Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Emissions Warranty Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Emissions Warranty Success

so I put off fixing my TDI til the very last possible moment, because I wanted to get everything fixed I could at once.. then un**** this vehicle ASAP.

turns out this worked out wonderfully, fixed it in late February.. took it back in early April to get an oil leak fixed.. they had it 3 weeks and when I got it back, this is what they did:
  • Removed Engine to reseal upper oil pan
  • Replaced leaking rear main seal.
  • Replaced EGR Cooler & Flange
  • Replaced Water Pump
  • Replaced Oil Cooler Gaskets
  • New Coolant
  • New Power Steering Fluid
  • Full wheel alignment.
Now the only things left to worry about on this vehicle are the emissions crap and the HPFP.. so its time to yank the emissions crap off and try to bulletproof my HPFP.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Dang, that’s awesome, that’s a lot of work and you didn’t pay a dime right?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

nothing, they gave me this beautiful Turbo Blue 2020 Q5e loaner and an eTron charger for 3 weeks while I waited.. guess what I'mna buy next? Wife has already her exit plans for her VDub.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice, that was a lot of work covered. I’ll be interested to see the emissions removed and what you do with the hpfp.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

unfortunately I dont think a CP3 retrofit is in the cards for the Gen2, I'mna try to pull off what the 2Micron Contain Flow kit did for the 2L TDI.. we got so much room under the hood it should be doable, the plan is to fit a canister style 2-micron canister style pre-filter after the OEM filter, get one w/a water drain and perhaps a water sensor I can wire up to a buzzer that I'll hear when I park.. if the OEM filter has to go its no big deal, then tap the fuel return line from the HPFP and install an OEM style inline filter before it gets back to the tank.. then if/when it grenades, the return filter will catch it.. and in the meantime the 2micron canister should clean the fuel system really well to prevent a failure in the first place.

Once I hit ~140k miles I fully intend to just replace the HPFP outright w/a brand new unit.. mebe I'll invest in a nice built up stoker one and be one step closer to a big turbo upgrade.

RawTek Down Pipe, and DPF/SCR Delete pipes are in a box in my bus, I'll install em in a couple weeks.. I wanna go do a couple all day drives after this engine out and give it a real good lift inspection before I throw away the rest of the warranty..
Old 04-30-2020, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Now the only things left to worry about on this vehicle are the emissions crap and the HPFP.. so its time to yank the emissions crap off and try to bulletproof my HPFP.
I was reading the Extended Emissions Warranty Booklet today while putting together my Q7's service history, etc. on a spreadsheet and it reads (middle of page #8, second bullet under covered parts or systems):

"- The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure common rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators"

My thoughts are that if the HPFP failure is really covered/honored, then it may be worthwhile keeping the factory emissions, specially considering it is now covered to 10Y/120k miles.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

given all the other chain failures with a fixed vehicle, and how terrible it is now.. no thanks, its a risk I'm willing to take.. I bought a low mileage 1 owner vehicle and been stupid **** about high quality fuel and additives.. HPFP dont keep me up at night, if it did I wouldn't of traded in one Common Rail TDI for another.. You do know if they test your fuel and find ANY contanimates, like water or gasoline.. they wont honor that warranty right? There's a graveyard of dead TDI's under 120k miles w/HPFP failures that didnt get covered.

and despite common belief, a TD1 flag does not outright void your warranty.. it does your powertrain warranty, not the whole vehicle, all of the rest of the warranty is intact, including fuel system as other than the injectors the ECU software has no say over any of it, so literally the last point of failure in the system might be voided, and Ive had stuff fixed not related to engine no problems before w/my tuned vehicles.. IMHO there is no reasonable way to blame an aftermarket tune or any emissions modifications to a fuel pump failure, there are several reports on TDIclub of fully tuned TD1 vehicles getting HPFP's repaired so if your dealer dont suck *** like mine then its worth at least trying that first.. Honestly I think if anythings going to void my fuel system warranty its modifying it to add more filters heh.

With the fuel system modifications to contain a HPFP failure I would be able to repair it myself for a rather reasonable cost, and I enjoy wrenching and would use it as an excuse to go stage3.. since I got this thing fixed my bank account has grown by over $10,000.. so I could eat it just fine... If you include my previous TDI, and this TDI, and this Warranty work.. Ive gotten nearly $45k outta dieselgate, im good.

as far as I'm concerned this vehicle is never going back to a dealer again, and I'mna drive it til its wheels fall off.. the last of the great german diesels is gonna stay in my stables as long as I can keep it.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 04-30-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

You know where your at with it, just enjoy it. There is always a chance it will cost you more money, but the ride is worth it. You can't put a price on the enjoyment an satisfaction you get out of something. I put a tune on mine at 25k miles and I like it. I'm not gonna delete everything yet, but if it fails and is less expensive to delete I will do it, but then I will have to switch to Malone since Kerma only works with factory options.
The following users liked this post:
dreadlocks (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I tuned my brand new 2013 Golf TDI right after I changed its first oil at 5k and found no metal, I had my first 3 oil changes for free and I never used em.. It went back to dealer for first time when I gave it back to em at >65k miles 3 years later, I aint gonna lie, I was crying when I left the lot because that car brought me so much good times in the short period we were together.. but all in all those 3 years of new vehicle ownership cost me a whopping $6k + insurance and less than $0.10 a mile in fuel and maintenance.. Thats better than a cheap POS beater.

I wanted a tune since day one w/this vehicle, the only reason I didnt fix this years ago was to make one abusive last run at a warranty claim again.. and hey, who'd of thought virtually every common issue on this engine I'd have by now.. worked out well.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got a 1-Micron canister filter w/a water drain on the way, https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...r-3-5-dia.html

Going to put it inline after the OEM filter so it will only have to filter out 1-30 micron, if I ever find any water in the bowl I'll know the OEM filter is full of water too.. on the return to the tank I found a really nice high flow inline 30micron filter w/a magnet in it, since its after the 1-micron filter it does not need to be big, it should stay pretty much clean all the time but incase the HPFP goes that will stop most of it from being recirculated through the entire fuel system.. the magnet will make a HPFP failure diagnosis really fast, and might catch a failure early if it starts to go out slowly before severe damage.

Quick Reply: Emissions Warranty Success