Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Aftermarket tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Aftermarket tow Hitch

I have a 2013 Q7 and am considering an aftermarket hitch for towing bikes. I am wondering if any of you are happy with the after market hitches also if any of you could post a photo, I would appreciate it as I am curious how it looks cosmetically compared to the expensive Audi factory and after market kits available.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Audi one is rated higher + increased trailer brake capabilities

While I don't have pix of aftermarket tow hitch installations, this was not the key deciding point for me when I was contemplating a tow kit from Audi, or an aftermarket one.

FYI - at least for 2010 Q7 TDIs the Audi tow kit is rated higher than aftermarket by at least 1,000 lbs. In addition, when the tow kit is installed by Audi, the electronics are already set to modify Q7 behavior specifically for towing i.e. automatically adjusting air shock heights (if you have them) for towing, and a sensor turns on in your dash (normally hidden if not towing something with turn signals) to notify you of being in towing mode. Additionally, it also prevents you from turning on your rear fog warning lights (normally used under fog conditions in Europe). The factory tow kit may do other things that aren't as obvious but these are what I've directly observed.

The indicator may also adjust other aspects of the Q7 engine optimized for towing but it's hard to separate exactly since the engine also detects load and modifies its timing and fuel maps electronically to optimize.

Scroll down to see the 6615lb allowable tow weight with a factory installed tow kit.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2788515

NOTE: If you get the Audi one installed you'll need the Pollak/Jackson wire coverter plug in shown in the link above to hook up any kind of trailer wiring for the turn signals. This does NOT come standard with the Q7. Audi sells one but at the time it was around $40-50 which I thought was dumb considering I ordered mine specifically with a tow kit (a pricey option) and it doesn't come standard.

One other thing, this may or may not apply to you but if you're intending to haul a trailer that has its own brakes (some bike trailers have this but only the super nice ones - and by bikes I mean motorcycles) you'll need to purchase separately an electronic brake controller (Tekonsha) if you want the trailer brakes to activate whenever you press your brake pedal.

The factory installed Audi hitch also makes it easier to connect to the Tekonshas electronic brake controller needed for this vs. aftermaket hitches, hence the higher price of the factory hitch.

While I don't haul anything close to a full length Airstream trailer with its own brakes, it's a nice reselling point to know that someone could.

Originally Posted by bdafnis
I have a 2013 Q7 and am considering an aftermarket hitch for towing bikes. I am wondering if any of you are happy with the after market hitches also if any of you could post a photo, I would appreciate it as I am curious how it looks cosmetically compared to the expensive Audi factory and after market kits available.

Last edited by maximq7; 04-03-2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by maximq7
While I don't have pix of aftermarket tow hitch installations, this was not the key deciding point for me when I was contemplating a tow kit from Audi, or an aftermarket one.

FYI - at least for 2010 Q7 TDIs the Audi tow kit is rated higher than aftermarket by at least 1,000 lbs. In addition, when the tow kit is installed by Audi, the electronics are already set to modify Q7 behavior specifically for towing i.e. automatically adjusting air shock heights (if you have them) for towing, and a sensor turns on in your dash (normally hidden if not towing something with turn signals) to notify you of being in towing mode. Additionally, it also prevents you from turning on your rear fog warning lights (normally used under fog conditions in Europe). The factory tow kit may do other things that aren't as obvious but these are what I've directly observed.

The indicator may also adjust other aspects of the Q7 engine optimized for towing but it's hard to separate exactly since the engine also detects load and modifies its timing and fuel maps electronically to optimize.

Scroll down to see the 6615lb allowable tow weight with a factory installed tow kit.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2788515

NOTE: If you get the Audi one installed you'll need the Pollak/Jackson wire coverter plug in shown in the link above to hook up any kind of trailer wiring for the turn signals. This does NOT come standard with the Q7. Audi sells one but at the time it was around $40-50 which I thought was dumb considering I ordered mine specifically with a tow kit (a pricey option) and it doesn't come standard.

One other thing, this may or may not apply to you but if you're intending to haul a trailer that has its own brakes (some bike trailers have this but only the super nice ones - and by bikes I mean motorcycles) you'll need to purchase separately an electronic brake controller (Tekonsha) if you want the trailer brakes to activate whenever you press your brake pedal.

The factory installed Audi hitch also makes it easier to connect to the Tekonshas electronic brake controller needed for this vs. aftermaket hitches, hence the higher price of the factory hitch.

While I don't haul anything close to a full length Airstream trailer with its own brakes, it's a nice reselling point to know that someone could.
Thank you for your response. Your info was very informative. Since i will not be towing anything other than a Saris bike rack I will probably not go with the Audio hitch since the local dealer wants $900 for the kit and aprox $1000 in labor. Quite costly in my oponion when I will be hauling bicyles on a seasonal basis.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I haul bikes too

$1k for labor and the $900 for the tow kit seems awful high.

I just checked my purchase invoice to see what they charged me from Audi Jacksonville, Florida, and they charged me $550 for the tow kit from the factory back in 2010 for an allocated Audi Q7 TDI. By "allocated" I mean that my Q7 was on order by the dealership but had not yet been fully built and they were able to have the tow kit installed at the factory in Austria. Hence no line item for $1k labor. (Keep in mind that tow hitch prices probably changed since 2010.)

