Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

'08 Q7 3.6 Premium: Lease Return or Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Anderlecht
If you guys don't mind me asking... I know this is sort of repeating my question. If you were in my situation, would you:

1.) Keep the car.
2.) Get in to a new Q7 (TDI or Gas).
3.) Sell to Carmax and move on to a different model.

The only reason that I am inclined to keep the '08 is because it has been trouble free. The original '07 was a lemon in which Audi would not admit to, but replaced it.

On the other hand, I am worried about maintenance costs for this car because I recently paid about $350 for a wheel alignment and a tire rotation. Imagine what a 60K mile service would cost? The idiots at the dealer didn't even bother to put back on the 20 lugnut caps and put it inside a coffee cup in which they drank out of.

I am in such a dillemma because the wife wants a Mini Cooper S (test drove it yesterday and wow it handles and rides like a go-kart) or a Prius V or a Lexus HS Hybrid. She does still admit that the Q7 looks right for me. Mind you, I am 6'1". Decisions, decisions. I never experienced a more stressing decision making period in my life since college!

Thanks again guys!
I'd say for economical standpoint, you should discuss your concern to your dealership first. If the discussion is not favoring you, you know you can simply sell your car to Carmax. The quote from Carmax is good for 7 days. Get the extra money and go get yourself a certified Q7 from any Audi dealerships or other makers of car.

That's what I did with my 2 other leased vehicles since my mileage on those vehicles were low. I didn't feel like returning them to the dealer without getting any equity back.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Houstonmobilian
Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant is you could sell your '08 Q7 to Carmax and you can shopped for any CPO one (another Q7) from any Audi dealerships.

And yes, if you were to sell your Q7 to Carmax, you have nothing to worry about. Carmax will do EVERYTHING for you!
Don't get me wrong, I love the car because I am so used to it, but I really want to get into a new vehicle. I don't think I am going with another CPO Q7 at this point. The reason I say this is because, my remote has failed and I have to unlock and lock the car manually and every time I start the engine during cold weather below 40 degrees, I get the COOLANT light intermittently flashing only to go away after 2 minutes. Also, I looked at another Q7 (2010) and the dealer said it will cost WAY more for a comparable one because Audi isn't pushing lease deals right now. The Q7 is so perfect for me, but I am getting afraid of high maintenance fees as the miles go higher. Tires alone for the 20" is $1500 from Costco. Brakes another $1500 from Audi. Ouch.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

The thing with Japanese brands is a mixed bag. I've owned a 2000 Maxima as well as a '03 G35 Coupe and they both were not as reliable as I hoped although they were good cars. Perhaps it is the dealer service dept that was hiring all high school drop outs to fix my car. But when I purchased the GS300, the story was totally different. The car has been solidly reliable with a few maintenance issues. However, the Lexus service cost is pretty steep, but not as much as the Audi. The local dealer is charging a $5 Homeland Security fee for a Audi loaner because they switched to a Rental car company that handles loaners. The loaners are old and dirty. When I go to Lexus, they always have a brand new Lexus waiting for me to take home. We also have a 07 Odyssey at home and that is not so reliable as I have hoped either. There is always some problem coming up randomly. For some reason, it always seems that I end up choosing "not-so-reliable" cars. I guess it is just my luck.

I also had few other questions. Since the car has 2 months left before the lease is up:

1.) Wouldn't Carmax try to offer residual price once they find out they residual price from Audi?

2.) What happens to the 2 extra remaining payments left on the lease? Would Carmax take this into equation as well?

