Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Windows Always Fog

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windows Always Fog

Hello -- looking for some advice, or whether anyone else has experienced this issue.

I've had the Q5 since September, and I'm located in the NY/NJ tristate area. My windshield and side windows (occasionally rear but not as often) always fog up, probably 70% of the time I'm in the car, even on days where the outside temps were close to what I set the inside temp to. Thankfully, running the defroster helps to clear it up, but I find myself toggling it on/off very frequently. I do run the A/C, so inside air has had the moisture reduced and I understand this is caused by temperature differences/moisture content of air. This has happened since September, so when outside temps have been anywhere between sub-zero to reasonably warm. I've just never had a car where the windows are so prone to fog, and it's becoming a little bothersome, having to run the defroster on high all the time.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the glass, or a coating? I can't imagine this is normal.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

That's not normal. Either the system is stuck in RECIRC or you have a water leak.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
That's not normal. Either the system is stuck in RECIRC or you have a water leak.
Uh oh. I will say that I did program (using OBD Eleven) the option to remember the recirculation mode/inside air, and I tend to run it with recirc on. Should I not? I've never had an issue with running recirculation ON in other cars. But I can give it a try using outside air, and see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

RECIRC means no fresh air and humidity goes out of sight and windows fog up.

RECIRC should be removed from cars...people don't understand it. Most mfrs have it set on a timer so it switches back to fresh air intake after 15 minute or so.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 01-31-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! Well yes, I did note that in the manual, but I do run with cool mode ON. And thankfully I am not driving around with my rear hatch open I will give it a try with that mode disabled and see if it helps. Will report back.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, while driving, breathe through you nose, not your mouth. The latter allows more condensation to get into the cabin air and stick to the windows.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by edwyun
Also, while driving, breathe through you nose, not your mouth. The latter allows more condensation to get into the cabin air and stick to the windows.
Happy to report that I am not a mouth-breather, which is why I thought the constant fog was abnormal
Old 01-31-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Baily, we just want people to be safe and enjoy their rides! Take care
Old 01-31-2019, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Baily, we just want people to be safe and enjoy their rides! Take care
I appreciate it, thank you! Something as simple as turning that recirc off is way better than a water leak, so I'll take that any day of the week. Fog is no bueno!

Quick Reply: Windows Always Fog