Check and see if the dealership is really doing the installation on site or in Austria because from what I've heard, if the dealership is doing the install vs. Audi at the plant in Austria, while yes it is technically an "Audi" tow kit, it is also rated at a lesser tow rate (vs. the 6615 lb max) than what you would get from the factory in Austria. That being said, go with a cheaper aftermarket tow hitch kit vs. the dealer installed accessory to save some coin.

BTW - I run a Kuat Sherpa to haul my Specialized Roubaix around. Every time I roll up to Asheville, NC, for the mountains I end up bringing my bike for some fun ascents.

Also, although I never thought I'd be hauling anything more than a hitch mounted bike rack or hitch mounted aluminum trailer, with my wife and 2 children (4 and 2 year olds) I've already had to rent full size 20' enclosed trailers from U-Haul 3 times in the past 3 years for various Ikea runs, mulch, home improvement items. Trailer hitch rentals are generally abut $30 from U-Haul vs. the $50 for the full size trucks. The ability to haul larger stuff has actually come in more frequently than I would have thought for me.

At any rate - I'm rambling a bit and it sounds like that you'll be more than satisfied going with an aftermarket installation but see if Audi will budge on your tow kit installation because $2k is a crazy big amount of money for a dealer installed tow kit.

Originally Posted by bdafnis
Thank you for your response. Your info was very informative. Since i will not be towing anything other than a Saris bike rack I will probably not go with the Audio hitch since the local dealer wants $900 for the kit and aprox $1000 in labor. Quite costly in my oponion when I will be hauling bicyles on a seasonal basis.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just realized - it sounds like you already have the 2013 Q7 in your possession vs. being in the process of taking delivery.

If that's the case and Audi dealer isn't budging on price then definitely aftermarket.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not all about hitch capacity or price. Audi build in larger transmission coolers in factory option hence the higher rating and higher price.
Aftermarket OEM or Curt will both have reduced capacity and should both be cheaper than factory option.
The trailer module will control the brake settings. Factory tow package cars have exactly the same brakes as others, they just perform different once trailer electrics are plugged in. As does anti sway, suspension, parking sensors, bulb fail, transmission for that matter.

The Curt hitch is not as good/snug a fit or build as OEM but you wont really see teh difference to look at it outside the bumper.

PS there are a couple of retrofit links in the spreadsheet DIY section of sheet 4 I think, just look at the bottom for the right page/sheet

Last edited by Jusforfun; 04-03-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default After market hitch

I am using an aftermarket hitch since 2007, on my 2007 Q7 3.6l.
I also heared about cooling system with a factory hitch thing. In a nut shell, that is BS.
I pulled A4 around across U.S. from atlanta GA. to seattle WA. on a u-haul transpotation flat bad on aftermarket hitch with aftermarket controll module.
My Q7 was amazing and I liked Audi more.

That will be fine with an after market hitch for bike.
I am happy with my aftermarket tow hitch.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sealf76
I am using an aftermarket hitch since 2007, on my 2007 Q7 3.6l.
I also heared about cooling system with a factory hitch thing. In a nut shell, that is BS.
I pulled A4 around across U.S. from atlanta GA. to seattle WA. on a u-haul transpotation flat bad on aftermarket hitch with aftermarket controll module.
My Q7 was amazing and I liked Audi more.

That will be fine with an after market hitch for bike.
I am happy with my aftermarket tow hitch.
I never said you couldnt, what is more I agree that an aftermarket hitch will be fine for bikes but why bother. Its Audi AG that put the lower rating on it and obviously there is nothing stopping you from towing over teh max rated but if your tranny blows (unlikely) or you are in an accident and found not to be in compliance then you might be up that creek looking for a rowing stick. Just sayin.
Anyway, on what basis are you calling BS? Is it because you compared two transmission coolers? I did! or you compare the hitches because there is quite a difference there (well with Curt anyway).
Pretty sure the aftermarket hitch comes with an aftermarket supplied genuine Audi control module.
I only mentioned the coolers by way of explaining why a factory hitch was so much more expensive. I was trying to make the point that an aftermarket OEM hitch should be cheaper too.

I have towed quite a few miles too (OEM Factory fit on EU TDI) but not at full capacity. My experience like yours is that the Q7 copes easily, in fact I have always got better MPG when towing as I drive a bit more gently and not as fast. I suspect my transmission does not need the extra cooling for the vast majority of towing and that I will never test it.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No offense. If I need to, and/or you want me to, my apology for the comment that I made.
I totally agree with you. Audi people are smart and they are pursuing a perfection on their car. That is one of reasons why I like Audi. I appreciate your gentle respond and all extra explain you made.

With all my respect, you have a nice day.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

So anyone that went aftermarket, any issues in the programming for the trailer lights etc?

I have a larger trailer with brakes and LED lights and the dealer wants like some folks mentioned, I think it was $500-750 for the OEM hitch plus labor vs the Curt aftermarket but I was concerned about having to go back to Audi to code the lights etc. My aftermarket hitch place is one of the best in the business but they said they would splice into the rear harness???

They looked up the model and year and it showed them what needed to be spliced to get the lights working on the trailer but some folks mentioned LED might create another problem.

As sesnsitive as the AUdi electronics are wanted to check

Quick Reply: Q7 Aftermarket tow Hitch