Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Why is the Nav destination database so terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Why is the Nav destination database so terrible?

I have a 2018 Q5 and love it, but the nav is leaving a lot to be desired. I thought the database would be tied into Google (or equivalent), but:

1. When I enter an address, half the time it comes up null.
2. The nav will list near-matches 500 miles away from me, so I have to scroll through the results to find the correct match.

The addresses are those that Waze immediately finds, so it's not like I'm trying to find a new business or something. I found the option to search within a particular state, but as I live on the border of MA/RI it would be annoying to have to switch between the states depending on what I'm trying to find.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

unfortunately it's down to your area, and, how the vendor Audi uses for Nav identifies your area

depending on your production date, there might be a Nav update available too

You can also use the google search function (via voice command) and see if that yields any better results
Old 08-31-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

The Audi system like most in-car nav systems uses HERE maps data, which is the former NavTeq company and one of the two big digital map suppliers in the world. HERE was bought by a consortium of BMW, Daimler and Audi a couple of years ago from Nokia, who originally acquired NavTeq. I can't say I've ever had issues with plain addresses not being found unless it was on a brand new road. You can check if the address are found on https://wego.here.com. If they are found there, then there might be something off with your system or you are entering them incorrectly.

What's known to be rather outdated is the POI database. There is just not any effort being put in maintaining a comprehensive offline POI database.

You can use Google for either one, though. Just use the Google Search command and for example say Google search "Mcdonalds" or you can search a full address such as Google search "123 Main St.....". As long as you have an active Audi connect subscription you can take advantage of the vast Google database.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The Audi system like most in-car nav systems uses HERE maps data, which is the former NavTeq company and one of the two big digital map suppliers in the world. HERE was bought by a consortium of BMW, Daimler and Audi a couple of years ago from Nokia, who originally acquired NavTeq. I can't say I've ever had issues with plain addresses not being found unless it was on a brand new road. You can check if the address are found on https://wego.here.com. If they are found there, then there might be something off with your system or you are entering them incorrectly.
Thanks much (and also to SCarGuy). I didn't know I could use Google Search so I'll give it a try. Waze is in development for CarPlay so once it's released (hopefully this Fall) I'll use that on the screen. I appreciate it.