I know I am a bother, but this was the first time I ever leased a car so I am in the need to know, but thank you for the replies. They really do help!
No, first of all, you need to get your payoff amount from Audi Financial. Call them or get it online via http://www.audifs.com. That's all you have to know if you were to sell your car now to Carmax. Like I said before, you have nothing to worry about. It doesn't matter if you have 6 more payments or 10 more payments, all Carmax care is to know what your payoff is. And to answer your first question, no, Carmax will have no access or authority to get that information if you don't agreed to sell your car to them first. They appraised the car based on market value (perhaps close to KBB).
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

You may private message me if you have anymore concern or question.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd say for economical standpoint, you should discuss your concern to your dealership first. If the discussion is not favoring you, you know you can simply sell your car to Carmax. The quote from Carmax is good for 7 days. Get the extra money and go get yourself a certified Q7 from any Audi dealerships or other makers of car.

That's what I did with my 2 other leased vehicles since my mileage on those vehicles were low. I didn't feel like returning them to the dealer without getting any equity back.
You're right. I will talk to my sales advisor this week. The original sales man was such a pleasure to work with as he understood all of my concerns. However, he is no longer there. The sales person I talked to seems like the type who only wants to make a sale. He just doesn't seem to care as much. I just hope that he can take care of me. We will see.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're right. I will talk to my sales advisor this week. The original sales man was such a pleasure to work with as he understood all of my concerns. However, he is no longer there. The sales person I talked to seems like the type who only wants to make a sale. He just doesn't seem to care as much. I just hope that he can take care of me. We will see.
I will be watching this thread to see where it goes. Our leased 2007 is due back in June, but I am sure Audi will start sending buyout offers soon. I am not encouraged by the poor lease offers(not surprised either though) as I won't get another one if the price is significantly different. You are in a unique position as they upgraded you to an 08 without changing the terms or residual and the replacement is a much more valuable car plus has a higher value since it is an 08. You should be able to make some money by selling to Carmax. You could also see if the dealer will match Carmax's offer if you want another Q7. The car should be worth more to them as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got back from carmax. Their offer would be a little less than what it would cost me to purchase the car. I talked to the dealer again and he said in all I will he paying:

residual $29.5k + tax7% + CPO fee(2.5k) plus brakes and maybe tires minus the two remaining payments. . It will be at least 1-2k more than carmax's offer. The dealer is also advising to put in the costs to bring the vehicle into certifiable condition into the monthly payments. So now I am hoping that they dont try to factor in the 2 payments into the monthly payments without my knowledge.

If I were to sell to carmax it would leave me with around $1.5k.

OMG. DECISIONS DECISIONS. now I am grabbing and pulling my hair out! Wife is saying to keep while my brother says to sell. Arrrgh!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got back from carmax. Their offer would be a little less than what it would cost me to purchase the car. I talked to the dealer again and he said in all I will he paying:

residual $29.5k + tax7% + CPO fee(2.5k) plus brakes and maybe tires minus the two remaining payments. . It will be at least 1-2k more than carmax's offer. The dealer is also advising to put in the costs to bring the vehicle into certifiable condition into the monthly payments. So now I am hoping that they dont try to factor in the 2 payments into the monthly payments without my knowledge.

If I were to sell to carmax it would leave me with around $1.5k.

OMG. DECISIONS DECISIONS. now I am grabbing and pulling my hair out! Wife is saying to keep while my brother says to sell. Arrrgh!
How bad do u want to keep the old Q7? I will have the same situation like you next summer. If I knew I have an equity like you ($1.5K from Carmax), I will definitely take advantage on that and sell it to them. Then with the extra money, re-lease a Q7 or any other car. This is best time to lease/purchase a car now anyway.

Food for thought, if you would have sold it to Carmax now, you not only get $1.5K, you will save the next 2 lease payments as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Food for thought, if you would have sold it to Carmax now, you not only get $1.5K, you will save the next 2 lease payments as well.
True, but he also loses use of the car for those 2 months. The question is, if he waits for 2 more months would the offer still be 1500 above the payoff?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the dinks are going to make you pay for brakes and 2 tires?? and CPO fee? What is the CPO fee? Dont you have a price in the contract you buy the car for? You can forego the stealer and buy directly from AFS?

Quick Reply: '08 Q7 3.6 Premium: Lease Return or Purchase?