Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

VCDS Coding Overview for 2018 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VCDS Coding Overview for 2018 Q5

VCDS Coding Overview for 2018 Q5

Follow these steps at your own risk. I do not provide support or online help. You will need to purchase VCDS software w/ support to get help.

It took me a while to figure out how to start coding my 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige as there are many articles. Threads and youtube videos to sift through so I tried to condense this down to a few key things to get new users started. It’s really pretty simple to get started and make some pretty basic changes. I’m using an OBDII adapter that connects with the attached USB cable to my Windows computer along with the VCDS software that I purchased from Ross-Tech (support included $200 US). There are other Ross-Tech adapters that are wireless (more $$) as well as 3rd party generic adapters (less $$) but you still need to get the licensed VCDS software. On a side note, ODBEleven offers a newer ODBII interface that works wirelessly with an Android Device that is cheaper and simpler but typically requires additional in-app purchases.

My car is a North American (US), 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige w/ Driver Assistance Package (DAP), Adaptive Damping Suspension (ADP) and Cold Weather Package so I have many of the driver assistance features enabled at the factory. These features come with many options that are configurable by default in the MMI interface, but there are other options that are not available (from the factory) to change in the MMI interface and this is where “coding” comes in i.e. Display Gear Number in Virtual Cockpit. Other owners may be trying to “code” their cars to enable the driver assistance features even though they were not enabled at the factory. There could be several reasons for this, for instance, Audi built the car with the required hardware but didn’t enable the features because it’s restricted within a specific country and/or the required hardware is not installed in the car i.e. radar sensors because the car wasn’t configured with those options during the build or the options weren’t available on that model. Some features cannot be coded or won’t work properly if the required hardware is not installed on the car.

1) Prerequisites for coding; ODB-II Adapter & Software
a) My setup: Ross-Tech HEX-V2 - Intelligent Dual-K plus CAN - USB Interface (P/N H11-001950) that comes with VCDS software. Windows Computer w/ USB Port
b) Ross-Tech: HEX-V2 Interface
c) Ross-Tech USB Version vs Wireless Version Ross-Tech: Interfaces
2) If you are interested in reading more about the differences between the Ross-Tech cheaper USB cable version (HEX-V2) vs their more expensive wireless version (HEX-NET) w/ VCDS Mobile vs an inexpensive Generic ODBII adapter using VCDS-Lite Shareware, check this out; Functions - Ross-Tech Wiki

You can pretty much get started watching this video, but if you the type of person who just likes to start playing around, the basic steps are listed below, but do not blame me if I miss something, watch the video first.
Overview of using VCDS and Coding:
Ross-Tech Online Interactive Manual: Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour

Follow these steps at your own risk. I do not provide support or online help. You will need to purchase VCDS software w/ support to get help.

*** If you get a popup with an error that contains “This appears to be an uninitialized control module; valid WSC/Importer/Equipment data may be required” do not panic. Just select “Yes” ***

Basic Steps:
1) Download VCDS Software and install on your Windows PC. Instructions to download, install and get started here: Ross-Tech: VCDS: Downloads: Current Release and Manual
2) Connect your HEX-V2 or HEX-NET adapter to your computers USB port. (No car connection required)
3) Start the VCDS software, select Options and then select the USB interface and click test.
a) Look for Port Status OK, Interface Found. If you are not connected to your car, you will see “Status: Questionable”, you can ignore that for now.
4) Click Save.
a) If you are prompted to update the software/firmware and/or confirm your registration, go ahead and do that. This obviously requires that your computer is connected to the internet.
5) Connect your HEX-V2, or other, adapter to your cars ODB-II port and your computer with the VCDS software installed and running or not running.
6) Turn on the cars ignition, it doesn’t need to be started but I would recommend shutting the doors and windows as they will throw faults during the AutoScan process if open. I found it more comfortable to keep the car running with the A/C or heater on.
7) Open the VCDS software
a) If required, select Options, USB port (or other connection option) and Test. Select Save
8) Select AutoScan, AutoDetect should be selected for Chassis Type. Then select Start and wait a few minutes for it to finish.
9) Save the AutoScan Log as this contains any faults and all your settings. I believe this file can be used as a backup for any coding changes that you make. So save the AutoScan Log or other Coding Settings frequently. I recommend keeping a log with dates/times when you make changes and don’t make too many changes at one time.
10) You are now ready to start making coding changes to your car. I recommend that you watch the following video if you haven’t already.
a) Overview of using VCDS and Coding:
11) I’ve implemented many of the changes listed in Cakasky’s thread below (Thanks Cakasky). Note, he also has Driver Assistance Package (DAP), so if you are wanting to enable ACC or Lake Keeping Assist that was not installed or enabled from the factory, you will need to search for other threads about those changes. Those are more advanced changes.

Note 1: Some coding changes require a security code be entered to make a change, see Cakasky’s thread for codes.
Note 2: To save a change, Select “Do It!”.

*** If you get a popup with an error that contains “This appears to be an uninitialized control module; valid WSC/Importer/Equipment data may be required” do not panic. Just select “Yes” ***

Cakasky’s 2018 Q5 Coding & MMI Settings: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...018-a-2937291/

Threads for similar MMI version cars i.e. 2017 Q7:
Q7 (4M) Coding
2017 Audi Q7 4M - Adaptations, Coding & Modifications

Notes on Ross-Tech HEX-V2 ODBII Adapter and VCDS Software:
· VCDS License and Registration come programmed in to the HEX-V2 ODBII Adapter.

· HEX-V2 Lights:
During normal operation, both LEDs work together, so that there is no need to decide which one is which, something that would be difficult on this interface due to the symmetry of the LEDs. In any kind of steady state, the LEDs blink OFF for ~100ms or so every ~1s. This indicates that the software in the interface is alive and running. If there is no blinking OFF, that's an indication that the software has crashed and that the interface needs to be rebooted.

Steady-state LED Colors:
Yellow: Interface is plugged into car, but not enumerated via USB on a PC.
Blue: Interface is enumerated via USB on a PC, but does not see any power from the car.
Red: Indicates a fault with the connection on the car (generally a stuck K-Line).
Green: Ready to use (enumerated via USB, and plugged into a car with no obvious faults on the diagnostic socket)

During active communications;
LEDs will alternate red/green in synch with data transmissions, much like the older interfaces did.

During boot-up:
One of the LEDs will flash green for about 2 seconds (while the other LED remains off).

Using VCDS for troubleshooting faults:

Older coding threads/sites for other models for additional reading:
https://www.audienthusiasts.com/index.html
B8/B8.5 VCDS & Hidden Menu: The Complete List: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Complete-List
The following users liked this post:
Michael Roth (08-20-2019)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the writeup, has anyone tried using a older HEX-USB+CAN interface? I've got one and ROSSTECH won't exactly tell me exactly won't work. Just that "some modules" might not be available. I'm wondering if that's anything I would ever care about, the upgrade process is not cheap.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I am in the same boat. Have an older Ross Tech cable which I am holding out until my vehicle arrives so I can check out if it is useful with the FY Q5. If not then OBDEleven will be a purchase I'll need.
Does suck that the upgrade VCDS is limited to a couple of VINs and the dollars they are asking.