Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Wireless CarPlay, what actually happens?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

TSB
The following users liked this post:
Tesla1856 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billbak
As suddenly as CarPlay stopped connecting automatically, it returned to proper functionality. I saw several good suggestions here, thanks!, but was traveling and could not implement them immediately. On Sunday of this week, I went to get coffee. CarPlay did not connect, but I used my manual procedure to get it going. I got back in the car after coffee and it just worked. Connected automatically and quickly. And has done so several times since with no failures.

The issue I was seeing was an inability to complete the connection to the in-car wi-fi. It was giving me a message that a secure connection could not be established. That feels like an expired certificate, but who knows. Anyway, it works now and I'm going to keep my hands off it as long as it does.

I do notice lots of intermittent failures in this car. Homelink sometimes fails for a day or two. It forgets the setting of the rear hatch opening. It can goes days where it suddenly shifts from D to S and then it will go weeks without doing that. Of course the dealer never experiences any of this when I bring it in and it's not in the logs.
Hi Billbak, I have the same intermittent problems as you did (automatic connection : can work 5 times in a row, then not at all...). Did you have a concrete way to fix this ? I have of course tried a few times to reset connections on phone and car, but that doesn't provide a viable, long-term solution.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Hi Billbak, I have the same intermittent problems as you did (automatic connection : can work 5 times in a row, then not at all...). Did you have a concrete way to fix this ? I have of course tried a few times to reset connections on phone and car, but that doesn't provide a viable, long-term solution.
My follow-up post on 1/24 in this thread has my repeatable, albeit, annoying process to connect. It does not fix anything, just gets things going one-time only. I was doing this every time I started the car for a few weeks. But as I said above, it connects automatically now and has every day since it came back.

Oddly, my wife's started working that day too. She has a 2019 e-tron. Wireless CarPlay never worked on her car, for almost three years, until it started working the same day mine started working again.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My follow-up post on 1/24 in this thread has my repeatable, albeit, annoying process to connect. It does not fix anything, just gets things going one-time only. I was doing this every time I started the car for a few weeks. But as I said above, it connects automatically now and has every day since it came back.

Oddly, my wife's started working that day too. She has a 2019 e-tron. Wireless CarPlay never worked on her car, for almost three years, until it started working the same day mine started working again.
I can see nothing from you on 1/24 in this thread?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertrand
I can see nothing from you on 1/24 in this thread?
My bad, 1/14. Repeated here:

FWIW, I found a reproducible way to get it to connect this afternoon. Not sure why anything changed this week, the phone and the car have not had any recent updates. Or more accurately, it worked fine since the last iOS update but then failed recently.
  • Start the car.
  • Wait for the signal that BT has connected, this is taking between three and five minutes now, it used to take far, far less time.
  • Go into settings on the phone, wireless, pick the car's 5G connection. Get the error message, "Hotspot login cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server." This is a big clue -- is there a cert somewhere that expired? Maybe the WWDC presentations will tell me about that.
  • Press OK on the error message.
  • Wait a few more minutes for the phone to connect to the car's hotspot. (I know, it said it can't but it does...)
  • Then press the "Phone Apps" icon on the main MMI screen. That tells me I need to be connected to the car's hotspot.
  • Press the "Goto connected devices" button. (I may have the exact wording of that wrong)
  • Select my phone.
  • CarPlay starts.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My bad, 1/14. Repeated here:

FWIW, I found a reproducible way to get it to connect this afternoon. Not sure why anything changed this week, the phone and the car have not had any recent updates. Or more accurately, it worked fine since the last iOS update but then failed recently.
  • Start the car.
  • Wait for the signal that BT has connected, this is taking between three and five minutes now, it used to take far, far less time.
  • Go into settings on the phone, wireless, pick the car's 5G connection. Get the error message, "Hotspot login cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server." This is a big clue -- is there a cert somewhere that expired? Maybe the WWDC presentations will tell me about that.
  • Press OK on the error message.
  • Wait a few more minutes for the phone to connect to the car's hotspot. (I know, it said it can't but it does...)
  • Then press the "Phone Apps" icon on the main MMI screen. That tells me I need to be connected to the car's hotspot.
  • Press the "Goto connected devices" button. (I may have the exact wording of that wrong)
  • Select my phone.
  • CarPlay starts.
Thanks, but this doesn't apply to my case since I don't have this secure connection thing error message.
I think I have eliminated every possible thing that would cause the BT connection not to work. Actually this is essentially the issue - BT connection is hazardous first and foremost, perhaps Carplay is just a subsequent thing.
In my place, what would you do besides pairing manually every time in order to force connection? Go to the dealer?
Old 02-27-2022, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires;[url=tel:25669875
25669875[/url]]I don't have CarPlay, but doing the 3-finger reboot of the MMI (holding the rockers up and pressing down on the ****) might help.
I’m not sure what rockers you’re holding up but to reboot the MMI in my 2021 you just press down on the volume **** until it reboots. It’s the same process as rebooting the MIB3 unit in my wife’s MK7 Golf R.