Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

'08 Q7 3.6 Premium: Lease Return or Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you get a $2500 quote to CPO the car? Mine was $3600. I guess it may depend on your residual and the dealer buyback from Audi FS.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Anderlecht
I think I am going to Carmax next week to appraise the car and see how much it is worth. From the looks of it, it seems many of you are suggesting the purchase of the car and then sell it over to Carmax. Let's just hope that the 1 hour plus drive is worth it.

Now the questions are, if I am going to sell it Carmax, is it worth to CPO the car for the extra $2.5K?

Should I request them to fix the brakes and replace the rotors as a condition or should I ask for new tires while I am at it? Or is it pushing it?

Thanks for the replies guys.
If you were to sell the car to Carmax, you don't have to do a thing. All you need is your payoff amount (you can call Audi Financial to inquire that) and Carmax will do EVERYTHING for you. At the end of the deal, you will probably get a check from Carmax for the equity u might have on your car.

Now, if you were to bring the car to Audi dealership to return the car at the end of the lease, that's a totally different story. It depends on you and the dealership on what you want the car to be certified or etc. But I found that to be VERY hassle and the conditions and outcomes will be too subjective depending on who you speak to.

Another option is, you could sell yr car now and get a CPO from the dealership.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Houstonmobilian
When you sell your car, you don't pay taxes. Basically, you need to know how much the lease payoff is and how much Carmax offered to buy yr car. In his case, he should have some equity left if he decide to sell his car to Carmax and not getting anything. Or else, he can always shop for his next purchase at Carmax to while selling his Q7 there to save on taxes.
I basically was not trying to say that he need to pay tax to sell the car to Carfax, but should not he first by the car from Audi, pay tax and then resell it to Carfax? Or, are you saying that Carfax will be contacting Audi and buying a car from Audi directly - I do not think so.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tric
How did you get a $2500 quote to CPO the car? Mine was $3600. I guess it may depend on your residual and the dealer buyback from Audi FS.
That's what my dealer told me. If you don't mind me asking, what year is your car and what is your residual?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Houstonmobilian
If you were to sell the car to Carmax, you don't have to do a thing. All you need is your payoff amount (you can call Audi Financial to inquire that) and Carmax will do EVERYTHING for you. At the end of the deal, you will probably get a check from Carmax for the equity u might have on your car.

Now, if you were to bring the car to Audi dealership to return the car at the end of the lease, that's a totally different story. It depends on you and the dealership on what you want the car to be certified or etc. But I found that to be VERY hassle and the conditions and outcomes will be too subjective depending on who you speak to.

Another option is, you could sell yr car now and get a CPO from the dealership.
I set up an appointment for next week and so we shall see.

But Houstonmobilian, what do you mean by selling my car now and get a CPO from the dealer later? I quite don't understand this process.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Millennium
I basically was not trying to say that he need to pay tax to sell the car to Carfax, but should not he first by the car from Audi, pay tax and then resell it to Carfax? Or, are you saying that Carfax will be contacting Audi and buying a car from Audi directly - I do not think so.
That is exactly what happened in my case. Carmax bought the car directly from Nissan Financial, all I had to do was provide my lease account info and they called and got the payoff amount. No taxes paid on my part for selling the car and no taxes paid by Carmax because they are reselling the vehicle.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you guys don't mind me asking... I know this is sort of repeating my question. If you were in my situation, would you:

1.) Keep the car.
2.) Get in to a new Q7 (TDI or Gas).
3.) Sell to Carmax and move on to a different model.

The only reason that I am inclined to keep the '08 is because it has been trouble free. The original '07 was a lemon in which Audi would not admit to, but replaced it.

On the other hand, I am worried about maintenance costs for this car because I recently paid about $350 for a wheel alignment and a tire rotation. Imagine what a 60K mile service would cost? The idiots at the dealer didn't even bother to put back on the 20 lugnut caps and put it inside a coffee cup in which they drank out of.

