apparently my car got an update that made it so it can't update via SD card anymore??!? Pretty stupid. No choice but to download OTA maps and you can only do a few regions instead of the whole USA. This is ridiculous. Is there anyway to use the SD card anymore? Is the car able to get OS updates over the air without my consent or knowledge? All options are greyed out when I try to update the map except for OTA.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 82DMC12
I downloaded the latest maps a couple months ago but put them on a jump drive instead of an SD card. My 2018 Q5 couldn't update from jump drive so I forgot about the maps until a couple weeks ago prior to taking a long road trip. I put the maps on SD card but apparently my car got an update that made it so it can't update via SD card anymore??!? Pretty stupid. No choice but to download OTA maps and you can only do a few regions instead of the whole USA. This is ridiculous. Is there anyway to use the SD card anymore? Is the car able to get OS updates over the air without my consent or knowledge? All options are greyed out when I try to update the map except for OTA.
I agree it's lame, but no way to SD card it any more. My guess is the want to prevent us being able to share updates. I am hoping I can update again and get more regions. I think it's false advertising/ breaking agreements if I can't update the whole NA region with my promised 2 1/2 years. I'll give it a try in an hour.

Quick Reply: Update your Nav to 2018 maps