I am in such a dillemma because the wife wants a Mini Cooper S (test drove it yesterday and wow it handles and rides like a go-kart) or a Prius V or a Lexus HS Hybrid. She does still admit that the Q7 looks right for me. Mind you, I am 6'1". Decisions, decisions. I never experienced a more stressing decision making period in my life since college!

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

My suggestion, take it to carmax first and get the quote because that will have a lot of influence on your decision. At that point, then you can weigh what your best options are. If you are like me, you lease cars because (a) you enjoy driving a new car every three years, and (b) you don't want to worry about the maintenance costs. If I were buying a vehicle, I would look at the japanese brands because typically I have found higher reliability and lower repair costs.

If carmax gives you a good quote, its good for 7 days I think so you have time to make your final decision. If you decide to take it, you can use that money for the drive offs on whatever new vehicle you choose. For me, I'm not sold on getting another Q7, not that I haven't enjoyed mine, but its nice to drive something different after three years and more importantly it seems that Audi isnt offering the same lease support on the Q7 right now as compared to BMW and MB. Because an X5, ML-Series and a Q7 will all fit our family needs and for the most part they are more similar than different, I will likely choose the one that ends up with the lowest monthly payment for the next 3 years.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by il mio Mugello Q7
My suggestion, take it to carmax first and get the quote because that will have a lot of influence on your decision. At that point, then you can weigh what your best options are. If you are like me, you lease cars because (a) you enjoy driving a new car every three years, and (b) you don't want to worry about the maintenance costs. If I were buying a vehicle, I would look at the japanese brands because typically I have found higher reliability and lower repair costs.

If carmax gives you a good quote, its good for 7 days I think so you have time to make your final decision. If you decide to take it, you can use that money for the drive offs on whatever new vehicle you choose. For me, I'm not sold on getting another Q7, not that I haven't enjoyed mine, but its nice to drive something different after three years and more importantly it seems that Audi isnt offering the same lease support on the Q7 right now as compared to BMW and MB. Because an X5, ML-Series and a Q7 will all fit our family needs and for the most part they are more similar than different, I will likely choose the one that ends up with the lowest monthly payment for the next 3 years.
The thing with Japanese brands is a mixed bag. I've owned a 2000 Maxima as well as a '03 G35 Coupe and they both were not as reliable as I hoped although they were good cars. Perhaps it is the dealer service dept that was hiring all high school drop outs to fix my car. But when I purchased the GS300, the story was totally different. The car has been solidly reliable with a few maintenance issues. However, the Lexus service cost is pretty steep, but not as much as the Audi. The local dealer is charging a $5 Homeland Security fee for a Audi loaner because they switched to a Rental car company that handles loaners. The loaners are old and dirty. When I go to Lexus, they always have a brand new Lexus waiting for me to take home. We also have a 07 Odyssey at home and that is not so reliable as I have hoped either. There is always some problem coming up randomly. For some reason, it always seems that I end up choosing "not-so-reliable" cars. I guess it is just my luck.

I also had few other questions. Since the car has 2 months left before the lease is up:

1.) Wouldn't Carmax try to offer residual price once they find out they residual price from Audi?

2.) What happens to the 2 extra remaining payments left on the lease? Would Carmax take this into equation as well?

I know I am a bother, but this was the first time I ever leased a car so I am in the need to know, but thank you for the replies. They really do help!

Last edited by Anderlecht; 12-02-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Anderlecht
I set up an appointment for next week and so we shall see.

But Houstonmobilian, what do you mean by selling my car now and get a CPO from the dealer later? I quite don't understand this process.
Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant is you could sell your '08 Q7 to Carmax and you can shopped for any CPO one (another Q7) from any Audi dealerships.

And yes, if you were to sell your Q7 to Carmax, you have nothing to worry about. Carmax will do EVERYTHING for you!

Quick Reply: '08 Q7 3.6 Premium: Lease Return or Purchase?